Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Minus 7 port turbo

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Consider your initiation passed.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

On 18th Aug, 2015 apbellamy said:
Consider your initiation passed.

Hahaha, I just need a sticker and to put my turbo engine in now.

On 18th Aug, 2015 TurboDave16V said:
Is that a "new" CV or from a time when they made them by the tens of thousands?

It was a good minispares one from the end of the broken shaft that's only 2000 miles old. I couldn't get the broken bit out at MITP. The CV from on the shaft I got in the autojumble looked well past it. The inboard joint I inspected and it was perfect.

I guess they made some out of cheese at some point?!

I think the shaft was the weaker recess/groved type. The new one has no groves.

On 18th Aug, 2015 oli79 said:
Did you get home ok chief?

Yea all good thank you :). Except having to deal with the M25.

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

jonny when you are next over this way I can sort you out with a TM sticker for your screen, how ever it will cost you £3000.000 deal!?

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Be the best 3k I've ever spent lol.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Not the first time I've seen a broken shaft repaired in the pits at Pod, all just to get home.

There's a lot to be said in having the balls to drive a car to an event then hammer it on the track and still drive home.

For me though, tailoring the car there lifts the worry about getting home if you break it. That in its self makes you push harder as your not so much bothered about breaking it especially if you've got a fair distance to drive home. Look at Simon, would he have run 36 runs over the weekend, win a trophy and achieve a personal best if he knew he had to drive it home as well. (Probably) *happy*

Edited by Sprocket on 18th Aug, 2015.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

yep!!!

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

oli79

1713 Posts
Member #: 8480
MS Paint flat cap champion & Morris Ital Lover

From Sheffield now live in York tha noz

Simons off his tits of course he would lol

On 18th Oct, 2013 apbellamy said:
I am feeling particularly BACish today.

On 5th Oct, 2014 Shauna said:
What that's crazy, you go commando hahaha! How heavy is your helmet *tongue*?

The Morris Ital assassin!

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

My last launch at pod pulled 2 gearbox steady bolts through the holl and bent a solid top steady, leant the engine back so far the actualtor feed pipe got crushed as i grabbed second gear the boost spiked at 35psi where the boost cut kicked in so hard the shock sheared 2 intercooler mounts, I lifted and re applied the throttle to find the 35psi hard cut again I lifted and rolled to the line
After struggling to get gears smoothely i squeezed everything back under the bonnet and left it ready to drive it home :)
I never drove it again and upon strip down it turned out the primary gear had also shit its top hat and bush

It had done 2 rwyb weekends back to back avon then pod 600+ miles in 10 days

After that feeling of lost hope and worry for 3 hour drive home i will never drive it to a drag event again

Especially as i had a trailer and towcar sat on the drive

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

You dont need a trailer... i drive the shit out of mine n not worry bout getting back.. id just get it towed out of the gates a couple miles then call the breakdown recovery

Was a shame when i saw you break at the line jonny.. all i thought when the marshalls were pushing you back was 'no dont push there.. or there :/ n im pretty sure it doesnt need a 3rd guy pushing' haha.. did u manage to sweet talk ya sign on dosh back?

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

BronkoMini

301 Posts
Member #: 10610

Wiltshire

In my video you can see the marshals pushing your car back

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Haha all these horror stories. I think I should probably trailer it next time. I just need some practice driving with a trailer.

I didn't even think to try and get my sign on money back. It's no big deal though, I got into the show for free.

I watched your video, hoped no one else noticed the embarasing moment lol.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

What are the rules on being able to tow now? Anyone 04 onwards cant have one at all? Or over a certain weight right?

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Assuming you passed after Jan 1997 then the rules as I understand are that you can tow EITHER 750kg (which is for the likes of tow behind compressors/generators) OR (and read it carefully) you are allowed 3500kg total GROSS train weight, where the gross weight of the tow vehicle must be larger than the gross weight of the trailer. The important part there is that it is GROSS weight, which is the theoretical maximum the car or trailer can legally be (is plated at) and NOT what it actually weighs at the time.

So in practise, you can tow a light car legally but it relies on very careful choice of tow car and trailer.
A typical modern small-medium estate car is something like 2000kg gross weight. So that leaves you with 1500kg gross weight for the trailer. A trailer will often be 1500kg gross and weigh 500kg, which means you can legally put 1000kg of car on it. Obviouisly a Mini is quite a bit less than that, BUT its the trailer plated weight that counts.

As an example, my old A4 estate was 2050kg gross. My trailer is pretty light at 1400kg gross 400kg unladen. My 205 is 850kg so I was legal (JUST) at that setup. However swap the tow vehicle for my Shogun which is gross weight 2650kg and no longer legal. Likewise with the A4 tow car swap the trailer to a 1800kg plated big trailer and no longer legal.

I did the +E trailer test a few years ago now, a few reasons why are,
1. Sold A4 estate and bought a BMW 5 series, gross weight up to 2350kg so no longer legal
2. Wanted to be able to legally use my Shogun to tow with as its arguably the better/more stable tow vehicle compared to an estate car
3. I have been to Germany towing before, in the UK I knew I was legal and the reasoning, in Germany I wouldn't fancy trying to talk them round.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Thanks tom, that saves me flagging down a copper and asking him! I have heard of the whole 3500 total before but people, even my boss has told me no, nothing at not even a small trailer?
I have thought about doing the test to save any hassle.. does it cost much and is it a long test?

minimole23

4303 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Tom has nailed it though. but the important bit is definately the plated weight of the trailer.

My defender + trailer + mini only weighed 3400kg, but because the borrowed trailer was a twin axle tipper job plated to 3500kg it was not legal to tow. Doesn't really make much sense but never mind. No doubt you could plate the trailer to suit your requirements *wink*

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

The other part of it, is what is the authorised towing weight for the vehicle, e.g. What do the manufacturer say it can safely tow?
As an example some big 4x4's can tow 3.5T. An estate car will typically be in the range between 1200-2000kg.
But you really need to do your homework and make sure it adds up.

Like fuel 😂😂

Nick
Forum Mod

4823 Posts
Member #: 154
Post Whore

Midlands

2930kg gross on my van...bollocking fuck, there went my trailer plans.

Van weighs 2100kg, I always just figurred that left me 1400kg for trailer and mini to get under the 3500kg thing. Looks like I need to do a test.

On 20th Oct, 2015 Tom Fenton said:

Well here is the news, you are not welcome here, FUCK OFF.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

Without the test you really are limited to small/medium estate cars. Anything 5-series or A6 sized you will likely bust on weight. Vans you usually bust on weight straight away. But also they can be odd on towing weight, for example the Peugeot Experts can only tow 1ton.

Like fuel 😂😂

fastcarl

6962 Posts
Member #: 507
Fastest A Series Mini in the World

leeds/wakefield.

that shaft has clearly been binding up on the outer cv on full lock, hence the six sides chewed into it at the point of failure,

I would be looking at a lock limiter to avoid the same in the future,

carl

WWW.FORCE-RACING.CO.UK PLEASE CLICK HERE

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Bugger i was planning to use my dads twin axle tipper job, he's towed a 5 door shogun and various land rovers so i doubt i can use it at gross weight.

On 19th Aug, 2015 fastcarl said:
that shaft has clearly been binding up on the outer cv on full lock, hence the six sides chewed into it at the point of failure,

I would be looking at a lock limiter to avoid the same in the future,

carl

That probably explains why it broke.

I had forgotten were these shafts came from, my old 998! I remember having the shafts out with my dad when we rebuilt the car and I painted everything on it and there was some damage to it. You can still see where I painted over it *blush*. He said it would be fine, that was a good 10 years ago and i only had 40bhp.
I'd forgotten all about it, i didn't put new boots on for the minus just new CV's so i didn't notice then either.

Aubrey_Boy

690 Posts
Member #: 9962
Post Whore

Saw this for the first time at MITP and have to say it looks just as good in the flesh as the forum photos

If anything it looks even lower as far as the overall height and how low you sit in the car is, it's a credit to you

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

On 22nd Aug, 2015 Aubrey_Boy said:
Saw this for the first time at MITP and have to say it looks just as good in the flesh as the forum photos

If anything it looks even lower as far as the overall height and how low you sit in the car is, it's a credit to you

Should of said hello :).

Thanks for the kind words, it's nothing on your car though!

Aubrey_Boy

690 Posts
Member #: 9962
Post Whore

I just have a pile of ever changing bits :) Much more credit due to an actual finished car that look's as good as yours does.

You were stopped on the road that connects the main 'external' car park area to the strip 'in field' (I think it's where the fuel pumps are?) You looked busy so I didn't want to interrupt (not sure if you'd had your CV / driveshaft problem at that point?) I was justy carrying stuff back to the car and passed you.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Thank you again :).

Ahh yes that was shortly after I broke it. We then moved it round to TM hq for tools.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Was watching one of 'mk1kieran's youtube videos..
He does all the ford stuff.. i normally like watching the 'fords leaving their meet' thing.. cos they always doing burnouts etc n i like seeing them nearly take out other cars or pissing off all the millions of cyclists that are always going past with the tyre smoke... well in augusts meets video.. i spy a certain minus leaving..

Home > Show Us Yours! > Minus 7 port turbo
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: