Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > 998cc > Custom 998 manifolds

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

I agree with what you say about trying to make the most of a setup. For now I have tried to make the most of what I have got, trying to make everything work the best it can within my limitations, along with the relieving of stress on the engine whilst doing so and the possible increase in mpg, it should have better torque than if i didn't try to make the best of it. I'm all for making small changes to make things better. I'll probably try out a tuned length set of manifolds after i get to grips with the stuff I've got. I'll probably upgrade from the dinosaur t3 at that point too.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

thats a good plan, one bite at a time.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium

do you guys make those bends or buy them?

you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018

turbochargedstu

830 Posts
Member #: 908
Post Whore

gateshead

i have my sprite for all out fun and games. i just wanna build a motor into the elf, kinda standard looking, brass nuts ect ect and fit a small turbo down the back so it doesnt look too out of place and just gives it a bit of legs.

balls to the blower!!!

1330,stage3 head, gt1549, canems ecu, S/C box and drops

wagon_rider

113 Posts
Member #: 9241
Advanced Member

Edinburgh / Dumfries

Buy, got them mega cheap on evilbay

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

Paul, I knew there was a good gain to be had but did not thing it was really that much..

As you may know ive done a design like your yellow type?
my question is would i possibly gain from changing the collector to dump right at the turbo rather than that long pipe?

the 3-1 collector is a nice rounded shape inside
that kink above the flanges is not that bad its the pic btw

perhaps i should look at doing a pulse matched intake manifold ?

sorry dont intend for this to be a thread jack but to add to it is some way that helps others as well..

wagon_rider

113 Posts
Advanced Member

Edinburgh / Dumfries

Thread jack all you want - thats what forums are for - Discussing!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

I wouldn't change that. Put your efforts into the inlet.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

cool, think ive read that about 300mm is somewhere correct on length what about diamter?

id do the sort of wet? mani i guese u call it ie head runners plemum chamber carb feeding chamber

how whould/should i go about maintaining the proper fuel bown pressure n stuff that the factory plenum gives?

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Post Whore

belgium

So from what i see here modificate a normal aftermarket big bore lcb would not be that bad of an option?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

300mm long and 35mm bore. 1 1/2" OD stainless or aluminium 16swg stuff is ideal. Challenge is getting 300mm runners in the space, but it can be done.

I don't know about carbs, besides I thought you were running MS3?

On 22nd Jan, 2014 Turbo This.. said:
cool, think ive read that about 300mm is somewhere correct on length what about diamter?

id do the sort of wet? mani i guese u call it ie head runners plemum chamber carb feeding chamber

how whould/should i go about maintaining the proper fuel bown pressure n stuff that the factory plenum gives?

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

An LCB could be modified, but I don't think it would last long as they operate at high temperature.

Avoid the big bore LCB. I know that it is counter-intuitive but the standard bore LCB dimensions will generate higher amplitude pulses. Average pressure loss over the engine cycle will be higher, but it will be lower when the exhaust valve is open.

On 22nd Jan, 2014 Rammie2000 said:
So from what i see here modificate a normal aftermarket big bore lcb would not be that bad of an option?

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Post Whore

belgium

Hmm. Shame. Cant weld stainless. Tought there wzs zn easy shortcut... *hehe!*

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

chek out wintersurfers build thread,

he bought a setup that was hacked from an LCB, although its not pretty, it has stayed in one bit.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Why not? New liner in the MIG, stainless wire and a small cylinder (carefully worded for Rod S *wink*) of pure Argon and you are away.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

What Andy said, it's not going to be as pretty as tig welded stainless, but then again youre only going to see it if you're underneath the car, in which case you're fixing something else or you've happened to run yourself over. Or stood over the engine bay looking down the back of the block, which in some cases could be just as painful as running yourself over. *tongue*

On 22nd Jan, 2014 apbellamy said:

Why not? New liner in the MIG, stainless wire and a small cylinder (carefully worded for Rod S *wink*) of pure Argon and you are away.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Post Whore

belgium

On 22nd Jan, 2014 Carlzilla said:
What Andy said, it's not going to be as pretty as tig welded stainless, but then again youre only going to see it if you're underneath the car, in which case you're fixing something else or you've happened to run yourself over. Or stood over the engine bay looking down the back of the block, which in some cases could be just as painful as running yourself over. *tongue*

*happy* mhm might give that a try. just used to weld sheet metal but a a new challange is always great... *happy*

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Paul's butcherd LCB is holding up fine. The only issue he has had is with the flanges that meet the face of the head. On NA stuff (like an LCB) these are generally thinner, so he's experienced issues with them not being dead flat (presumably warped) and not sealing.

He's making big power for the spec too. Over 150 nanas at just 10psi.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Post Whore

belgium

On 22nd Jan, 2014 Paul S said:
An LCB could be modified, but I don't think it would last long as they operate at high temperature.

Avoid the big bore LCB. I know that it is counter-intuitive but the standard bore LCB dimensions will generate higher amplitude pulses. Average pressure loss over the engine cycle will be higher, but it will be lower when the exhaust valve is open.

that also counts for a big bore engine?

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I know bugger all about welding but I have welded stainless with a MIG and regular mig wire. I do use pure Argon though.

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

yep useing ms3x and will be doing efi once i get my self sorted but the carb will get me going
was thinking i could make the intake in such a way that it can be used later for efi by adding the injector bungs and swapping to a tb

id have to find a way to get things cut, shaped, marked and held in place being alu i dont have a gas welder

can u get glassless stainless wire hahah? or use ss bends and mild welds?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Yes, avoid the "large" bore LCBs for 1380s or race engines.

On 23rd Jan, 2014 Rammie2000 said:

On 22nd Jan, 2014 Paul S said:

that also counts for a big bore engine?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

If you need to start off with a carb, then you could just use the standard inlet manifold whilst you make the efi long runner inlet.

On 23rd Jan, 2014 Turbo This.. said:
yep useing ms3x and will be doing efi once i get my self sorted but the carb will get me going
was thinking i could make the intake in such a way that it can be used later for efi by adding the injector bungs and swapping to a tb

id have to find a way to get things cut, shaped, marked and held in place being alu i dont have a gas welder

can u get glassless stainless wire hahah? or use ss bends and mild welds?

wagon_rider

113 Posts
Advanced Member

Edinburgh / Dumfries

small cylinder (carefully worded for Rod S *wink*) of pure Argon

I use Argoshield Light for both Mild and Stainless on my mig - as you say it has a new liner too.

On 22nd Jan, 2014 Carlzilla said:
but then again youre only going to see it if you're underneath the car,

Unfortunatley mine will be on full show so will need to be pretty tidy, though, I do have more space for 300mm runners! :)

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Excellent memory.....*Clapping* So who will be first to call it a bottle of argon....

On 23rd Jan, 2014 tadge44 said:
I know bugger all about welding but I have welded stainless with a MIG and regular mig wire. I do use pure Argon though.
It works but what happens is the argon protects the stainless from oxidising (it would oxidise with argoshield or CO2) but the nickel and chromium and other alloying elements that make stainless what it is, migrate over to the weld wire metal leaving the stainless weak next to the weld. So not to be recommended for anything that is structural or sees a lot of heat cycling.

A small roll of stainless MIG wire is pretty cheap but throwaway argon cylinders are pricey - and a rental cylinder is only really justified if you have a TIG set as well.

Some liners are OK with stainless, the spiral mettalics (usually only found on larger machines with eurotorches) are fine, good nylon ones are OK but wear quicker.
But make sure to use the right diameter wire or you will have to change the torch tip as well. A lot of the smaller MIGs are setup for 0.6mm wire but stainless is more often 0.8mm or 1.0mm (it can be got in 0.6mm but it's less common).

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Home > 998cc > Custom 998 manifolds
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: