Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Minus 7 port turbo

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Comitted

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

On 8th Dec, 2018 D4VE said:
Comitted

500 is hard to get to! well for me anyway haha. Although the big changes coming to the front will help.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Yeah i bet, do u know what a minus shell weighs? They are heavier than a lightened steel isnt it?

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Yeah i bet, do u know what a minus shell weighs? They are heavier than a lightened steel isnt it?

Well a lightened steel shell can be very light so that would be lighter.

Reckon standard both bare they’re probably isn’t much in it. Couldn’t say for certain though. The Minus was never built to be super light. The light weight version is probably considerably lighter.

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

There isn’t much in it, I could just about lift/move my old minus on my own but couldn’t do it with the heritage shell.
Shane

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

oops

Edited by shane on 9th Dec, 2018.

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

*Clapping*

Edited by shane on 9th Dec, 2018.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

New face from Custom Minis.

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

I’m guessing your going to keep it removable ! You have inner wings etc now don’t you !! So lighter and loads more space

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

With the minus being in the region of 3” less in the lower body. How does the arch profile of a standard front end compare?
Shane

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

On 9th Dec, 2018 shane said:
With the minus being in the region of 3” less in the lower body. How does the arch profile of a standard front end compare?
Shane

Its a proper minus front. Custom minis (Les) did a mould of a front a few weeks ago.
A standard front would fit but be a ball ache, not because of the arch line though, just the deeper front and shorter scuttle/odd angles in that area. Arch you could just cut higher!

On 9th Dec, 2018 cossierick said:
I’m guessing your going to keep it removable ! You have inner wings etc now don’t you !! So lighter and loads more space

Yea figured its going to be easier in the future. There isn't much inner wing left anyway there chopped about a lot. Other reasons were weight, the standard front is super thick as its designed to have the front subby mounts this will be quite a few kg's lighter. Mine is also pretty damaged were the tyre blew.

Edited by jonny f on 9th Dec, 2018.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

No going back now.

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

I'm not sure who should be crowned the king of weight loss, either you or Simon ?

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

On 7th Jan, 2019 Turbo Phil said:
I'm not sure who should be crowned the king of weight loss, either you or Simon ?

Phil.

I think his car is a smidge under 500 with a full tank, so he is definitely winning lol!

But i don't think it will be far off 500 after this winter.

He is a bit chunkier than me though.....

monsterob

264 Posts
Member #: 11029

Crewe

are you aiming to be able to pick the front up like you can the back !? *Rofl!*

Outside the box

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

On 8th Jan, 2019 monsterob said:

I think if it had a bike motor it would potentially be possible. Not for me though haha.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Cracked on today, got everything stripped down, engine out etc.

Then I removed the last bits of the inner wings.

Tried a few times to get the frame to go in nicely, gave up and chopped a few sections out the bulkhead and now it’s sitting back where it needs to. I’m guessing it didn’t fit to great because it’s in a minus and it was also originally built for a single bolt bulkhead. I’m going to repaint the bulkhead anyway so it’s not much of a problem to rebuild a few bits.

monsterob

264 Posts
Member #: 11029

Crewe

On 10th Jan, 2019 jonny f said:

I think if it had a bike motor it would potentially be possible. Not for me though haha.

no torque in them either ! *Clapping* I am impressed with your dedication to weight loss. I have decided to go full fat at the minute.

where the hell are you getting all these TI bits from ?

Edited by monsterob on 10th Jan, 2019.

Outside the box

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

On 10th Jan, 2019 monsterob said:

On 10th Jan, 2019 jonny f said:

no torque in them either ! *Clapping* I am impressed with your dedication to weight loss. I have decided to go full fat at the minute.

where the hell are you getting all these TI bits from ?

I have thought about a bike motor. Would be quite good for track use. Think the Lynx kit would fit in the frame. Like A series to much though!

I got a whole front Ti setup through a comment on that monky London YouTube video. Pretty lucky, guy just had it sitting in his garage, no other mini bits.

theoneeyedlizard

7260 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Almost makes it worth the trauma of having that guy drive your car.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

On 10th Jan, 2019 theoneeyedlizard said:
Almost makes it worth the trauma of having that guy drive your car.

Yea *happy*

To be fair he’s sound. Just plays it up for the camera.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Jonny do you know the weight of your motor complete? Did you compare the weight saving of your head?

And what was your subframe compared to the ti one weight wise?

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

On 11th Jan, 2019 D4VE said:
Jonny do you know the weight of your motor complete? Did you compare the weight saving of your head?

And what was your subframe compared to the ti one weight wise?

Head weight comparison is in this thread somewhere back a few pages. Don’t know the weight of the engine.

Subframe is 1/3rd the weight according to Carl’s website. Not weighed it though.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Bit more details on the subframe.

You can see here it was touching the bulkhead along the back to early. Rather than perhaps space it out on the lower mounts i felt it was best to get cutting. Will give more room for the downpipe and hopefully get it to the right place.

Hence getting busy with the grinder and powerfile...

Discovered then that the bracing mounts also touched a little to early so they got cut out to!
Hey presto, fitting back properly.

I've also managed to get some of the bulkhead prepped so i can paint it again.

Chased out any cracks or areas to repair. The body had a few panel seam lines that were quite deep so i've removed all of these to fill with GRP.

All these holes are going.

Managed to get the holes I cut in the bulkhead closed up. A quick run through of the process I use, not sure whats the best way but it seems to do well enough for me.

I make sure all edges keyed properly with 80 grit and there is no thick sections at the edges where the hole has been cut.

I use any old tape, parcel tape, gaffa tape, clear tape to create a base to lay the grp onto. This time it was gaffa tape and some card to give it some shape/support.

From the outside.
I've stuck the tape right up against the mounting tabs for the subframe.

On the inside I then put some tape down. The GRP won't stick to the tape so it makes removal painless. You can see the keyed edges here.

I always cut and measure the GRP matting before mixing up any resin so i get the maximum working time. With everything prepared and the resin mixed, using a brush i put some resin on the repair section and then start to layer up the matting. Putting resin on each layer and allowing a little time for it to absorb.

When the resin is absorbed it becomes quite workable and you can feather it out and into corners easily. I try to use as little resin as possible. Its stronger and obviously less weight.

This section has 5 layers, quite thick as its a repair and the subframe will be bolted to it.

All sections repaired from the inside.

From the outside, with some GRP filler around the edges it should look like nothing has be altered when painted.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Took a bit of the handbrake

ARB blade bolts

An interesting one, the frame saves 564g just by running different Ti tie bars.

A few I didn't weigh

Cylinder was all trimmed down etc

Here's the weight of the standard front end with most of the inner wings. Probably another 400g with the rest i cut off. Quite heavy at about 7.65kg.

Home > Show Us Yours! > Minus 7 port turbo
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: