Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Drop gears oil jet

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

As assembly of my engine is coming close (finally!) I am thinking about last things to sort.
I remember reading about a mod to route oil over the SC dropgears to reduce noise.
IIRC Joe C did this mod.

I spent this morning searching the site but only found a thread discussing it many years ago.

I was wondering if this mod is worthwhile and if someone can provide pictures/directions for this modification?

Cheers,
Han

Dazed and Confused....

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

id thought about doing something like this along the lines of blocking the oil pressure releif where it dumps into the box and re drill the end of the block to intercet the origanal hole

this whould re route the execive oil pressure to the gears more or less but this only flows when the max psi is reached for the releife valve so at idle you whont see the benifets but at higher rpm it will see oil flow under load

cant see this hurting anything? ive not bothred yet as im lookign for a way to stop that idle noise the straight rollers give as you say if you could flood the gear mesh with oil it may help reduce noise

im hesatent to remove oil volule ferthr as im useing a x drilled cam oil jets turbo couldent thing theres muh more oil volume to go else where

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Sprocket has done this in the past. There will be pictures somewhere.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Just don't squirt directly onto the mesh. 45deg before would be a safe target.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Thanks for the reactions guys.
I would be interested in some pictures.

TurboDave, you mean squirt against the aluminium 'housing'? (don't know the proper word)

Dazed and Confused....

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

I think you are talking about a pressure fed idler bearing aren't you?

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 25th Mar, 2014 apbellamy said:
Sprocket has done this in the past. There will be pictures somewhere.

I think you might be getting confused with the pressure fed idler thrusts *wink* Not my idea by the way, Turbo Harry takes all the credit.......

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

It is quite possible I am (hence my signature.... :) )
Though I am pretty convinced there was a discussion about reducing SC whine aswell.. nothing might have come out though..

Must say that is a nice bit of engineering Sprocket (and Turbo Harry)!

Dazed and Confused....

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Yes, if you want to squirt into the gear me3sh to help the gears, perhaps also assist in chatter, then don't squirt into the mesh... Too much oil in the mesh is bad. Even inside the gearbox at high speed the gears beat th oil out of the way so there is a "wall" of oil around the gears, but not in the mesh. If you force excessive amounts of oil into the mesh with no method of escape prior to the flanks contacting, then you will create a whole load more problems than you were attempting to solve.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 26th Mar, 2014 TurboDave16V said:
Yes, if you want to squirt into the gear me3sh to help the gears, perhaps also assist in chatter, then don't squirt into the mesh... Too much oil in the mesh is bad. Even inside the gearbox at high speed the gears beat th oil out of the way so there is a "wall" of oil around the gears, but not in the mesh. If you force excessive amounts of oil into the mesh with no method of escape prior to the flanks contacting, then you will create a whole load more problems than you were attempting to solve.

Supersonic oil.....we don't need anymore of that lol

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

On 26th Mar, 2014 TurboDave16V said:

That's what I was thinking, forcing that extra layer in between meshes might create isssues.
Best feed it from the side...

Supersonic oil... :*tongue*

Sounds like it might theretically do something but in practice not that much..
We'll have to live with the whining then.. :)

Cheers guys

Dazed and Confused....

Amp

432 Posts
Member #: 7856

Essex

On 26th Mar, 2014 Yo-Han said:

Though I am pretty convinced there was a discussion about reducing SC whine aswell.. nothing might have come out though..

I remember this too and also thought it was Joe that mentioned it, maybe message him and see?

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

thats a sweet looking mod to the thrust faces perhaps this could be a fix for roasted housings as well

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Yes this was me.... sort of.

I tapped the gallery that drains downward from the relief valve to the gearbox M10 and stuck a grub screw in there.

I then merasured the depth of the relief valve and put a drilling from the end of the block in to meet the oil relief valve.

I was going to put a 90 deg onto the end of the block to point the oil toward the drops, but never got round to it, it looks like the oil will do a fairly good job of pissing onto them anyway with the hole where it ends up.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

You can buy an additive but I can't remember who by, but the demonstration for it is three plastic gears in a clear box and the additive helps keep a thin film of oil on the upper gears, whereas without it barely reaches the top one. Someone may know the brand and product.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Addatives........ Hmmmm......... Skeptical

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

you can just make out the drilling in this pic, above the water take off is the main gallery plug ( gold coloured) and above this and slightly left is the drilling I added,

IIRC there is a peice of casting in the flywheel housing that acts as a chute and directs the oil onto the top drop gear.

Edited by Joe C on 27th Mar, 2014.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Thanks for that Joe.
Did you notice any difference noise-wise before and after the modification?

Dazed and Confused....

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Bit of an old thread dust off.
While looking for something else I stumbled across this.....
I'm very curious with the oil fed thrusts of Harry and Sprocket, has anyone else tried this with long term success? It looks a very simple easily engineered solution if so?

Shane

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Member #: 11786
Advanced Member

Nothing to add from me, just throwing some pictures from turbo harrys build in.
http://www.minifreunde.at/harry/links/oilpressure.htm

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I had found Harry's site after some further digging, thanks though.

Shane

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Drop gears oil jet
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: