Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > fly wheel stuck on

MattyC113

87 Posts
Member #: 10248
Advanced Member

Hertfordshire

Hi guys

I've got a red hot mini 998 engine that i am rebuilding it has sat for a while and the fly wheel wont come off i cant physically get any more pressure into the puller i have doen everything i can think of to get if any one else have any ideas to help me

cheers

madonminis

644 Posts
Member #: 9371
Post Whore

East Yorkshire

Try not to put silly amounts of pressure on, I broke mine this week doing that. You can either leave it overnight and tap it with a hammer. Or what worked for me was slacken it off and re do the whole procedure. After my puller broke i got another one, as soon as it went on he flywheel came off easy.

BHP sells engines, but Torque wins races!

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

Heat heat heat heat. Did I mention heat?

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

make sure the puller is dead square with the flywheel. The cast pullers are not always that well made.

I put it on and them rotate it on the flywheel and check my eye that its square the lock the fly wheel and apply some pressure.

oh and it may fly off when it does come free!

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

Minispares flywheel puller, heat and an impact driver doing up the puller, helps to shock the flywheel off.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

MattyC113

87 Posts
Advanced Member

Hertfordshire

madonminis have redoen the procedure 8 or nine times now and it is still stuck and have soaked in wd 40 for a couple of days and still nothing

Vegard yes you did mention heat but with only access to it bein a small blow lamp it cant get it nearly as hot as i think you are trying to convey but i have tried heating it for 15 to 20 mins and nothing

gr4h4m

no its a brand new one from mini spares bout about a week ago and have put so much pressure into it it took me and my dad together to get it undone again buta small amount of pressure simly doesnt budge it

carlzilla yep virtually brand new puller heat and on one of my attempts have tried a impact gun but hasnt budged

will have another go this weekend but i have tried evrything you kind folks have suggested

can anyone think of anything else ??

Sir Yun

510 Posts
Member #: 1592
Smart Guy!

mainland europe near ze germans

I think it is time to apply serious heat.. get a bigger (or two or three) torch (es) so you can heat the flywheel up quicker without it soaking out to the rest. It needs to be ridiculously hot as fast as possible .

I have seen this work even on 1 meter diameter cogs than had been baked on in glass factory machinery for years.

Has worked for me so far. I used a very sturdy puller made from a 3/4 steel pressure pipe flange and 12.1 bolts and a 2 meter lever.
be careful as when it does go now it will pop off quite violently.

Edited by Sir Yun on 22nd Apr, 2014.

That sir, is not rust, it is the progressive mass reduction system

http://aseriesmodifications.wordpress.com/

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

no one has said it yet, as its an obvious mistake, so I will......

you have removed the key washer from the end of the crank?

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

madonminis

644 Posts
Member #: 9371
Post Whore

East Yorkshire

There is also a technique using a ring of weld. Not done it myself so can't comment. Found it on another popular mini forum last week though.

BHP sells engines, but Torque wins races!

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

does it look like the flywheel has ever been off?

On 22nd Apr, 2014 Sprocket said:
no one has said it yet, as its an obvious mistake, so I will......

you have removed the key washer from the end of the crank?

was going to say it!

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

Once you have it wound up with the impact gun and lots of heat, get someone to stand on the engine on it's side (if it's out) and then get a long breaker bar and just keep applying pressure to the puller, with lots of heat. Have had to do this before with a mates 998, no matter what he tried nothing would budge it. In the end getting two people pinning the engine down and one person cranking round a breaker bar finally got it off. Brute force won in the end, but make sure that keyway washer is off as colin said, as otherwise it will never ever come off. (I've had an engine before with a domed key washer, god knows how much force was put into that before they realised what they did.)

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

DILLIGAF

166 Posts
Member #: 9128
Advanced Member

Find someone with a sykes pickervant hydraulic puller, no flywheel has ever defeated mine.

MattyC113

87 Posts
Advanced Member

Hertfordshire

yes teh lock key washer is out no it doesnt seem to ever have been off

i will try to get hold of my mate and borrow his oxy acetelyne set up to heat it

thanks guys will have a go when i can get my mates oxy set up

thanks guys

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

On 22nd Apr, 2014 DILLIGAF said:
Find someone with a sykes pickervant hydraulic puller, no flywheel has ever defeated mine.

Someone at bingley was making a new version of the hydraulic puller. About £100 can't remember who? Sprocket might remember

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

http://www.kentautodevelopments.com/shop/p...flywheel-puller

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

Kean

2406 Posts
Member #: 341
aka T2clubby

South Staffs

Is the engine out of the car?

If so, get the puller exactly square by measuring each bolt, then crank it up as much as you can. Leave it half hour then give the head of the main bolt one sharp blow with a big hammer. Stand clear, works every time in my experience.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 22nd Apr, 2014 gr4h4m said:

On 22nd Apr, 2014 DILLIGAF said:

Someone at bingley was making a new version of the hydraulic puller. About £100 can't remember who? Sprocket might remember

I'm pretty sure it was Guessworks.

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Also, some flywheels were never destined to come off as they have completely welded themselves to the crank. When they do eventually part in one way or the other, huge chunks of metal have been exchanged between the two parts.

Not saying this is the case, more worst case scenario.

Now stop being a pussy and put some effort onto the center bolt of the puller, then smack the same bolt sharp and square with a heavy blow. make sure you keep your feet well out of the way, or better still, refit a few of the cover bolts with big round penny washers *wink*

Tupers

324 Posts
Member #: 9441

South Devon

This is what remains of the last flywheel I removed. After multiple attempts to heat it, pull it and hit it it was going no where so it had to sacrificed.

Kean

2406 Posts
Member #: 341
aka T2clubby

South Staffs

This shows how far they can jump

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I bought a short engine from a bloke that had taken the cut off saw and cut through the tail of the crank behind the flywheel and everything else in its path. The block still has the remains of the studs in their holes. I weighed the crank in. A bit drastic if you ask me. It was the tool they had, it was the tool they used.

Edited by Sprocket on 22nd Apr, 2014.

DILLIGAF

166 Posts
Member #: 9128
Advanced Member

This is the set you want

Attachments:

Edited by DILLIGAF on 22nd Apr, 2014.

turbomoke

13 Posts
Member #: 10774

seaford australia

Leave the flywheel bolt in and turn it 1& 1/2 turns out so the flywheel doesn't break your legs. you can also give the flywheel a good hit with a heavy mallet through the starter hole with tension still on the puller. rotate it to a few different spots to hit. be careful not to break the transfer case. Have seen them welded on though!! Good luck. Ben

MattyC113

87 Posts
Advanced Member

Hertfordshire

cheers guys i have will ahve a go when i get a chance but i think i have done pretty much everything u have suggested apart from put a lot of heat into it

so will have a go at the weekend

btw sprocket i have had me my dad and my brother with an of cut of scaffold tube with a breaker bar on the main puller bolt all tightning it up so i doubt the reason it aint coming of is coz we are being pussys with it :)

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

On 24th Apr, 2014 MattyC113 said:
cheers guys i have will ahve a go when i get a chance but i think i have done pretty much everything u have suggested apart from put a lot of heat into it

so will have a go at the weekend

btw sprocket i have had me my dad and my brother with an of cut of scaffold tube with a breaker bar on the main puller bolt all tightning it up so i doubt the reason it aint coming of is coz we are being pussys with it :)

nothing to add really without repeating all the above, ive had 1 do this to me and the end result was crank and flywheel centre in the bin

and on another engine for a rather famous upside down skip, i managed to twist and snap the big centre bolt in the puller, got the flywheel off though *happy*

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > fly wheel stuck on
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: