Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Converting HIF 44 to turbo

Hoops

94 Posts
Member #: 10338
Advanced Member

Huddersfield

Hi there, I have a standard hif44 carb 1 7/8 and I have ordered a rebuild kit for a metro turbo carb and I was wondering what modifications I have to do apart from changing the bits that come in the rebuild kit ? If any , one thing I seem to have noticed is that at the top of the dash pot there is a groove on the turbo carb to take the clamp so the top doesn't blow off ! Any help would be appreciated *smiley*

**Removed the poll for you**

Edited by paul wiginton on 23rd Mar, 2013.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

I vote search *wink*

It's been covered recently, I think by Brett

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Hoops

94 Posts
Advanced Member

Huddersfield

Thanks il have a look again I didn't seem to find what I was looking for when I searched before ! What's the vote thing all about ? I'm rubbish at this *hehe!* *hehe!* *hehe!*

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

You clicked poll instead of topic.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Hoops

94 Posts
Advanced Member

Huddersfield

Thanks I found some info by changing my wording it looks like I need to get a groove machined in to the top of the body which I can sort out and the rest seems like plain sailing

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=2103

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

On 23rd Mar, 2013 Hoops said:
Thanks I found some info by changing my wording it looks like I need to get a groove machined in to the top of the body which I can sort out and the rest seems like plain sailing

Why?

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Hoops

94 Posts
Advanced Member

Huddersfield

Thanks sprocket , I think I understand what I should be doing now , just to clarify the reason the t piece will be needed in my situation is that I won't have the hole that marries up to the plenum in the nat asp carb ? I also understand about plugging up the unused pipes

Hoops

94 Posts
Advanced Member

Huddersfield

Hi Brett the grove I was referring to is so the clamp can be fitted to the cap on the top as the nat asp carb does not have one , unless this is not essential ? But I don't want to cause any issues at a later date

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

No one ever uses the clamp, so the groove is redundant. Don't worry about it

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

mine sees 22+psi boost every time its out ( thats the current actuator setting( as i crushed my last actuator launching at pod *happy* )) and i have wound it as far as 28psi although now my carb is quite modified and is fitted with position sensors allowing me to log the actual needle position and throttle position

i have never needed the clamp to stop me blowing the damper off the top of the carb

also it started life as an n/a and ran on the track for 6 months with zero mods other than the 'T' peice trick
now its internaly the same as Turbo carb ( just need to drill the passages)

edit, i actually cannibalised a cracked turbo carb when converting mine originally so i have that groove but still dont use it
i also have a different piston settup with sensor fitted that does not have the groove

Edited by Brett on 23rd Mar, 2013.

Instagram @jdm_brett

Hoops

94 Posts
Advanced Member

Huddersfield

Great news about the clamp ! Are you referring to drilling out the passageway so the t piece is not needed ? And is this a better job or does it not make any difference :)

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

On 23rd Mar, 2013 Hoops said:
Great news about the clamp ! Are you referring to drilling out the passageway so the t piece is not needed ? And is this a better job or does it not make any difference :)

either / or, drilling it out looks neater and takes 2 mins (then 20mins to clean it all out *happy*), i actually think i use both because mines also go an adjustable lean off valve

Instagram @jdm_brett

longy

1547 Posts
Member #: 2727
Post Whore

Bicester

Has anyone got any pictures and dimensions of the groove which needs machining to take the o-ring? does the body and the dashpot need machining?

1972 998 TURBO SLEEPER

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

On 3rd Apr, 2016 longy said:
Has anyone got any pictures and dimensions of the groove which needs machining to take the o-ring? does the body and the dashpot need machining?

the carb runs under a vacuum on an na, under pressure on a turbo, both are a pressure difference vs ambient, the na doesnt need the o-ring and i never used one on my converted carb, i did use a smear of loctite sealant though, mainly through habit

im not sure its really needed but.. the groove needed is (from memory) machined into the carb body not the piston body

no pics or dimensions though im affraid

Edited by Brett on 3rd Apr, 2016.

Instagram @jdm_brett

longy

1547 Posts
Member #: 2727
Post Whore

Bicester

Brett many thanks, I'm only planning on running 1 bar max so I might give it a go with some sealant. Cheers

1972 998 TURBO SLEEPER

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Converting HIF 44 to turbo
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: