Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > 998Ti - St2

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

That makes sense, I assumed (wrongly) that you were trying to maximise the heat in the turbo

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

There are potential hp gains to be made by wrapping the manifold. Less heat lost means lower back pressure (TIP) and subsequently a higher VE.

However, it is marginal in this case given the thick wall tubing.

Or, to be honest, I can't be arsed :) Last time I did it, I cut my hand to shreds on the sharp metal clips provided to secure the wrap.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Would ceramic coating be a good (expensive?) alternative?

http://www.jbperf.com/

Sir Yun

510 Posts
Member #: 1592
Smart Guy!

mainland europe near ze germans

My limited experience with wrapped manifolds is that they don't like it.. moisture and heat make for interesting corrosion.

this seems interesting : http://www.zircotec.com/

That sir, is not rust, it is the progressive mass reduction system

http://aseriesmodifications.wordpress.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Benjamin coated his:
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=149401

He hasn't been around for a while, but an update would be useful.

I can't help think that for short term road blasts, you're not on the throttle long enough for it to make much difference. By the time the outer surface of the manifold is up to temperature and the benefits of insulation come into use, you are off the throttle.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

The coating isn't cheap to get done. I was going to have my maniflow exhaust manifold done but it was cost I didn't want to stretch too.

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

warped mine to lower under bonnet temps mostly as theirs a whole lota surface area

if you do wrap your exhaust a few things
long sleaves and rubber gloves fiber glass will get in your skin and ich like all shit also to make it easy to conform the wrap to the shapes soak the roll in a bucket of water this also keeps those fibers from getting air born and in your lungs!

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

I didn't like those metal clips they supply either. In the end I used stainless MIG wire and twist tied them in place. Much easier and neater.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Just a few wires to connect *frown*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

ECU wiring all done, just need to re-introduce whats left of the factory loom:

JT

2742 Posts
Member #: 637
Post Whore

Hertfordshire

That's alot of wires there lol!!

I'd not enjoy wiring that up. Well done!

My build thread..

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=542985

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Progress.

What are the dodars bolted to the head? knock sensors?

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Yes, knock sensors.

It's running 9:1 CR but I want to wind up the boost at some stage. Water injection and knock sensors with individual cylinder ignition retard as protection.

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium

Hy. Just been trough your tread on advise from here.
I am looking where you got the oil drainage from the turbo conected. I am building a side turbo to. But have some issues trying to figure out where to go with that oil. On the look of those pics mine does sit more in line of the length of the car and but lower though.

you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The turbo oil drains into the dizzy hole.

You can get an oil drain kit featuring braided hose off ebay which can be adapted for most turbos. Just need to drill and tap a dizzy bung.

giannoutsos

166 Posts
Member #: 8952
Advanced Member

Athens Greece

Hi Paul, what radiator are you using?
Thanks john

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I got it from MED:

http://www.med-engineering.co.uk/products/...e-road-radiator

Also available from Minispares.

giannoutsos

166 Posts
Member #: 8952
Advanced Member

Athens Greece

Thanks Paul,
Looking really good build

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Thanks.

It's starting to come together now. Would you believe that I started this project over 5 years ago!

Now getting some help from Axel as he wants it off the ramp so that we can start work on his Midget. He's finished of the fuel system and is now putting in the roll cage.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I seem to have spent a lot of time on the wiring, but can now see the end of the tunnel *smiley*

I suppose that it's the result of using a lot of bells and whistles rather than just the simple ECU setup. Also moving the engine bay loom inside the car.

3 fuse boxes with different functions: ECU, Gauges and the standard mini fuses. Relays for Main, Fuel Pump, WI Pump and Fan.

The car is going to be fitted with a full dash, so this should situated behind the glove box lid if I've got my measurements right.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Looks neat Paul but I am surprised you haven't used the proper relay bases.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I bought a 4-way relay base, but it is so deep, I could not fit it in the space *frown*

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

I used the miniature relays with the same rating as the ones you have used, but a lot lower in height when on the base.

Still, how often do you change a relay. Make fault finding easier if you can whip them out mind.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

looks so much neater than mine paul some day i might get the patients to do things 100%

what sort of numbers do you intent to run? is there a number or is it a case of starts small and tun it up till it feels fast enough?

trick stuff that knock detection and spark retard stuff

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

There is a simulation output somewhere that shows what the engine is optimised for.

The old engine had a flat torque curve around 100ftlb at 0.8 barg boost. The better head, bigger turbo and tuned manifolding should push the peak torque up, but, more significantly, achieve 100lbft up to 8000rpm.

The plan is to then up the boost till it goes bang *smiley* However, with the knock protection, better engine management and water injection, it should hold together for some record numbers *smiley*

Home > Show Us Yours! > 998Ti - St2
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: