Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > K1100 turbo track car build

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

Wow, looks very nice!
Immaculate

adcyork

539 Posts
Member #: 6807
Post Whore

York

Thanks for the comments guys.

MOT done and sorted and the first shake down on the road highlighted a few little things to sort out.

bpirie1000

32 Posts
Member #: 1793

Aberdeen,Scotland

How are you getting on with this car? What was on the shake down list. .

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

Update on how the car is going...

After the mapping was done and I had an MOT on it I then did a fair bit of shakedown on the road before booking a track day. In the midst of that the head gasket went on the outside of cylinder 1. I was running a modified BK450 and upon inspection it failed across the 11th stud hole due to insufficient clamping force - root cause being that the rear left head stud threads had pulled up in the block as the cast iron plug of the old head stud hole was insufficient dia, leading to too thin wall once the new thread was cut.

So, engine out, stripped, larger plugs (tapped with old bodged thermostat housing tapping handle), pressure tested, skimmed and all back together with a SC copper head gasket to which I've had no issues since.

On wards and upwards to a track day at Donnington now that corona virus regs allowed. It was a scorching day, circa 29°C air temp and blazing sunshine. The car ran really well with the only fault being the oil temperature peaking at circa 150°C which mandated me having alternate slow laps before pushing on again to keep the bulk oil temp down to a more respectable 130°C. The ambient temp was on the extreme end of the spectrum for the UK but it was clear that the 7 row cooler was insufficient.

Next up was Blyton park but before that I stuck a 10 row oil cooler on with some 3D printed ducts to try assess the effect the heat soak that the off air from the cooler blowing on the sump was having on bulk oil temp.

Punch line was that upsized cooler made only a small difference to the tune of a ~5°C reduction in oil temp, and removing the ducting had little effect. Impossible to determine if the cooler core air flow restriction presented by the exit duct offset the lack of soak into the sump casing or not. It was clear though that more heat rejection was required which was going to require a rethink as I couldn't go any lower than a 10 row cooler.

The mickey mouse twisty nature of Blyton also highlighted that in slow speed corners I was suffering a little bit of understeer on turn in, off throttle, and the inside shoulder of the rear tyres was picking up rubber, which I also noticed at donnington. The ride height was raised 15mm and the Minispares tracking brackets we modified to allow more negative camber. I had always hated the vernier holes at the tiny bolt which was an absolute t**t toget the nut on near the radius arm.

Edited by adcyork on 12th Nov, 2021.

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Great to see the progress. Any in car footage?

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Great stuff. Were the minispares rear camber brackets a pain to fit? I need some for mine and I'm torn between getting the MS evo ones or the kad ones.

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

....August 2020 and it was time for Oulton Park; cracking circuit, and great fun in this car, especially the back side in to shell corner and round the two chicanes. Car ran great even though the day was quite cold (and wet in the morning). I was running Carbon Lorraine RC6 pads on the front and in the wet I found them to be very grabby. Unable to get them to unlock without applying the power on a couple of occasions. With the geometry changes the slow speed understeer had gone.

After that I redid the dash in carbon honeycomb board and swapped to a sabelt wheel to replace the manky generic wheel on there that was half knackered from the build stage as I'd had since the car was last on the road

I also at this point found a crack in the exh manifold where the external WG was not properly supported so I repaired the crack, made a press tool and added a support brace

Being in the middle of summer I decided to do a proper job of the cooler and employed concept racings services to fabricate a new core to my drawing that allowed the full width of the subframe to be utilised. The end result was an 8 row cooler with a really deep 70mm core and circa 400mm width. The subframe was stiffened while it was out and the mounts were being welded to it. Can't seem to find any good pics of it on car.

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

On 11th Nov, 2021 hazpalmer said:
Great stuff. Were the minispares rear camber brackets a pain to fit? I need some for mine and I'm torn between getting the MS evo ones or the kad ones.

They fit very well but the little bolt for the toe adjustment is the most fiddly thing i've ever seen. I was just stuggling for enough adjustment on one side mainly so made the mods.

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

On 11th Nov, 2021 minimole23 said:
Great to see the progress. Any in car footage?

I've been struggling with getting a good mounting point that has a good view out of the windscreen so the gopro doesn't just get massive saturation as it focuses in the car... but at Cadwell I managed it with it zip tied to the passanger seat. Need to sort a good mount but it's always last on the list of things to do.

https://youtu.be/HzZMey-2Be0

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

That looks seriously impressive!

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565