Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Carb Rebuild Help Needed

seahuston

168 Posts
Member #: 10666
Advanced Member

California, USA

All,

I've been following the rebuild guide here and the SU instructions for rebuilding my HIF44 carb but am having trouble with a few steps.

I am stuck on which lip seals to use for the spindle, there look to be too options and the manual says that they are different depending on year of manufacture.
Picture of the spindle and the seal options. I'm fairly sure it is the smaller seal.
Also, i never removed or had the white plastic washers that are mentioned the the rebuild guide. The new kit doesn't have these, can I find an easy alternative?

I am having similar questions on the choke assembly. I can't figure out what o-rings to use on the inside spindle. I kind of think they are not included which is a bummer as mine were completely shot. Is this something I could source at a local hardware store?
Choke assembly and remaining seals:

Thank You!

Kean

2406 Posts
Member #: 341
aka T2clubby

South Staffs

I cant remember the spindle, but the choke ones definitely do not fit and I had to buy some separate o rings to suit.

seahuston

168 Posts
Advanced Member

California, USA

Thanks for the help. I'll try and source some o-rings at the hardware store.

I definitley don't have the white plastic washers. Could anyone help me out with the thickness of these? I'm note sure if they function to crush the lip seals in which case the thickness would be important.

lee.pb

1418 Posts
Member #: 9199
Post Whore

Lancashire

Looking at the pictures i would suggest the larger seals for the spindle, fitted as per the bottom seal in the picture.

This seems the incorrect way but it is right on a turbo carb. ie taper towards the outside if that makes sense.

Just rebuilt one myself and since its not fitted could measure the plastic washers if you want tomorrow.

What the mind can conceive the mini can achieve
MITP 2012 17.01 seconds 1/4 mile against "The Don"
MITP 2013 16.83 seconds 1/4 mile

seahuston

168 Posts
Advanced Member

California, USA

Lee: Thanks so much!
If it's not too much work getting the thickness of the washers would be great. I imagine this ID and OD are just sized to match the shaft/hole.

To confirm on the shaft orientation, are you saying that the flat portion should go towards the bore so that the "lips are facing out or vice versa?

lee.pb

1418 Posts
Post Whore

Lancashire

Apologies for the poor photoshop lol i'm no Oli with it.

The flt should be towards the outside as per the picture. On a n/a carb its the other way, if you ever need to rebuild one.

I'll have a look at my carb today for you not to much trouble to remove a linkage at present.

seahuston

168 Posts
Advanced Member

California, USA

Heard back from Burlen today about the spindle shaft o-rings. Looks like I've been a bit daft:

"The ‘O’ ring on your starter body assembly looks to be correct, None of the three ‘O’ rings (shown in the picture) fit onto your starter spindle, although the grooves in the spindle may lead you to believe otherwise. The only seal that fits onto the spindle itself is the spindle seal (which I believe is in the picture, bottom right). "

Lee: thanks for the for help, I'll work on getting things more together tonight

lee.pb

1418 Posts
Post Whore

Lancashire

Your looking about 2mm for the plastic washer.

Looking at it, it seems to be more if a seal protection washer than anything else.

seahuston

168 Posts
Advanced Member

California, USA

Thanks a ton! Got the carb mostly back together (lost the needle spring). 2mm seems a bit right on the washer and it definitely is not used to compress the seals. Thanks!

lee.pb

1418 Posts
Post Whore

Lancashire

Its only fuction seems to be to protect the seal from the return spring.
I have had carbs without the washer but that probably becasue someone has had it apart before.

On 6th Apr, 2014 seahuston said:
Thanks a ton! Got the carb mostly back together (lost the needle spring). 2mm seems a bit right on the washer and it definitely is not used to compress the seals. Thanks!

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Carb Rebuild Help Needed
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: