Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Non-Mini Discussion > Land rover discovery info.

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

As you lads know most stuff about everything,

I am going to test drive a 1996 land rover discovery TDI tomorrow night.

It's the TDI 2495cc, 5 speed manual.

So is there any pit falls to these that I should keep an eye out for? It's just had a new mot so that's good.

It's going to be used by both of us to stick stuff in and not care about it, also when it snows, and as Jo pointed out to me, It would make a good toe car *smiley*

Any info would be great lads as I am going a little blind into this one.

Simon.

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

AlexB
Site Admin

6263 Posts
Member #: 1
The boring bloke who runs this place.

Berkshire

Rust rust rust.

One of mine had an oil pump let go and killed an engine. Easy enough to swap if you're not scared of spanners, though.

Bits are generally cheap and there are loads of places to get 2nd hands parts from, too.

ABS sensors can go if it's a later specced up one.

Did I mention rust?

Edit: here is my old one - awesome old beast!
http://dorkish.com/albums/Cars/The%20Old%2...10-IMG_2728.jpg

Edited by AlexB on 3rd Dec, 2013.

madmk1

5417 Posts
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

I was thinking rust, is there any hot spots to look out for? I have seen you can get most parts cheep. Also I am sure there will be some odd bits I could find at work.

Edited by madmk1 on 3rd Dec, 2013.

AlexB
Site Admin

6263 Posts

Berkshire

Boot floors, chassis (all over), arches mostly.

IT's british - everything can and will go wrong. Electrics are shockingly bad. They are very characterful and I'd buy another tomorrow *happy*

madmk1

5417 Posts
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

What sort of cash would you say is right for one of its age? With a years mot 4 good tyres and in very good over all Nic ?

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

As a baseline, a running MOT fail with solid mechanicals is 500 quid as a rule, so one with good tyres and a full ticket is 1500 quid of anyones money.

If you find one without a sunroof, chances are it'll have less rust - many will pay a premium for one wihtout a sunroof.

The lower 5ft of bodywork is where you need to really focus on LOL
In all seriousness, footwells, A-pillars, B Pillars, Sills (behind the plastic covers), inner arches, C-pillars, seatbelt mounts on rear arches, boot floor, and the rear 2/3 of the chassis.
The boot floor, inner arches, C-pillars, are all pretty easy fixes with new panels and a welder. If you come across one with "flaky" A pillars and sills though (and iffy boot floor / arches), it might be time to let the old dog die and find another example.

Always a good idea to carry a 6ft piece of wire with a croc-clip at each end to put 12v straight to the fuel solenoid incase your immobiliser starts playing up.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

shellspeed

580 Posts
Member #: 9580
Post Whore

Surrey

Rear end chassis as like minis the front is normally covered in oil lol. Front challis (steering joints) on early models same as defender get corroded and leak.

smokestack-lightning.

144 Posts
Member #: 10557
Advanced Member

as mentioned ....rust on lower body and rear of chassis ....main one to look out for is the body support struts...6 of these in total equidistant along each side if these are rotten its a lot of fabrication to re-build them.....and engine wise make sure it gets up to temp fairly quick (ie they havent taken the thermostat out), that there is plenty of coolant and there is no evidence of overheating (ie headgasket issues) can warp heads if over heated badly but new heads are only 400ish fully built. and make sure the heater works and there is no evidence of coolant in the foot wells....heater matrixes can corrode and leak and speaking from experience you will get to know the entire dash setup very well in the course of changing it......

If you maintain them like a 15-20 year old vehicle they are fine....neglect them and they will be fine...for a while but then you get hit with the big labour intensive jobs.

(NB the 3 doors are less prone back end rot than the 5 doors especially round the rear arches but its all relative....wouldnt be without mine)

Edited by smokestack-lightning. on 3rd Dec, 2013.

Double-Blind experiment, N:
An experiment in which the Chief Researcher believes he is
Fooling both the subject and the lab assistant. Often accompanied by
a belief in the Tooth Fairy.

WRLondon

1170 Posts
Member #: 8636
Post Whore

Surrey

all of the above but also check the fuel filter and follow the fuel lines to see if anythings been tapped into or replaced a small section
or any wires not connecting to anything

as you may not know these discos run on straight veg oil, and usually use an inline heater made up of a couple of glow plugs to heat the oil up before it reaches the injectors
& fit extra inline filters

also if they havent done that or used waste veg oil the filter will be pretty clogged with fat or a deep yellowy colour and probably smell like chips haha

and if its reddy pinky colour theyve used the tax free farm only red diesel and you should walk away
if you get caught for that the fine is in the 000's

Reading up on RTS Clutches

On 21st Sep, 2006 Paul S said:

Go on, be brave, put it in the car and tell us how it works.
Pity your bollocks are in line with the flywheel!
On 27th May, 2013 robert said:

putting my testicles on the line for turbo mini owners everywhere ,and they still work !

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Bit late but also try to find when the timing belt was last done. They also like to fail if neglected.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

madmk1

5417 Posts
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

I have just been to see it and let's just say I am off to get some cash now lol...

It drives spot on and has all the gears lol. There was no rust that I could find with out getting right under it, it had its mot last week *smiley* so if it don't go tits up it will be cheaper than a set of winter tyres for my BMW *smiley*

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

If you want my opinion, before you hand over the readies get your Scruffs on and get your arse under there with a torch, if there is no rust at all you've either found a museum piece or someone has done a good dollop of welding.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

madmk1

5417 Posts
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

Yes I had my torch with me mate, all the arches was clean, and it seemed to be well looked after.

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Check drivers and passengers foot wells rust hot spot there too!

If its a 2.5 should have a manual fuel pump, so no ecu and IIRC adjustable fuel and boost ;]

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

All the tdi apart from auto had the Mech pump. Bigger intercooler, gt17 or gt20 and they can be made to do things they shouldn't be able to... The stock turbo and intercoolers are pretty asthmatic as standard imo.
Next one i play with will also be getting a ported head and better manifolding as these are the next hindrances imo.

Edited by TurboDave16V on 3rd Dec, 2013.

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

On 3rd Dec, 2013 TurboDave16V said:
All the tdi apart from auto had the Mech pump. Bigger intercooler, gt17 or gt20 and they can be made to do things they shouldn't be able to... The stock turbo and intercoolers are pretty asthmatic as standard imo.
Next one i play with will also be getting a ported head and better manifolding as these are the next hindrances imo.

looking at the standard valves to me they look very skinny. is that not the main bottleneck after turbo/intercooler/mild porting.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

AlexB
Site Admin

6263 Posts

Berkshire

On 3rd Dec, 2013 Tom Fenton said:
If you want my opinion, before you hand over the readies get your Scruffs on and get your arse under there with a torch, if there is no rust at all you've either found a museum piece or someone has done a good dollop of welding.

I dunno actually mate - my red one had no rust to speak of - one tiny bit of surface stuff in the boot, but that was it. Some are just solid. It's weird.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I've also seen some that should have lead a hard life and be toast but are ok, and others from places that aren't known for rust that have issues.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Perhaps I've been unlucky then, but every single one I've ever been near has been a total rot box. Hence even though my old man was a Land Rover apprentice at Solihull and is Land Rover through and through, I bought a Shogun!
There is a lot to be said for Jap reliability I have to say.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Maybe some met the same fate as some later mini shells and sat outside with no protection to the bare metal.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

madmk1

5417 Posts
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

Well it's sat outside my place now *smiley* and I have too pick up jobs for it tomorrow.

I will get some pics up in the day light.

Edited by madmk1 on 4th Dec, 2013.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

I worked on a tdi300 engine , its been running around 30 psi on its stock t25 for 2 years now , with a huge intercooler , in cold weather it wheelspins all 4 wheels in the dry coming out of roundabouts.

for those with a poor opinion of the t25 upper boost capabilities ,the difference between 25 and 30 psi is very noticeable..;-0

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

madmk1

5417 Posts
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

I don't think I will be mucking about with it really, I want to keep my cash for the mk1 lol.

There is some little things I want to put right more like my OCD *smiley*

Edited by madmk1 on 4th Dec, 2013.

WRLondon

1170 Posts
Member #: 8636
Post Whore

Surrey

where are these pics then si? :p

Reading up on RTS Clutches

On 21st Sep, 2006 Paul S said:

Go on, be brave, put it in the car and tell us how it works.
Pity your bollocks are in line with the flywheel!
On 27th May, 2013 robert said:

putting my testicles on the line for turbo mini owners everywhere ,and they still work !

madmk1

5417 Posts
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

As always in my life the Devil is in the detail !! So I have been sorting out a load of little bone jobs on the beast!

Here is my valeting team giving it a going over*smiley* it was to cold for me to get my hands wet lol.

Also I found I nice bit of ply out side home base that fits in the boot nice.

Here it is now all good to go on it's first job.

Simon.

Home > Non-Mini Discussion > Land rover discovery info.
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: