Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Non-Mini Discussion > damp in the garage.

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

Evening gents, Ive just been in the garage tonigh for an hour and the mini was covered in due, all the car just looked cloudy and when you touched I it was just wet !!

Now ideally i don't want the mini like that, its been at work for years and allways relatively warm and dry, ive now got it home but hate to think its going to be like this all winter!

The garage is a precast thing and has been up about 2years now.

Is there anything I can do to try and keep it dryer

Rick

Edited by cossierick on 11th Nov, 2013.

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

My garage is as damp as an otters pocket too, it's mostly the ingress of water in various places along with a condenser dryer being in there, but theres so much crap in there I can only keep my tools and parts in there, but it may be worth investing in a few of these? One worked well in Shaunas old micra, surprising just how much water they trap!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unibond-300g-Humid...humidifier+ball

Obviously there are different types around, but may be worth giving them a try.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Rick, this time of year I find it happens, it is due to the outside temperature quickly changing, give it a couple of days and it should dry out on its own.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Shauna

1043 Posts
Member #: 10424
Post Whore

Swansea boyo!

Haha yeah it was ace until it spilled all over the floor, gawd I miss my micra.
It's in my sisters room now which had quite a lot of damp and since putting it in there it's been a lot better! I have seen little egg shaped ones too but I'm not sure how they work or if they work as well, at least with that one you can see how much moisture it's drawn in..

On 11th Nov, 2013 Carlzilla said:
My garage is as damp as an otters pocket too, it's mostly the ingress of water in various places along with a condenser dryer being in there, but theres so much crap in there I can only keep my tools and parts in there, but it may be worth investing in a few of these? One worked well in Shaunas old micra, surprising just how much water they trap!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unibond-300g-Humid...humidifier+ball

Obviously there are different types around, but may be worth giving them a try.

They don't die, they just get faster!

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

toms right rick, I don't get this as I have 4" cavity in the walls and a timber roof,
I had a single prefab many years ago and it was dreadful this time of year the uk shitty climate .......... I used to drape old sheets over it and peg them on the line when the weather changed and got windy to dry them out ... It helped greatly !!

cossierick

3074 Posts
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

That'll teach me for buying a precast garage, it just made sense for cost time and space.

I do have a cotton cover for the car but unsure about covering it up when its like this.

I was thinking about insulating the recess in the concrete slabs then covering them in ply but then that leaves the cement roof sheets, so I think its a pointless exercise

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

yes it is rick . use the cotton sheets or I prefer a couple of large decorators sheets......... these are cheap and 2 will easily cover a mini top too bottom, just keep an I on the moisture and dry them out like I said,

the uk climate is more humid than the tropics check it out on google .......but its much colder ..... no wonder every one has arthritis and are dropping to bits

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

as already said, its condensation. A good breathable cover and ventilation would help

alaskanow0

1434 Posts
Member #: 8466
Post Whore

Mansfield

I've got the exact same situation with my prefab. So Just bought myself a second hand dehumidifier of eBay.

Class C 3rd Place Avon 2011 14.18 @101mph

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

My garage is brick with a tiled roof, its fairly well ventilated and I still get this once a year- not as bad as you say Rick, but heavy metal lumps do get a covering of moisture. Only lasts a day or so then dries out. It happens when the temps suddenly drop, as my garage is insulated it takes a while to change temperature, for example I've been out there tonight and was suprised when I opened the door to come in the house that its noticeably warmer outside than in the garage tonight.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

My garage is similar. I don't get moisture on the car, but the exposed machined bits of my block have surface rust on them now...

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Ours is built in against a sand hill. Gets a nice stream running through it when the ground is saturated!

I'd be happy with a little condensation.

Edited by jonny f on 12th Nov, 2013.

Paul R

4018 Posts
Member #: 1757
Back to Fucking Tool status

Swindon

Cheap cat litter, change it once a month keeps the rust at bay, I have been doing it for years *smiley*

Drives
-Ford S-max Mk2 Ecoboost
-Rover 100 VVC #2 - track project

Searching is all you need on TurboMinis

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Rick, You have seen Carls garage?................ Stop complaining about the damp lol, either that or line the walls with polished wheel rims *hehe!*

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

cossierick

3074 Posts
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

Ha ha yes I have, I think the homeless would even complain about staying in there lol

Rick

Home > Non-Mini Discussion > damp in the garage.
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: