Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > 998cc > Turbo Oil Pump: Tap Block or Make Spacer?

seahuston

168 Posts
Member #: 10666
Advanced Member

California, USA

I've got a turbo oil pump for my 998 build. The issue is, as is well known, the shaft on the new pump is designed for a 1275 so it is a bit longer.

From research it sounds like my options are:
1. Tap a new hole in the block and shorten the shaft.
2. Make a steel adapter plate to take up the extra gap and provide mounting holes. Does anyone have pictures of this setup? I have heard of these being sold but haven't seen any. I'd be a little worried about adding extra metal contact (more gaskets) and potentially messing up oil flow. I still think this may be a better option, though.

I'd love to see pictures if anyone has used the adapter plate.

smit360

216 Posts
Member #: 9845

Staffordshire

I tapped the extra hole in the block and shortened the shaft.

998 t2 ongoing project.

Mike-998

882 Posts
Member #: 9774
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I did the same, bolted the housing up by itself, used the hole in the housing as a guide, then tapped 1/4 UNF.

I cut off the raised part of the housing, then ran the whole lot over some fine sand paper over a surface table. for the shaft it was some handheld grinder work, comparing it to a standard 998 oil pump shaft for sizes

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...tid=469104&fr=0

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Drill and tap a hole and grind the shaft.

I used a plate at one time, but it ads weight and complexity.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

seahuston

168 Posts
Advanced Member

California, USA

Roger on all of that all, thank you for the help and advice.

It took me a while to get my head around how to do it but this is what I came up with. The big difficulty was that the slot drive needs to be extended (there isn't enough extra length to just cut a new one). To do this, I used a parellel on the vise as shown. Checking it with a level showed that it was close.

Then I milled the slot deeper (slot length for me was .601" from the tip):

After that, I removed material so that the slot length was (.328"):

Finished product!

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

I have mill envy *frown*

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

quality mod this is looks sweet

seahuston

168 Posts
Advanced Member

California, USA

Thanks for the support. I'm very fortunate to have a great manual work area to use at my job. Hopefully this can help others if they need to do this mod.

I was surprised how well it cut because I figured it would be case hardened (difficult to file) but the carbide cut it like buttah.

seahuston

168 Posts
Advanced Member

California, USA

Got the block tapped last night. I may as well share the pictures for future reference:
Mounted the block on the table and then clamped on the bearing cap area. I then put the oil pump in and mounted it up with the hole that fits.
I then put a dowel pin in the chuck and move around X and Y until the pin slid with no binding.

Next, it's just a matter of drilling and tapping the hole. I went .70" deep on the drilled hole and used a bottoming tap as far as it would go.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Perfect job by a precision engineer.

I have seen it done, successfully, with an angle grinder and pistol drill.

seahuston

168 Posts
Advanced Member

California, USA

Thanks Tadge, hopefully this can help someone in the future. Even if you need to take it to a machine shop to get it down, show them some pictures of the setup, it may save some monies.

Home > 998cc > Turbo Oil Pump: Tap Block or Make Spacer?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: