Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > My Own Connecting Rod Balancing Stand!

seahuston

168 Posts
Member #: 10666
Advanced Member

California, USA

Not sure if this is the correct section to post this but I'm pretty excited to show off the stand I made for balancing connecting rods.
I'm nearing completion as I still need to make a block to hold the little end on the scale.
The large roller fits in the big end with .025" clearance and spins on two roller bearings. There is a thrust bearing behind it as well.
The knurled brass screw goes through a roller bearing and also has a thrust bearing behind it. The screw is used to adjust the height.
If people are interested, I can draw up the parts but it's pretty straight forward. Also, if anyone would like to borrow it, I'm happy to post it around once I'm done but I'm in the US so shipping will be a little $$$.
I will keep updating this as I complete it and post pictures of it in use.

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

looks good mate, take it you have some nice scales to complete the task.

are yo just balancing or mod + balance?

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Interesting collection of stuff on the work bench :)

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Good effort.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

seahuston

168 Posts
Advanced Member

California, USA

So I finished this up last night. I sadly didn't take many pictures of the actually machining which is the more fun thing to look at but I get so into it I forget pictures.
To make the base for scale, I took a 2"x1"x.5" piece of aluminum and reamed a 3/8" hole for a dowel pin press fit, I also tapped a 1/4-20 hole in the bottom.
Reaming (done in the same setup as cutting the base to ensure perpendicularity):

Then I faced off a little piece of aluminum for the base and drilled a clearance hole.

(the center hole doesn't do anything, this was a recycled peice)
I originally tried without the base but it just fell over.

Finished and in action!

Pictures of the linkages for those that are curious:

Regarding questions:

I'm just balancing the rods I have. I was going to polish and such but I'm hearing it's not such a big deal.

I picked up a cheapish digital scale on Amazon that looks like it will do the job fine. I'm expecting my tolerance to be around .5g but I'll need to look at the repeatibility of the setup a bit before committing to a tolerance.

Yeah, my desk at work is a bit of a hodge podge of stuff and... I've been too lazy to take out the recycling (I did it right after the pictures actually, promise!)

As an aside, can anyone tell me if my pictures are coming out really large? Sometimes they show up that way on my PC and other times they don't

m30

19 Posts
Member #: 10415

Good effort up to now, but you might find that you get more accurate results if you make a bush for the little end as well, something thats a easy fit by hand. Ive always found that any scope for movement either nearer or further from your pivot stand will show large differences in the little end weight shown, even on the same rod

Stu

seahuston

168 Posts
Advanced Member

California, USA

Stu,

Thanks for the tip. I'll try and get a bush turned up or source a bearing to fit. I assumed that the linkage holding the big end would allow lateral movement to help with this issue.

m30

19 Posts
Member #: 10415

On 31st Mar, 2014 seahuston said:
Stu,

Thanks for the tip. I'll try and get a bush turned up or source a bearing to fit. I assumed that the linkage holding the big end would allow lateral movement to help with this issue.

When using digital scales, you'll find that they are so accurate that any difference between the centre line of your big end support and the little end support will show up on the scales. Try out what you have first, put a rod on, weigh it, then remove it and move the two supports closer together so the big end support is not vertical and the little end support is not central in the little end and see if it makes any difference. You see a lot of guys suspending both ends of the rods on long hangers. Maybe something to keep your two uprights at a constant distance apart would help as well

Stu

Home > Technical Chat > My Own Connecting Rod Balancing Stand!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: