Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Clubman Estate Turbo - Been to the rollers!

monsterob

264 Posts
Member #: 11029

Crewe

nice ... i guess im going to have to pull my finger out with mine

Outside the box

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

On 3rd Jan, 2019 monsterob said:
nice ... i guess im going to have to pull my finger out with mine

Cheers, so do i. I wanted this running lasy year 2018. But motivation towards the end dropped espcially towards the end of the year. Once we get settled with the new baby i'll hopefully be able to grab an hour here and there to start knocking jobs off my to do list.

Still got a new bits to buy though.

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Well seeing as the last time i updated this was nearly a year ago, i thought its best if i give a small update.

As always i never get much time on the car. So updates have been few and far between.

Engine is in, started adding all the extra turbo parts. Bolted on the fuel reg, edis, added an extra fuse box.

I've decided to use a swirl pot wit twin pump set up due to the estate tanks shape. I've put this inside the boot area. I need to drill the boot floor ready for the grommets to run the hose through. And need to plum in the regulator to.

Ive made a start on the wiring but i keep putting this off, even though its only simple earth and switched live stuff. Also need to finish coverting the start motor wiring.

Really need to buy an exhaust for this. Going to use the playmini big bore estate system. I did have one for a saloon but sold rather then modify it to fit the estate.

sorry for the waffle heres some pics.

Attachments:

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Keep chipping away. You’ll get there eventually mate.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Been lucky enough to get 2 mornings on the car this week. First morning was putting the boot plate back in with the swirl pot on. I did want to do more but it was raining and i got piss wet through.

Today was spent connecting the first of the fuel hoses up. I ran one from the swirl pot to the filter and high pressure pump. Then i've fitted the lower engine steadies then ive refitted the carb. I fitted the gaskets between each part and my homemade heat shield.

Not much else to update but its a step closer.

monsterob

264 Posts

Crewe

Just starting to nail mine together .... been collecting parts for three Bingley's i worked out this year will be the fourth !!!!!
which pump have you used to lift from the estate tank to the swirl pot and then which have you used to go from the pot to regulator ?

Outside the box

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

On 11th Jan, 2020 monsterob said:
Just starting to nail mine together .... been collecting parts for three Bingley's i worked out this year will be the fourth !!!!!
which pump have you used to lift from the estate tank to the swirl pot and then which have you used to go from the pot to regulator ?

Lift pump is one of those cube facet ones. Then the high pressure pump is the one Phil sells. This has been off the road 6 years now. Originally just needed some MOT stuff a new sunroof after someone slashed it and an engine refresh. But plans changed along the way etc, house moves and children

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Long time no update. Seeing as we complain the forum isn't being used as much I best update this thread. Not a great deal to say.

Car is running now. Yay! But there is still loads to do to get it MOT ready. I drove it to the road end and back today. Not far, but shown a few issues. Front wheels have too much negative camber. Ride height needs taking up a bit, passenger side wheel is too far forward in the arch causing rub on the slightest bit of lock. Small leak out the oil temp sensor and breather hoses need connecting up as it's spraying a little oil out the timing cover breather. The hose did turn up when I was packing up.

Attachments:

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Nice one mate, getting there.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Set the ride height to more acceptable level. The back was too low and the front is about right.

Passenger side front panel was catching now its the drivers side. Rather then cut the front panel I've bent the lip out on the outside and bent it in more on the inside. I need to adjust the tie rods because I made them longer in the hope to push the wheel back to clear the panel.

Me and Phoebe took it to the road end and back again. Think I hit boost twice car twisted think I shit my pants.

Attachments:

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

The weather was better yesterday, so I took the opportunity to get the mini out. I sorted an issue I had with the alternator I'd previously fitted a diode because turning the key off didn't kill the engine. Turns out I'd fitted the diode the wrong way round! With that sorted I was able to run it up the road a couple of times.

I got it up to temp and i tried to adjust the fuelling at idle. I tried weakening the mixture closer to 14.7 but the engine seemed happier around 12.5-13 on the AFR gauge. I'm using the map that John posted up years ago from the Metro Van.

I need to change where I take my vacuum take offs from as I'm not getting vacuum at idle on the boost gauge. I've bought some take offs and I'm going to drill and tap the manifold.

I've got a small oil leak coming from the oil feed/pressure take off on the front of the block to sort, and a small leak from the carb. As the inlet needs to come off to be drilled and tapped I might get a rebuild kit from Phil and give it a once over.

Attachments:

Mini_matt_106

14 Posts
Member #: 11947

lovely looking estate!

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

John's van map was a bit tasty if I remember correctly. I used it before I got to the rollers, a few cells got knocked down by Neil Slark. Happy to share mine if you want?

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

On 1st Mar, 2021 e5tus said:
John's van map was a bit tasty if I remember correctly. I used it before I got to the rollers, a few cells got knocked down by Neil Slark. Happy to share mine if you want?

That would be awesome. What turbo are you using? My engine is 1310, phase 2 cam, Benross head, Gt17

I've added a picture of the engine bay. It isn't the neatest but it'll do for now. I'm waiting on a minispares delivery to arrive so I can get on with the jobs I have waiting.

Attachments:

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

On 1st Mar, 2021 hazpalmer said:
That would be awesome. What turbo are you using? My engine is 1310, phase 2 cam, Benross head, Gt17

I'm using a T3 with billet internals and 360 thrust, other than the head, the engine is standard 1275 metro.

I haven't been back to see Neil since 2015, a bit overdue, but when it's working it's hard to prioritise fettling. Map are on my dinosaur laptop down the unit, will grab it this week and take some snapshots.

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

On 3rd Mar, 2021 e5tus said:
On 1st Mar, 2021 hazpalmer said:

I'm using a T3 with billet internals and 360 thrust, other than the head, the engine is standard 1275 metro.

I haven't been back to see Neil since 2015, a bit overdue, but when it's working it's hard to prioritise fettling. Map are on my dinosaur laptop down the unit, will grab it this week and take some snapshots.

Cheers dude. I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle tuning mine at the moment. There's a guy locally or as close as I can get. He knows megajolt and minis but he's never done a turbo mini, he has done turbo cars he said and would take it steady to begin with.

Recently I broke my oil pressure feed pipe trying to solve a leak. I've now sinced fixed that. I'm replaced the seals in the carb with a service kit, just waiting on turbo Phil to get some needles in stock so I can get another BDD and a BCA.

Does anyone use the manifold locating rings?

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

On 3rd Mar, 2021 e5tus said:
I haven't been back to see Neil since 2015, a bit overdue, but when it's working it's hard to prioritise fettling.

Ok, here's the map, but caveats first: This was done in 2015 at 7psi (~50kPa), verto clutch was slipping at 101hp so we didn't go further. Explains why the map kinda fades off into whatever was there before.

Don't know what boost you are running, but maybe this won't be ideal. I should probably book another session to finish this tune!

Thank you for making me actually dig it out and cast an eye, something I've just assumed was buttoned up from a while ago.

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

I'm not sure just yet. 10-15psi would be ideal I think. I'd be happy to crack 150hp engine is more then capable of it.

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

Here you go. This should be a decent basis for you. Usual caveats apply! Good luck with the couple of jobs

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

On 22nd Apr, 2021 e5tus said:

Here you go. This should be a decent basis for you. Usual caveats apply! Good luck with the couple of jobs

Cheers dude. I've got couple of days off next week, so I'm going to see what I can get done then. I've messaged someone who has the gear to do tracking/geometry and he will be able to do that around the end of May. So once that's done I can look at heading to the rollers. I also need to do an oil change, I've just got some comma 20w50 in but I've got a fresh filter and some millars CTV to go in along with one of those gold magnet sump plugs.

monsterob

264 Posts

Crewe

Stuck again with mine ... Now painted but not really had time to start putting it back together hours at work increased plus increased demand on house maintenance *surprised* it will be finished one day

Outside the box

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Going to get the front geometry set on Saturday. I've had the car running since I rebuilt the carb. I put the throttle linkage springs on the wrong side though. I've just ordered a forge bleed valve to replace the cheap ebay one I currently have fitted. The new vac take offs work, I'm now seeing vaccum at idle and the car boosts etc.

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

https://youtube.com/shorts/G-imZW0FaBI?feature=share

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

Excellent work, a good feeling when it works!

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Took the mini down to Richard and Chris at mini performance today. They managed to get the tracking, castor and camber set up after much back and forth to get it right. It was only the front as the rear isn't adjustable. Was a good chance to look at the mini up om the ramp as well.

Attachments:

Home > Show Us Yours! > Clubman Estate Turbo - Been to the rollers!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: