Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Minus 7 port turbo

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Well that sounds like an eventful RR session,

None too shabby on 15 psi either! that torque does seem to roll off more than i'd expect, presumably due to the restriction you mention. is it feasible to add some tapped holes so you can get a pressure gauge on a few points next time? ie turbo out, intercooler in, intercooler out, just to check its not pressure drop across the core.

I cant see it being the exhaust side, as youve not done anything different to normal, unless its a wastegate issue, but youve run this setup as 5 port right?

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

solid effort id like to get on with mine however things have put it back i just need the space and time

i think that you'd be surprised to see how crap plumbing can be before killing power ie angles of pipe joints

not sure if anyone watches sloppy mechanics on you tube how ever matt is quite proud to show how cheep and nasty a build can be and still make stupid power from a 4.8l ls i believe he pushed the 4.8 to 1000+hp spending crap all and hack jobbing the lot super low buget builds is his thing along side doing what manny say cant be done

yess the modern ls v8 is way different to the old cast a series we use however i think air is air and all we are doing is moving air with hp as a result

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

I'm no expert, but the power is at a very low RPM. Maybe you need a more exciting cam. Your bottom end should be good for 8k, and rpm = bhp:)

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

It was a bit scary! I could of done with a bit more notice to get some proper Wheels sorted. Although I would of still used these probably, Pirelli tyres so not cheap nasty ones.

Joe: you can really see it drop off in the graph. That’s quite a good idea. I’ll see what I can do.

Exhaust is a Matty manifold/downpipe then 2 inch back.

Turbo this: I’ve not watched those videos I’ll check them out. Simon and Matthew who mapped it definately thought it was exhaust or inlet. I should if got a picture of the intercooler. Everything else is nicely done for flow except this one point, it’s pretty bad.

Wil: What Cam would you suggest? I definately wanted to keep reving it up. I’d settled on going to 7000 but it’s not worth that as it is.
It’s currently a ph2. Maybe I could time it up to suit more top end.

Edited by jonny f on 29th Apr, 2018.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Maybe double check the cam timing, and drop it back a couple if degrees to push peak took up the Rev range, (that is the right way isn't it??)

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

wil_h

9258 Posts
Post Whore

Ph2 should do the business up to 7k. So could be cam timing, or the other restrictions you've identified.

Considering how it drops off, it could well be a restriction. I'd expect the torque to be much more level after the peak, rather than dropping sharply.

Edited by wil_h on 27th Apr, 2018.

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Cam is definately at 108. It was checked with two sets of eyes a few times.

I’m going to leave it as it is for now and then see what I can do next winter. I’ve got a fair bit of work to do with a new subframe so no point getting a nice intercooler in and it not fitting around the new frame.

Really wanted to get out in it today but it’s hammering it down :(.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Well done! Some nice power there. Will the marks from the tyre buff out?

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Yes, they came out easy :).

It has however damaged the wing along the top. It’s blown the GRP, it can be fixed but will need painting.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

A good result for 15psi.

Re. it tailing of early, lambda seems a bit low to me. Personally I would be looking at 0.85 for maximum power, maybe even a bit higher as it's an alloy head. Did they do any "tuning" or did the tyre failure end it prematurely ?

And re. the tyres, quite a few years ago the same nearly happened to me with Pirellies (not on a Mini but a FWD car), they didn't actually fail but they were getting a bit low on tread and when I looked a bit closer they had a circumferential split all the way round between tread and sidewall I could see from the "outside" and when the tyre place took them off, the inner face was the same. It extended about 8-10mm in under the tread both sides all the way around. I've never touched Pirellies since.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Thanks Rod, I’m very happy with it.

I think there was a reason why it started to go richer at that end. To do with the restriction potentially.

Perhaps Pirelli are not all they cracked up to be *wink*.
These were pretty old and spent there life in a mini boot.

Edited by jonny f on 28th Apr, 2018.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Nice going.. are the 12's needed for the rollers or is that what went on after the blow out?

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Evoderby

224 Posts
Member #: 9987

Amsterdam

Good effort in getting the engine ready so soon! As you, I have a feeling there’s much more to come from switching to 7 port EFI. Does the SC ecu measure IAT’s? Given the very rich mixtures of 0.75 - 0.8 lambda, air density @ 15psi is bound to be much lower than what Will’s was set up for.

With all things else being equal this can be either down to excessive pressure drop between turbo and plenum and/or intercooler adiabatic efficiency. In other words the turbo has to work extra hard to bring the plenum up to 15 psi, which creates loads of additional heat, heat which the intercooler is unable to get rid of.

Acceptable pressure drop over the intercooler would be in the range of 2-2.5 psi with adiabatic efficiency of around 70%. This would give you post IC IAT’s of around 45C at 70% compressor efficiency and ambient temp of 20C.

With triple that pressure drop (6-7 psi) and IC efficiency of only 55% this quickly becomes 70C post IC IAT. This in turn leads to ((273+46)/(273+70)) = 93% of ‘ideal’ air density. 175 Bhp/93% = 188 Bhp true potential.

Now let’s say Will’s engine was mapped to give 12.5 : 1 AFR @ 15psi MAP , the 11.5 your engine shows suggests 92% air density compared to Will’s or 190Bhp true potential. Pretty close huh? Which goes to show you can pretty much calculate towards any given answers you want *wink*

But on a serious note, if intake temps are below 50-55C you need not worry too much about the intake side. If well above 65C there’s some real world gains to be made.

Edited by Evoderby on 29th Apr, 2018.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 28th Apr, 2018 jonny f said:

I think there was a reason why it started to go richer at that end. To do with the restriction potentially.

Not necessarily. Whilst the restriction could be limiting the overall air flow, if the MAP and IAT sensors are in the right place (plenum in the bulk air after all/any of the restrictions and just before the injectors) the ECU will calculate the fuel required on the basis of the mass and temperature of the air actually there rather than what could have been there without a restriction.
I can't remember how the SC maps work, ie what the cell values are (pulsewidths, VE values, cabbages, doesn't matter, it's just a number for a given RPM and load) but if the cell values are too high you will get a rich mixture with or without a restriction to airflow. And rich mixtures do restrict power.
There are a load of other setting in the ECU that could affect mixture like warm up enrichment, acceleration enrichment, closed loop EGO, but they should all be out of the equation at full power so the starting point for lambda/AFR is the basic fuel table(s).
Just my experience ....

Evoderby

224 Posts
Member #: 9987

Amsterdam

I am not sure this setup uses IAT and associated tables....?

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 29th Apr, 2018 Evoderby said:
I am not sure this setup uses IAT and associated tables....?

You might be right but, if you are, a good reason to avoid the SC ECU.
The basic fueling equation for any speed/density ECU should be RPM multiplied by MAP (or "load") to give the volumetric flowrate of air, then corrected by IAT for the density of air at different temperatures to give mass flow of air then look at the fueling table and add on corrections for warm-up, acceleration etc.
Any ECU that doesn't measure air temperature should be avoided.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Anyone else remember the 2010 rolling road day? Nonsense torque curves. Wasn't that the same make of dyno?

We concluded that the dyno was setup for average Joes hot hatch and gave inacurate numbers for low inertia, high powered turbo minis.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

On 29th Apr, 2018 D4VE said:
Nice going.. are the 12's needed for the rollers or is that what went on after the blow out?

For the rolling road, it has a built in jack between the rollers which it gets very close to with 10's.

On 29th Apr, 2018 Evoderby said:
Good effort in getting the engine ready so soon! As you, I have a feeling there’s much more to come from switching to 7 port EFI. Does the SC ecu measure IAT’s? Given the very rich mixtures of 0.75 - 0.8 lambda, air density @ 15psi is bound to be much lower than what Will’s was set up for.

With all things else being equal this can be either down to excessive pressure drop between turbo and plenum and/or intercooler adiabatic efficiency. In other words the turbo has to work extra hard to bring the plenum up to 15 psi, which creates loads of additional heat, heat which the intercooler is unable to get rid of.

Acceptable pressure drop over the intercooler would be in the range of 2-2.5 psi with adiabatic efficiency of around 70%. This would give you post IC IAT’s of around 45C at 70% compressor efficiency and ambient temp of 20C.

With triple that pressure drop (6-7 psi) and IC efficiency of only 55% this quickly becomes 70C post IC IAT. This in turn leads to ((273+46)/(273+70)) = 93% of ‘ideal’ air density. 175 Bhp/93% = 188 Bhp true potential.

Now let’s say Will’s engine was mapped to give 12.5 : 1 AFR @ 15psi MAP , the 11.5 your engine shows suggests 92% air density compared to Will’s or 190Bhp true potential. Pretty close huh? Which goes to show you can pretty much calculate towards any given answers you want *wink*

But on a serious note, if intake temps are below 50-55C you need not worry too much about the intake side. If well above 65C there’s some real world gains to be made.

Will's engine map was used just to get it started rather than run it up with it.

It does use an IAT sensor its in the middle of the inlet plenum. We saw temps at around 50deg.

Those are some interesting equations and definitely worth some thought. Thank you.

I still feel it's the intercooler as it really isn't ideal. With everything else built around getting air in and out as fast as possible (except maybe the 2 inch exhaust). The angle thats on it now is like a hitting a wall.

On 29th Apr, 2018 Rod S said:
On 28th Apr, 2018 jonny f said:

Not necessarily. Whilst the restriction could be limiting the overall air flow, if the MAP and IAT sensors are in the right place (plenum in the bulk air after all/any of the restrictions and just before the injectors) the ECU will calculate the fuel required on the basis of the mass and temperature of the air actually there rather than what could have been there without a restriction.
I can't remember how the SC maps work, ie what the cell values are (pulsewidths, VE values, cabbages, doesn't matter, it's just a number for a given RPM and load) but if the cell values are too high you will get a rich mixture with or without a restriction to airflow. And rich mixtures do restrict power.
There are a load of other setting in the ECU that could affect mixture like warm up enrichment, acceleration enrichment, closed loop EGO, but they should all be out of the equation at full power so the starting point for lambda/AFR is the basic fuel table(s).
Just my experience ....

To be totally honest Rod a lot of it still goes over my head with regards to the injection, so thanks for your input :). Simon definitely said there was a reason for it being that rich that end. Obviously not the restriction from what you are saying. A little richer is fine by me though at the top end.

Simon and Matthew who mapped it seemed to really know there stuff and as they are SCS delta (you get a picture of them on the website lol) and design/build the ECU's on site i'm 100% sure they knew what they were doing with the car. I would happily go back there again.

With regards to the tyre going it was literally on the last run after some fine tuning.

The IAT sensor is in the middle of the plenum and was around 50deg at the top end of the map.

Edited by jonny f on 29th Apr, 2018.

wil_h

9258 Posts
Post Whore

If it helps. My car was running massively rich on the RR. But as we started leaning it we had a problem that could not be resolved so that's how it ended.

It will make more power if it's leaner. This was a 'safe' setup.

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Interesting that two like it that rich for peak power.
Maybe some idiosyncrasy with the design of the head ?
Personally I wouldn't like it that rich, it washes the oil off the cylinder bore walls.
Or maybe it's something to do with how the SC ECU deals with the AFR readings.
I've never seen one of these SC 7 port heads close up but there are some strange comments about spark plug location in this thread at least...
But if running that rich works, I guess it's OK at least for the short/medium term.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

On 30th Apr, 2018 Rod S said:
Personally I wouldn't like it that rich, it washes the oil off the cylinder bore walls.
I've never seen one of these SC 7 port heads close up but there are some strange comments about spark plug location in this thread at least...
But if running that rich works, I guess it's OK at least for the short/medium term.

Agree, and could be a reason mine is smoking as it was just too rich for a new motor. Colin is suspects it could be the reason. I also think that most tuners are like us worried about lean spots turning your pistons to liquid.

Jonny should have a much easier time to hit the right balance with his new configuration.

Too rich Jonny, maybe its just wanting more air :) #TurnUpTheBoost? :)*wink*

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

On 30th Apr, 2018 gr4h4m said:

On 30th Apr, 2018 Rod S said:

Agree, and could be a reason mine is smoking as it was just too rich for a new motor. Colin is suspects it could be the reason. I also think that most tuners are like us worried about lean spots turning your pistons to liquid.

Jonny should have a much easier time to hit the right balance with his new configuration.

Too rich Jonny, maybe its just wanting more air :) #TurnUpTheBoost? :)*wink*

Rod: The old carb setup was richer still! The bores were ok on that when it came apart. Perhaps i should try again sooner rather than later with an intercooler and lean it off at the top end a bit.
The plugs are under the inlet in a bit of a difficult place. They sit at 90deg to the bore/horizontal. I indexed them all nicely. I can't see them being a problem running wise. Just an arse to change.

Graham: hahaha must be the answer *wink*.
The restriction on it wouldn't allow the boost to go up much higher with the control valve, it was at 80% duty cycle pretty early on.

wil_h

9258 Posts
Post Whore

To clarify. As we started leaning it, power was increasing. I don't imagine that this head like a richer mixture than any other engine.

I'd expect peak power at 12ish . Ours will hopefully be back on the RR later in the year.

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Well, been out pottering in it today.

Verdict, it’s lively and lovely! Diff is going to take some getting used to.

Starts on the button.

Feels a lot more refined just cruising around.

Blyton Park this weekend will be the proper test.

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Impressed you got this all together, and working well. Be good to see some in car footage at Blyton.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Home > Show Us Yours! > Minus 7 port turbo
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: