Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > 998Ti - St2

theoneeyedlizard

7259 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Looks great. Was it pretty straightforward? I hate bodywork and paint!

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

I do not enjoy doing bodywork. That's one of the reasons it has taken so long to get round to it.

Looks can be deceiving. It's OK but wheeling it out into daylight has revealed a few runs *frown* They will rub out though.

Biggest problem is lack of width to the barn and actually seeing what is going on even with a couple of spotlights. Black paint just absorbs all the light so that it is very difficult to gauge how much is going on.

Now CADing up version 29 of the inlet manifold.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

I always like a black mini.

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

me too.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I'm liking how those 12" steels with 145s sit just right in the wheel arch without any arches.

Thinking of getting them blasted, painted black, fit some 165s and use some chrome nuts.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Moved some Minis this morning.

Sturgeo's Racing Flame has sat on the ramp for 4 years waiting for him to finish it. Got fed up waiting so just bunged the rear subframe on and got it mobile.

So the 998Ti St2 is out of the barn and into the workshop *happy*

Next job is to drop the subframes off, fit the fuel pipes, rebuild the rear subframe with adjustable stuff and minifins................. this list could go on for ever *frown*

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

I would keep all the rubber bits on the frames if they are not perished. Had to swap out at least half of the rubber bits on mine before it got anywhere near the road.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

Agreed, the new rubber is crap and splits, the rear subframe bushes I reused, I've kept an old filler neck seal too because the new ones you buy fall to bits in only a few months use :/

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

wng691s clubby

2057 Posts
Member #: 9252
Post Whore

Cleethorpes

as above I had new cv boots they split after 6 weeks found some nos

Done now needs redoing lol

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Unfortunately it not got any original rubber on it. I rebuilt the rear subframe about 5 years ago, so it will be interesting to see if the rubber has survived.

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

I've sprayed all my rubber with silicon grease out of a can why my cars not doing anything and all bushes and boots seem fine at the moment

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

I've done some looking into rubber preservation and loads of people recommend a product called Gummi Pflege, It's 2 for £10 on eBay so should last a good while. Only time will tell with how well it works but I'm pretty hopeful.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Small update.

Dropped the rear subframe to fit later fuel lines. Whilst it was off, I fitted rear camber brackets, hi-los and minifins.

Also, something I've been musing over for years, sorted out the sensor location and fabricated a trigger wheel for the rear wheel speed sensor.

Next job is to modify the floor pan for the fuel and water lines.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

*Confused*

On 23rd Aug, 2014 Paul S said:

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Washer lines?

Dazed and Confused....

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Water/Meth injection.

20 psi boost and 9:1 :)

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

got to love some water meth.... even if it does scare the crap out of me...

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Later fuel lines from the 93 Sprite (St1) run straight down the car. What I did not know was that the floor pans are different.

Rather than re-make the fuel lines to go around the floor pan, I've modified the floor pan:

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

We have a VSS signal :)

http://youtu.be/vDd91c2Rsbc

Edited by Paul S on 29th Sep, 2014.

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

This is interesting. I never found a solution I was happy with. What's the plan?

I found 5 or 6 'teeth' was the maximum the hall sensors I had would work with

On 23rd Aug, 2014 Paul S said:
Small update.

Also, something I've been musing over for years, sorted out the sensor location and fabricated a trigger wheel for the rear wheel speed sensor.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

very cool...

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 29th Sep, 2014 wil_h said:

This is interesting. I never found a solution I was happy with. What's the plan?

I found 5 or 6 'teeth' was the maximum the hall sensors I had would work with

I'm using this hall sensor:
http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Comp...-Stainl-50-0364

12 tooth trigger as shown welded to the hub which I've machined just to clean up on diameter.

Sensor is through the backplate as in photo.

I've got the same sensor working as main ECU tach signal on a 36-1 crank wheel up to over 5k rpm so far, but it does miss a few teeth now and then at low revs *frown*, so I'll be swapping back to a VR sensor.

However, I expect the sensor will be fine at this duty/application.

Edited by Paul S on 29th Sep, 2014.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Paul,

You may find it's the profile of that wheel.

Hall likes a nice sharp edge and suitable mass/sizes (in all three dimensions) (the datasheets will show minimum thicknesses).

If you are through the backplate, from your photo it isn't "square" on the leading edge and not very thick and certainly not equal in the three dimensions.

I may be talking total crap but the trigger wheels (ABS wheels) and hall sensors I use do match the datasheet requirements and the reading is fine at any speed even with a gap beyond the datasheet.

Have you tried spinning it up in the lathe and varying the gap/angle ?

For the crank you could try the VR conditioner circuit (even though it's Hall) as that will clean up a Hall signal too.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Rod, I think you have misread my post.

It's using that sensor on the 36-1 machined crank damper that is giving me problems.

I agree though that the wheel profile is not ideal. Problem is my CNC programmer has got all loved up and moved out. I had to do my best using Mach3 wizards. Next one will be better.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 29th Sep, 2014 Paul S said:
Rod, I think you have misread my post.
My bad, yes I didn't read it fully, just saw the bit where Wil said about the small number of teeth.

I'm surprised if a standard (square) profile on a crank 36:1 wheel gives problems with a hall switch.

From everything I've experimented with, hall seems so much more reliable than VR (both high speed and low speed on my ABS sensors).

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Home > Show Us Yours! > 998Ti - St2
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: