Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > 1450cc K1200 Build

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

they look like the have been media blasted

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Yeh, just blasted with some fine grit. Probably not the best stuff but its what i had! Probably better vapor blasted or soda blasted.

vegar

520 Posts
Member #: 189
Post Whore

Norway

Nice engine :)

www.shag.no

Custard

283 Posts
Member #: 8215

Rayleigh

Good work mate, plenty of k1100 engines popping up now!

Only posting a few pictures makes it seem easy! When I'm sure you put in countless hours

Dave the Cake

slater

1030 Posts
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Well I worked 8 days straight to get it built and in the car. At least 4 of those were 12hr stints.. That doesn't include the machining or sourcing any parts tho. That's literally building it from a pile of bits and making a few bits as i went like oil drain, stat housing, fuel system etc.

All that and the bloody thing still won't start..

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

When I first tried starting my engine the other week it wouldn't go either. I had the crank wheel configured wrong. After this as I'd spent so long cranking it and scratching my head I'd wrecked the plugs (got wet and never recovered). a new set and it ran like a treat.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

nky_84

218 Posts
Member #: 9213

Scotland

If its getting fuel and spark then its always been a timing issue for me. Check trigger wheel is tight and the ecu is getting a signal from the sensor. You can check with the laptop and sx tune software. In one of the settings windows you can watch it synchronise with the crank and count the teeth as it cranks. What is the final spark advance reading when its cranking?

Sir Yun

510 Posts
Member #: 1592
Smart Guy!

mainland europe near ze germans

you probably checked this, but have you considered the firing order 1243 vs 1342?

That sir, is not rust, it is the progressive mass reduction system

http://aseriesmodifications.wordpress.com/

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 7th Jun, 2014 Sir Yun said:
you probably checked this, but have you considered the firing order 1243 vs 1342?

Doesn't matter with batch/ wasted spark, its still paired 1/4 and 2/3.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

slater

1030 Posts
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Spent this morning on it and got no where really. We have tried everything that has been mentioned on here as far as i can see..

Its not timing as when it does pick up and run for a second or two it sounds perfect. I am almost sure that the ECU is simply cutting the fuel once it gets off cranking so it will run for a second or two on fuel hanging around in the ports then stop. Ive tried putting double the fuel in its supposed to have and it makes very little difference if anything at all.

Done all the usual swapping of leads / plugs / injectors. Done timing adjustments / fuel pressure tweeking / map tweeking / cam timing check /

Everything on the software looks like its working to me so there's really no option now than seek some outside help i think.

Yo-Han

971 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Did you already ask SC for support?
Apparently they are very supportive; IIRC they even provided remote support to someone on here by taking over the pc at ther RR(?).
Maybe they can see something in your ECU set-up?

Dazed and Confused....

slater

1030 Posts
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Yes have spoken to John but his suggestions so far have not worked. The only problem with the remote access thing is that we dont have internet at the workshop and even phone signal is pretty poor so i don't think it would work. Gonna speak to a few people Monday and see if we can get something sorted..

slater

1030 Posts
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

I did take a few pictures of it in there at least! It was a tighter fit than a mini and the bonnet doesn't close on it yet! I think it will go with it jacked up at the rear but im also toying with just cutting a hole in it to clear the pulleys for now. Most parts are only temporary. I think the heater will be ditched so that will mean a re-plumb on the water system so just knocked up something to get it running. Same goes for the fuel. I plan a new tank with integral swirl pot etc so this is just stop gap stuff.

Also been working on the brakes. Just need to find some mini steering arms so i can get the wheels on now i think! If it doesn't work i will probably get some alloy flanges and run spacers. Bit worried M5 bolts are not enough to hold the discs to the bells. 500g saving per side for the alloy bells alone btw.

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

engine looks sick dude!!

but since its gone in a metro wouldn't it been cheaper and easier to buy a 1.8 vvc engine ditch the head drop a lotus head on it and a stand alone ECU?

Arnoud

160 Posts
Member #: 1085
Advanced Member

Netherlands

hopefully it'll run a good as it looks eventually:) Where did you get the thermostat housing?

1963 Cooper
1975 Pick Up

slater

1030 Posts
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Easier maybe but pretty boring.

Stat housing is just two standard ones welded/bolted in some sort of vague arrangement for now..

Carl S
Forum Mod

1927 Posts
Member #: 1761
Stalker

Bristol

Looks excellent, good work!

BIG CVH

12 Posts
Member #: 10320

serious work going on here!!

i thought this was all going in a mini

Edited by BIG CVH on 15th Jun, 2014.

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Looks fantastic, I'm sure you'll figure out why it won't start and kick yourself when you do. Could it be a software glich in the ECU? Does it have any fault reporting? And is it possible to reload to software?

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

slater

1030 Posts
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Turns out the polarity of the crank sensor was wrong. It must have been picking up some sort of pulse at cranking but as engine speed picked up it lost it.. It's running now atleast so with a bit of brake bleeding and leak fixing we should see if ithe flywheel ends up like a bannana by the end of the weekend..

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

good news!

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

So glad it turned out to be a simple problem.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

slater

1030 Posts
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Also one that wasn't really my fault!! :)

The Can Bus adapter broke today.. Just looked up a replacement and its £90... Woop :(

Clutch drags too, il investigate further tomorrow but i don't think its too bad as you can physically see the pressure plate move away from the flywheel so hoping if i can get it going it will bed in a bit. Pretty happy with how the pedal feels tho.

Other than that all looking ok.

nky_84

218 Posts
Member #: 9213

Scotland

On 21st Jun, 2014 slater said:
Also one that wasn't really my fault!! :)

The Can Bus adapter broke today.. Just looked up a replacement and its £90... Woop :(

Its really fragile, and not the best of designs. If you open the cover, it will probably just be the connector pulled off the board. I hard wired a spare usb cable to it and taped it all up so its much more durable. I now have a standard usb lead to plug into the laptop, which is bomb proof compared to the adapter.

slater

1030 Posts
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Can you get an alternative then? I looked up can bus - USB adaptors on google but they all seemed in the same sort of price range. Don't really understand can bus that well. The omex ecus I've used before just used rs232 which was nice and simple..

Tried to repair the break but it had pulled the track off the pcb and I couldnt get it re-soldered.

Home > Show Us Yours! > 1450cc K1200 Build
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: