Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Electric waterpump project

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 3rd Nov, 2013 Joe C said:
LOL looks a bit heavy duty Paul, you going to drive the alternator off it too?

LOL - perpetual motion Eh ?

It's actually a starter motor from a Toyota and identical to the motor on the Mini high torque starter, bottom left of picture. Plenty of revs and wattage :)

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

skolawn

270 Posts
Member #: 69

Coventry

Very interesting thread. It isnt unussual to find lumps of sand casting crap in the waterways and 30 years of crude build up. The Hi Torque Starter does indeed look exactly like a Toyota one, which is a Denso starter, a separate thread might be useful to find out or work out which one and whats required to make which ever is the best Denso Starter onto a mini. If you could pick up a used Toyota Starter and someone did a alloy adaptor plate and drive gear that could be a cracking little MOD. So Evans is basically snake oil...

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

has anyone ever done what paul has taken a pic of
that is drive the std mini pump with an electric motor via the correct size pulleys and or a viable speed motor?

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

On 23rd Oct, 2013 Turbo Phil said:
I did this years ago when I had a front mounted rad, though I never dyno'd the engine it made a noticeable difference to engine response.

Phil.

I agree. I removed the fan (not pump) and think I could feel the difference....

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

On 4th Nov, 2013 Turbo This.. said:
has anyone ever done what paul has taken a pic of
that is drive the std mini pump with an electric motor via the correct size pulleys and or a viable speed motor?

I'd have thought it'd actually be an easy way of determining the power used by the waterpump (and fan); either with the motor current consumed, or by some kind of load-cell applied to a torque-arm on the motor mount or idler... But I imagine Paul is already one step ahead.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

skolawn

270 Posts
Member #: 69

Coventry

http://www.shengineering.co.uk/sh/sites/de...ts/DSCF0571.JPG From SH website, huge water pump pulley and Crank Pulley... Reason? perhaps by increasing pulley diameter the amount of surface area of belt in contact with pulleys will stop it slipping?? or is there other thoughts?

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I'd have thought they have some new crank damper with a large diameter housing needing a big pulley, but didn't want the water pump turning at 12000 RPM. It does look odd though.

What I can't figure out, is WTF is going on with the water pump pulley bolt at 3 o'clock. It looks like it's hanging in fresh air.... *tongue*

Edited by TurboDave16V on 5th Nov, 2013.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

TurboTom

248 Posts
Member #: 7936

DK-8450 Hammel. Denmark

I think only 2 bolts have been tightend.

If i have more toys than you when i die, I WIN

jamiestevenbell

336 Posts
Member #: 9941

Derby

The idea of that pulley must be for the likes of 16v minis that are revving to 10k I'd have thought

Alex

690 Posts
Member #: 1851
Post Whore

Woolavington, Zummerzet

Utterly non-scientific, but the two engines I've fitted Dowty fans to felt like they revved up and down faster than with a std fan.
It was more noticeable on the Elf which swapped between a 16 blade metal fan, the Dowty and back again.

Metric is for people who can't do fractions.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 5th Nov, 2013 jamiestevenbell said:
The idea of that pulley must be for the likes of 16v minis that are revving to 10k I'd have thought

Why design it to clear the 5 port head then? *tongue*

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

my thinking is that that ratio of pulleys for engines spending there life at like 7-10K and thats slowing the fan and pump to the point where they come back into there efficiency range

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

what about using the smaller impellor pump instead of the larger one?

If the traditional cooling system is used, with a thermostat ot blanking sleave, surely the smaller pump would work better at the higher rpm's. since the thermostat or blanking sleave restricts the coolant flow at high rpm causing the pump to 'stall' (which is what I think is happening rather than cavitation)sooner, the lower efficiency of the smaller pump might make see it stall higher up the rpm thereby absorbing less power. Obviously we are also talking about power absorption in the drive belt too.

Looking at Paul's idea with the starter motor, if we were purely looking at driving the mechanical pump with an electric motor, assuming 1.5hp required mechanical power, the electric motor current might be in the region of 75 amps.

Thats a lot for contuous operation requiring a bigger alternator which then saps more mechanical power from the engine.

You only have to turn on a pair of 130watt driving lamps at idle to hear the alternator load up and see the idle rpm drop.

As Turbo Dave said, it will be a good way to measure the power absorption of the mechanical pump set up.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I don't think that the choice of pump would help much other than to limit the maximum flow.

From the Minispares website photos it looks like the small impeller pump uses the same housing as the large pump and an impeller of the same diameter but shorter blades. This means that it has the same shut-off head and suction performance, just pumps less at a given speed.

A couple of pictures to illustrate:

I'm hoping that I will never have to run the motor at full wack, else I will run into overload on the electrics. As well as the injection load, I'm also planning on driving a 200psi water injection pump.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

carl talbot

326 Posts
Member #: 1323

I used a Corley Conversion pump on my KAD engine in the early 90's

I think KAD started selling them after we had good results [they used 2 on their 1st 'fastest mini' race car]

another thread - http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=420176

Evoderby

224 Posts
Member #: 9987

Amsterdam

So....I got taken over by work the past few months therefore it has taken me a while to get back with any significant updates.

I got the mini running during Easter, everything worked a treat....all electronic systems performed faultlessly *smiley* The electronic waterpump controller modulates the pump perfectly to a fast warm up, after which it uses full power and if necessary fan assist to keep a stable temp, even when idling for longer periods.

Mission accomplished from a technical standpoint. As far as performance goes, what is immediately noticeable is the absence of fan (and pump?) noise. Futhermore, the engine revs much more freely which I am surprised to say is already very noticeable when pulling away / driving from very low revs.

I haven't put the car on the rollers yet, but am very happy with the way things feel in the butt dyno department!!! Finished the car over the weekend, here are some all important pictures:

Tupers

324 Posts
Member #: 9441

South Devon

Sorry if it's already been mentioned but does the pump controller also switch on the fan or is that on it's own thermostat?

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

i like that rocker cover :)

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Evoderby

224 Posts
Member #: 9987

Amsterdam

The controller activates both pump and fan, it is able to modulate pump voltage between zero (completely off) and anywhere between 6volt and 13volt.

In addition it activates the fan when the target temp gets exceeded by 3degC. When switching off the engine it keeps the pump/fan running for at least 2 minutes to prevent heat soak.

The controller gets its readings from the sensor plugged into the top of the 'thermostat housing' (which doesn't actually house a thermostat since that function has been taken over by the controller)

Edited by Evoderby on 5th May, 2014.

JT

2742 Posts
Member #: 637
Post Whore

Hertfordshire

Old post revival!

Did this setup keep the mini cool?

My build thread..

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=542985

Popeye

36 Posts
Member #: 262

Netherlands

And did you ever dyno it to see how many ponies you saved?

Op de bank beleef je geen avonturen

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Well doing a good bit of thread digging here......

I'm looking at sorting my intercooler and rad setup, after a load of head scratching, I'm looking at a front mount rad and lecky (BMW) pump, due to Paul's coment below about a 2 core possibly being close to the limit, and moving the inter cooler to where the Rad used to be, and ducting to it....

...which raised the thought, how much heat does the intercooler give off in comparison with a Rad... and after a bit of head scratching for somthing like a 16v running 20+ psi or around 250 hp... I make it 25kw. not far off what the cooling system outputs, albeit at a much lower duty cycle....

does that sound about right?

On 1st Nov, 2013 Paul S said:
A 2-core radiator is really struggling with over 30kW of heat.

I've got datalogs from a 100mph cruise on our test track. Engine sat at around 94 Deg C on a cool day in October 2010 on the way back from the RR day.

Plugging that into the calcs and allowing for a top end performance from the rad, then it just about copes with 35kW. It would not be happy on a hot day.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

From the sims, I was seeing heat given off by the intercooler equivalent to about 10% of brake power. That's based on 20 DegC ambient, 85% Efficiency cooler.

So your 25kw is a bit high.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Cool, so about 15-20 kW ball park, that should work.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Home > Show Us Yours! > Electric waterpump project
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: