Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Clubman Estate Turbo - Been to the rollers!

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

New forge twin piston dump valve fitted today, replacing the plastic bosch type copy. Took the dash pot off and emptied the 20w50 and put in SU oil in. Done about 20 miles fuelling seems good just rich but I knew that using the BCA needle. There's a lean out going from off throttle to coming back on throttle for a second before fuelling looks more ideal. Don't know if this can be ironed out with profiling the needle or is just inherent using a carb.

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Do you still have the part throttle lean off tube connected?

Shane

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

20w50 back in ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

On 9th Nov, 2021 shane said:
Do you still have the part throttle lean off tube connected?

Shane

No its blocked.

It was the same with the 20w50 in the dash pot Robert. When I richened the idle mixture it did reduce how much it leaned out.

I'm using the green (12oz) spring at the moment. Could this be too strong on actuator pressure ~7psi

Edited by hazpalmer on 10th Nov, 2021.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

a fair enough haz , maybe try shimming the piston on the rod a little ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Took the car to the rolling road today. Got the car on the rollers. Mike checked the timing and it was 25 degrees out. So this would have to be corrected with the map, but my laptop back light was knackered. We did try and use it but have up and used one of Mike's. The first wouldn't connect then we used another running XP and we could actually see what was going on. He wrote a rough map.

Ran the car up and the clutch was slipping. I thought that was game over! He ran it up again and it was fine so it just need bedding in a little.

My boost gauge over reads he found out as well. Boost peaks at 19psi and settled at 17. Power is 150hp at the flywheel and 130hp at the wheels. We didn't bleed any extra off so I'm guessing my half a hole of pre load is more then I thought!!!

Fuelling is good, I'm just using a BCA needle with SU dash pot oil in the carb. There is room for a little more boost up top as it richens up.

Turbo Phil popped up as well as he's local. I took my kids along as the Mrs was working today, which made things a bit harder but we got there in the end.

I plan to improve a few bits now it's set up but my intention is just to enjoy it and have fun!

Attachments:

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Good result, at that power level the car is pokey and very usable, much more and it becomes a handful.

Shane

steve1275

849 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Well done! Sounds like a challenging day...

'Where does the engine go?'

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

On 14th Nov, 2021 steve1275 said:
Well done! Sounds like a challenging day...

It was! Got there now and that's the main thing.

Took the mini about today because why not it was dry. I drove about for a bit gently just to warm things up. I was comijg to a straight bit out of a tight corner I thought fuck it I'll give it some! Revs rising turbo starts spooling up and then bang ting ting ting! I thought shit I've broke it! Switched the engine off and coasted into a gate way. Jumped out looked underneath and exhaust had fallen off at the down pipe join. So I had a towel in the car and used that to take the exhaust off, stuck it in the car and drove home like a straight piped v8. Oh and bought some donuts on the way home as well.

Once the car was home I took my mates trailer back, stopped off at halfords on the way back for some exhaust paste. After lunch I got it fitted back on and made sure the clamp was extra tight this time. And took it back out because the Mrs needed some parcels posting.

hazpalmer627

10 Posts
Member #: 12185

I've been using the mini lately when it's been dry, and today was one of those days. I took my daughter to a party and on the way back after a bit of boost *bang bang bang* out the back of the exhaust. I thought its never done that before then the car cut out. Pulled into a lay by and the car would turn over but not fire.

I think the trigger wheel has slipped again! This is after using thread lock. I was already in the process of sourcing another bottom pulley so I can get one of Tom Fentons machined pulleys and sensor brackets. Also I'll fit a different bolt to the Allen headed one fitted now.

Attachments:

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

If you have one of the pulleys with a large damper on I can machine the trigger pattern to it.

Shane

Attachments:

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Hopefully just the trigger wheel as you suspect mate.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

hazpalmer627

10 Posts

On 29th Jan, 2022 shane said:
If you have one of the pulleys with a large damper on I can machine the trigger pattern to it.

Shane

Thank you, I've spoken to Tom Fenton about doing one with his bracket. Just waiting on mine to arrive. I bought another off ebay, minispares are out of stock on new ones.

hazpalmer627

10 Posts

On 30th Jan, 2022 Turbo Phil said:
Hopefully just the trigger wheel as you suspect mate.

Phil.

Fingers crossed. I whipped the plugs out today and just turned the engine over by hand. The trigger wheel didn't seem loose but I'll know more when I take it apart

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

Did you get to the bottom of the issues?

hazpalmer627

10 Posts

Bit of an update. I fitted the new trigger wheel and sensor. Fired up the car just using the EDIS to get 10 degrees. I managed to borrow a timing light from a friend to confirm the timing and it was spot on.

Since we've had some good weather lately I've been using the mini to get to work and run about. Just doing small jobs at the moment. Things like putting proper clips on the pot joints rather then cable ties. A few of my hose clips for the intercooler piping are iffy so I've ordered some better ones. I plan on changing my lift pump mounting in a hope to reduce the noise coming from it.

hazpalmer627

10 Posts

A friend at work noticed the downpipe was touching the pot joint. This must have been from changing the pulley because I had the engine steady off. You csn see where it was rubbing, luckily it hasn't blown a hole in it

Attachments:

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

On 29th Mar, 2022 hazpalmer627 said:
A friend at work noticed the downpipe was touching the pot joint. This must have been from changing the pulley because I had the engine steady off. You csn see where it was rubbing, luckily it hasn't blown a hole in it

Mine did the same, the back box fixed locations were pushing the system forward slightly, needed to trim the length of link pipe and used a better slip joint fixing after downpipe. Had formed a decent little radius!

hazpalmer627

10 Posts

Yeh there was a small radius already, that rubbing just made it worse.

My T5 caravelle has a running issue so the mini is on daily duties until its fixed.

Currently get a lean misfire when pulling away after that it's fine. I did try making the mixture richer, but this has had no effect. So tonight I gave the needle a little tickle between stations 2 and 4 so I'll see tomorrow if that's made a difference. I've also swapped the damper oil for some thick gear oil to see if that makes an improvement

jimmy

1300 Posts
Member #: 829
Post Whore

essex

any up date

1293 Turbo mini

Home > Show Us Yours! > Clubman Estate Turbo - Been to the rollers!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: