Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > 998Ti - St2

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

100lbft @ 8k is a smidge over 150 bananas by my math, I remember when that was unheard of for big bore lump.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

*smiley*

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Yes! Can't wait to see it going

Gonna run it down pod? Put some people to shame *wink* my r53 will race you for the laugh

On 15th Dec, 2015 Paul S said:
There is a simulation output somewhere that shows what the engine is optimised for.

The old engine had a flat torque curve around 100ftlb at 0.8 barg boost. The better head, bigger turbo and tuned manifolding should push the peak torque up, but, more significantly, achieve 100lbft up to 8000rpm.

The plan is to then up the boost till it goes bang *smiley* However, with the knock protection, better engine management and water injection, it should hold together for some record numbers *smiley*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I shan't take it up the strip as I don't like driving anymore, cars neither to think of it *oh well*

For me, this is a science project, that's all.

Edited by Paul S on 16th Dec, 2015.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Ah damn dude :(

But it's good to see!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Most of the wiring has now been completed so I've been having a bit of fun with the instrumentation.

Given the current concerns that the 0-5v signal from the O2 sensor is not accurate and that the serial stream data should be used, I thought that I would set up some logging to get a handle of the errors that I can then correct by adjusting the scaling values in the MS3.

I'm using 3 Innovate O2 sensors which can be daisy-chained together and the digital data from the O2 sensors logged in Logworks. I've also got the Boost/Shift gauge that also adds MAP and RPM to the datastream.

There is also a historical and unsupported method to add data from the MS to the Logworks datastream, so, in theory, I should be able to add the O2 value for each sensor derived from the 0-5v signal by the MS3.

Well I finally got it working today:

Screen shot from Logworks:

The top 3 O2 gauges are the digital/serial values. The lower 2 are from the MS3 0-5v value. Getting the 3rd value needs a bit more work.

None of the gauges are properly setup yet and the 0-5v signals are not connected so the values are all over the place, but the main stumbling block of combining the 2 datastream into one piece of logging software is sorted :)

Edited by Paul S on 13th Feb, 2016.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Using a TinyIOx would make this a whole lot simpler. You would have everything in TunerStudio.

Having said that, it will be interesting to see what you find out.

http://www.jbperf.com/

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

blimey well done.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Man that's some wiring!

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

I read your above post out loud to my mrs and she thought i was speaking foreign!! Mind boggling skills you have for this science project!

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 19th May, 2014 Paul S said:
So, do you think that this paint job can be transferred to a car?

I couldn't think of a way of using the Roubaix paint scheme on the Mini, so I built a new bike.... sorted *happy*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

A bit more progress this weekend. Too windy for the push bike *frown*

Finally fitted the dash from Sturgeo's car. It will do nicely:

All the Innovate stuff is connected up. Some odd readings on oil pressure and water temp to resolve but maybe just the minimum.

Datastreams combined on the laptop and showing some comparable readings on the digital/analogue channels but not the gauge display *oh well*. Displaying/logging the 5v gauge output for AFR1 as reference. Still can't find AFR3 on the ECU though *frown* :

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Looking Good Paul

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 21st Feb, 2016 Paul S said:
Still can't find AFR3 on the ECU though *frown* :

Offset 254 is not working?

http://www.jbperf.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 21st Feb, 2016 jbelanger said:
On 21st Feb, 2016 Paul S said:
Still can't find AFR3 on the ECU though *frown* :

Offset 254 is not working?

No. There's something odd going on. I've edited the xml file for 252, 253 & 254, using 'A' and 509 bytes but Logworks says that it is using the old 28 & 30 for AFR1 & 2 and the plugin does not give me the option of AFR3.

It's not the end of the world as I only intend to use it to check that vailidty of the 0-5v signal, which I can do with AFR1 & 2, but I'm seeing some odd numbers so far.

EDIT: Windows 10 has, for some unknown reason, copied the Logworks2 & 3 folders to the "virtual store" which is why my edits have not taken effect *frown*

Edited by Paul S on 21st Feb, 2016.

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Amazing stuff Paul.
That wiring just scares the hell out of me; it's the bit I fear most.

(And that dash looks awesome!)

Dazed and Confused....

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Success:

Top row of O2 gauges are off the Innovate MTS datastream, the lower row are picked off the MS3. Boost and RPM come from the Innovate stream.

Used 'A' and 509 bytes, channels 252, 253 & 254, so it can pick up the full dataset *happy*

Biggest problem turned out to be getting around Windows 10 "User Access Control" and Folder "Ownership" so that Logworks was reading and writing to the correct folder :x Even then had to delete copies of the Logworks folders in the "Virtual Store" !!!

Next job is to set up a tablet displaying calculated channels such as Delta AFR, Average AFR etc to supplement the actual gauges.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Fitted some old wheels and trim to check that the tyres do not stick out too far.

Looks fine :)

Need to get the 12" steels coated and some new tyres.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Ready to start, almost :)

Barrieri

307 Posts
Member #: 11231

Nice setup Paul :)

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Exciting!!

Dazed and Confused....

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Christ, getting oil pressure should come with a health warning :(

Now on to setting up the ECU.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

She runs :)
Sorted out all the electronics and got oil presure last week. Today, set the fueling, adjusted the timing, put the spark plugs in, powered up the injectors and coils, turned the key to check for firing and at the second attempt she was running!!!! Took longer to upload the video. A bit of smoke from the manifold.
First run is at high revs to bed in the camshaft which is just as well as it did not want to idle. Need to carry out a few checks and make further adjustments, but major milestone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAyCpcE7Tvc

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

congrats paul .be great to see its power graph .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

samforsey12345

18 Posts
Member #: 10987

Bromsgrove, DY9 0BB

looks awesome. keep it up

Home > Show Us Yours! > 998Ti - St2
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: