Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Non-Mini Projects > OT: Going Racing.. (2015-10-15) - Season Over - 7th :(

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts
Member #: 1
The boring bloke who runs this place.

Berkshire

Thanks Rich - it's bloody tatty up close though - I think the photos are very kind to it.

Today I replaced both front hubs (which obviously include the bearings). I decided against replacing the mirror mounts as they are £40, and just cut mine down instead. I also (with the help of Nicky) started to try and fix the rear demister - worth a shot before replacing the rear screen.

I think the only thing left to do before getting it out on track is the rear bearings.. =)

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts

Berkshire

Had the rear bearings done at a local garage today. They're a place that does a nice mix of supercars, performance cars and classic german metal - interesting place to have a poke around, checking out a modified GT2 RS next to a 'euro' mk4 golf, and next to that an R8..

Anyway, the bearings are fine now - which is good, but they also told me that my rear diff is making some very weird noises and could do with being replaced. They've also given me some other things to sort too and laughed at my terrible suspension.. great.

I took a bit of time the other day and mounted my go-pro ready for the upcoming trackdays, and I'm pretty happy with the location, althoughI think it could do with being a smidge lower and more forward.

I also received a package from A nice chap on E30 Zone with some parts that will hopefully help my stalling issue and a new master cylinder that might help my spongy brakes. I'll hopefully fit them over the weekend.

Really getting bored of the seemingly never ending list of parts that need replacing on this car.

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts

Berkshire

I whipped the throttle body and attached bits off, to replace them with the newer parts. Everything looked OK, except the gasket for the throttle body was in terrible condition. Perhaps this was the cause of my dodgy running.

Anyway, I called BMW at 10:30 to get a replacement, and was told that the chap was just dealing with a customer and they took my number to call me right back.. I'd heard nothing by 1pm so called them and of course they were shut.. great. Worst thing about BMWs so far in this project is the parts supply. If only there was an equavalent of www.minispares.com or www.eliseparts.com for the E30 scene everything would be so much easier.

I then attacked the brake master cylinder and reservior, and replaced them with new ones, and replaced the brake fluid (again). I haven't taken the car for a drive yet due to not having the gasket for the throttle body, but nothing exciting to report so far.

I then re-fitted everything with the exception of the gasket, which I'll slip in when I get one and hopefully it'll sort a few of the car's issues.

Edited by AlexB on 8th Feb, 2014.

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts

Berkshire

Not much to report lately really.

I've replaced the rear diff with a good used one from Raw Motorsport.

I've bought a new rear screen, and am waiting for it to arrive so I can fit and hopefully get my rear demister working.

I have messed around more with the seating position as I am still not happy with it.

I painted some areas where the rollcage had been welded to the body, and left as exposed bare metal.

And today I removed the fire extinguisher so I can send it off for a service, and also painted a bit more red in the cabin to hide some of the scuffs and what-not.

Trackday next friday. :)

Edited by AlexB on 26th Feb, 2014.

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts

Berkshire

In prep for my first track outing with the car, I spent a bit of time yesterday checking it over and running through a final check list. I've done half of it.

I checked over the brakes, and I think I've solved the spongy brake pedal (for now, at least). It turned out that if you pushed the vacuum pipe that attaches the inlet manifold to the brake servo hard enough, a crack would appear and it would start hissing. I presume this must have been happening when using the brakes from the cabin, too. I also re-bled the brakes with Nicky's help rather than an easi-bleed and removed a few bubbles. Not using that kit again!

I've still got a few little jobs left for the trackday (mostly tyre pressures, gopro charging etc), and I need to fit the new rear window that I received, but I think it's ready to have a play in, now.

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

ready to play in???? it's got no wheels on!!!

Have fun buddy, remember, if you don't stick it on the grass, your not trying hard enough.

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

ministar

107 Posts
Member #: 10760
Advanced Member

Derby

Good luck.

Whats the drivers seat? Cobra Suzuka?

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts

Berkshire

Something like that - I will check later. I don't like it. The angle is too tight (I prefer being a bit more laid back compared to my legs) and the wings are solid so you can't see left/right very well.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Have you got any spare wheels? Found you some tyres out.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts

Berkshire

I have (even if it is made up of 2 different type of alloy...). What have you found me?

Just checked - the seat is a Sebring S.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

Tyres, black round ones, semi slicks.

Like fuel 😂😂

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts

Berkshire

Intriguing.. will PM!

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts

Berkshire

Today was my first outing in the BMW on track. Nicky and I took a short drive over to Abingdon, to the airfield for a trackday run by Motorsport Events. It's not far from us, and I've been there before in my Lotus so I thought it would make for a good shakedown.

We arrived to torrential rain. It was bloody freezing. On the drive to the venue my indicators packed up (the hazards still work, but left/right indication no longer functions). There were only 18 cars booked in for the day, and not all of those turned up. We had about 4 cars on track at a time.

Luckily, the indicators were the only thing that broke all day!

We took the car out on the track on my road wheels and tyres first and dodged puddles - the car seemed OK but I had no grip at all. The tyres are cheap off-brand rubbish, so I decided to take the plunge and go for the 888's after seeing an Integra race car being hooned around without any real issues on the same.

On the Toyos the car was much better - more exit grip and better turn in. The only downside I noticed was it seemed to drag the car into the puddles more as we drove over them, making the 100mph straight a bit hairy.

The brakes felt OK, and while I still find the pedal a bit long the car never failed to slow when I pushed on the pedal, and I experienced no fade or odd wear.

The car used no oil or water during the day, which is good.

That all said - I do now have a list of things that I need to find solutions for - some of which are a pain in the arse.

- Indicators (as mentioned above).
- Wipers (On intermittent they seem to slide for 6 inches then park at random).
- Gearbox (Really loud whining and crunches into 2nd and 3rd).
- High-ish pitch grinding (I think this may be the little back-plates on the front hub/bearings rubbing on the hub - I noticed they were crap when I fitted the front hubs).
- Knocking when braking hard and/or turning hard (suspension, or a bush I suppose?).
- Throttle response (when standing still and going to pull away the revs drop before rising like normal, causing a kangaroo effect).

Here's a few pics from the day:

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts

Berkshire

Quick video. No audio as my HD Hero fucked it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIUhwcusRkQ

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Looks great on the track!

Shame about the box :(.

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts

Berkshire

Yeah, not much fun.

Here's a video showing the knocking noise. Someone mentioned it could be the differential / rubber prop bush if not the suspension?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9vDXWwKYfU

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts

Berkshire

As I'm waiting for parts before cracking on with the mechanicals of the car, I decided to try and fix something that had been bugging me for ages - the rear quarter. Now, I can't fix the dents as I am not talented in that sort of thing but I figured if I can at least make it the right colour.

This is the rear wing before I started: http://dorkish.com/albums/Cars/BMW%20E30%2...11-DSC03093.jpg
It has various different hammerite colours, and a huge area where the paint has come right off leaving primer behind.

The finish I now have isn't very good - but it's better than it was, and I'm pretty happy it'll do for now. It'll end up being covered in stickers anyhow.

Pics:

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts

Berkshire

I actually cleaned the car today, and decided to take a few more pics. Nothing really exciting, but I like seeing the car in one piece despite its bumps and knocks..

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts

Berkshire

No pics, but I've just replaced the prop, centre bearing, guibo doughnut thing and a few other bits and bobs.

Unfortunatley, I got a pattern part from an online shop for the centre bearing, and it wouldn't allow me to re-fit the dust shields, but as I have a trackday on Saturday I fitted everything without them anyway, and will order a new centre bearing and re-fit the lot next week. Urgh.

I also replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs.

smit360

216 Posts
Member #: 9845

Staffordshire

Looks great mate, do like the e30's.

I had to replace the guibo/doughnut on a e36 I had. Gives off a thudding when changing gear/putting your foot down.

998 t2 ongoing project.

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts

Berkshire

Yeah, exactly that. Seems quieter now, but I never noticed it on the road before the trackday either, so Combe on Saturday will be the real test :)

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

Careful round Quarry mate!!!

Like fuel 😂😂

smit360

216 Posts
Member #: 9845

Staffordshire

Yeah, hopefully. I think I read that the m3 ones are of better quality and to replace with them.

Enjoy!

998 t2 ongoing project.

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts

Berkshire

Took the BMW for a trackday at Combe today. I've never driven the track before, but it's great - lots of fast straights and really quick chicanes.

The car was OK - but I need to alter the setup a bit. My issue there is that my front shocks aren't adjustable and the adjusters on the rear are seised.

Anyway, I didn't take many pics, but I did manage to get a video before the battery in the GoPro died (after just 15minutes..). Annoying as I got faster during my few sessions of the day - this was my first session and my first go in the car in the dry, so my lines are all over the place and I hadn't figured out the braking or anything like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMiJHVToRp8

AlexB
Site Admin

6266 Posts

Berkshire

Oh, forgot to mention that Neil popped down which was ace - and I was there with Ric and Dave - great company and a good day out!

Home > Non-Mini Projects > OT: Going Racing.. (2015-10-15) - Season Over - 7th :(
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: