Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > 998cc > 998 turbo. what oil pump do i use?

rob620

40 Posts
Member #: 10537

Hi. Im new to the turbo scene so looking for as much advise and help as possible!
Im attempting to build a good 998 turbo using the 998 a+ block and stamdard unleaded head with a t3 turbo off the metro (i know this is not ideal but its all funds can allow for at the moment and i can live with lag as long as it does make good boost. The trouble im baving is finding an oil pump to use. Will the standard 998 oil pump be ok? Im want to run 15psi of boost. Do you think this will be possible on standard internals? I want to be able to rev the engine to make the most of the boost. Will i need a centre main strap fitting or are they ok without? I would like to achieve 120bhp IF possible.
If anyone could help me i would really appriciate it. Thanks!
Rob

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Read:

http://www.turbo-mini.com/62147.html

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

rob620

40 Posts

Thanks. Although i have already looked on there and around this forum but cant find what im looking for

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

You have two options:

1. Use a standard 998 pump, preferably new.

2. Use a steel backed 1275 pump. But it will need modifying for use with the 998. I take it apart, cut down the shaft and mill two new flats. You will also need to drill and tap a 1/4" UNF hole in the block for a screw.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

rob620

40 Posts

Thanks for the reply paul :) would a good 998 punp be up to the job? Or is the extra effort alot more worth while. What do you think about fitting a centre main strap? And standard internals for 120bhp. If even possible?? Thanks. Rob

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Personally, I would not use standard pistons on 15psi boost. I use the Hypatec pistons in mine at 120hp.

Standard pistons would be OK for a while. Their life will depend on your right foot.

I would also use a centre main strap although others would say you do not need to. If you are planning on using a standard head and cam then you will not be revving high, so maybe you could get away with it.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

rob620

40 Posts

Ahh ok thats abit of a pain. What is the limit before upgraded internals are needed? I really want the engine to rev so know double valve springs will be needed. Whst else will i need to allow it to rev? I.e cam choice? I was looking at a cooper head but its out of my budget by the time i have it rebuild and convertes to unleaded :(
Thanks rob

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

If you want revs and boost then you will need a strong bottom end and drivetrain.

You could do what you want with a standard bottom end, but depending on the condition would end in tears.

If funds are limited then I would put money into decent pistons, uprated clutch, 4 pin diff and a decent cam. Sell the T3 to fund it if you have too and get a better turbo when you can afford it.

For cam you want a "fast road" cam, something like an NA MG Metro cam or, even better, a Kent MD274.

Run it NA with a standard head until you can fund a 12G295 and turbo setup.

That would be my approach, but there are many ways to cut a cake.

Home > 998cc > 998 turbo. what oil pump do i use?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: