Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > 998cc > NA 998

just_jack

545 Posts
Member #: 2928
Post Whore

peterborough

Have been searching lots for some information over the last few days and unfortunately can not really find the answers I'm looking for, maybe I am not wording my searches incorrectly but I am getting frustrated and becoming impatient, I thought I would get the answers I'm looking by asking what I feel is the best way to word my question. I'm sure with the wealth on knowledge on this forum the answers will basically be one word answers....

My situation, 7 months ago me and my partner had a first child, unfortunately with me recently starting a new chapter in my working life I am only living on a poor mates rate wage and my partner still on maternity pay... As a result we are struggling to get what we feel would be the final few pennies towards a healthy deposit for our first mortgage. In this situation I have decided to sell one of my minis but in it's engineless form it would make near as much as what I feel it could so, I will be putting a 998 back in it and saving my turbo bits for my other mini (my first car) for when I get space at a new house hopefully giving me a little bit more time to play around as well.

This leading me to my questions, as I don't want to put a standard 998 back in I am looking to change the head and cam. Reading up it seems like the best head would be the 12G295 (which I have managed to source for what I deem a reasonable price) and the MG Metro sounds like it works well which I am still looking for. I have also read that the 12G202 is a performance improving replacement head but not nearly quite as good as the 295, so QUESTION 1 If I was to spend a little bit of money on a 202 replacing valves and playing with the ports could it be made a replacement as effective as the 295 or should I just stick with the 295 as both options seem around the same price range?

Regarding the cam I have the useable Kent 286SP cam and a Kent 296MP, QUESTION 2 Would either of these be a better choice than the MG Metro cam or will they simply be too much for and 998 and revvy for a road car? (I found the 296 to be bearable in previous engine but that was a much larger displacement 1330)

And finally reading about head and trying to find valve sizes it was brought to my attention that the combustion chamber in the 295 overlaps the 998 cylinder? Is this the case with the 202 as well? And a 27mm exhaust valve would potentially hit the block with a high lift cam and head skim, is this correct?

Thank you for any advice in advance

Jack Jones

wng691s clubby

2057 Posts
Member #: 9252
Post Whore

Cleethorpes

if your just building the engine to sell the car don't spend too much on it as it'l just be wasted. mini's in any form go for silly money on ebay at the moment

Done now needs redoing lol

Shauna

1043 Posts
Member #: 10424
Post Whore

Swansea boyo!

Don't bother building an engine someone else will mosy likely rip out when you've sold it. If you've got a untouched 12g295 you'd be better off hoarding it, I bought one that still needs to be converted for £120 and one that was converted went for £350+ not so long ago on ebay. Putting in a slightly quicker 998 isn't going to make any real profit after buying all the parts.

They don't die, they just get faster!

just_jack

545 Posts
Post Whore

peterborough

Thank you for the advise👍👍

The 998s I have both have no head fitted at the moment and I don't think a standard 998 would suit or show justice to the rest of the car, as I need to throw a head on at least it'll be at least a 202 or 295 but would like some further input as to which one would be best for me 😃

Jack Jones

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

The 295 is the best head, it would take a LOT of work to get a 202 as good.

Valves do not overlap on a 295 or a 202 (but they do on a 940).

Stick with 33m inlet and 29mm exhaust maximum. These will clear the bore.

Don't use those cams. If you have a nice 295 and 10.5:1 CR then a 276 would be lovely. Failing that a 266 is much like an MG cam.

But as above, think how the value if the car will increase. I bet you won't get your money back.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Careful fitting bigger valves to a 295. If you fit 29mm to a standard bore engine you will touch. Tell me how i know!! Might be ok if you +.60" or there abouts.

I agree tho, no way in a million years you will get your money back.

just_jack

545 Posts
Post Whore

peterborough

Ok thanks guys, if I get the 295 head for the price the guy is requesting I'll just pop it on standard and a mg metro cam in, as it may take a little while to sell the car I will drive it as a daily so it'll be nice to have a bit of poke

Thank you for your information and advice

Jack Jones

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

Has the 295 head been skimmed to suit a 998 non cooper car? If not, a) i'd be tempted to make a couple of quid on it selling on fir turbo use, and b) it will need skimming to get the CR correct.

I ran an 1100 years ago with a 295 head and mg cam as that is what i had kicking about. With a stage 1 kit, it was a great performer for the low outlay. As the others have said though, don't get carried away on a build you may not see the return on

just_jack

545 Posts
Post Whore

peterborough

The head is untouched but will definitely need a skim, not sure if a light enough skim though to maintain the larger combustion chambers for FI.
If it will still be safe then like you say Rob I may just cash in in the 295 and fit a slightly tweaked 202.
Hopefully I will get a metro cam off mike and it will be pokey if the 295 can not be saved for turbo use, but I will definitely not get carried away I've already put too much money into my other mini and engine to start getting carried away on this one as well... My missus would chop my bits off

Has anybody fitted a 202 on a 998 with a better than standard cam and got fair results?

Jack Jones

just_jack

545 Posts
Post Whore

peterborough

Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd ask here as it's related to the same engine build, hopefully all you wizards of A-Series see it....

So I have managed to source and G295 head locally that will need a skim. I should also be getting a cam off mikerace.

I was wondering what would be I best CR? I have read that 10.5:1 works well, does this seem right or is more or less advisable?

Also the head is totally unmolested, is there some sort of formula to work how much I should arrange to have taken off the head or is does anybody know exactly how much should be taken off to give it the recommended CR?

Again thank you in advance

Jack Jones

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

If it is unmolested, I'm sure you'd be able to swap it with someone that has a skimmed one.

The big chambers make it ideal for boosted cars.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

just_jack

545 Posts
Post Whore

peterborough

I don't think I'll get one quick enough to get the engine in and running in as good condition for mitp

Jack Jones

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

As everyone else has said, I would leave the head alone and sell on, as theyre becoming scarce now. You'll probably make a few quid on selling that and getting a skimmed one tbh.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

Shauna

1043 Posts
Member #: 10424
Post Whore

Swansea boyo!

You've got a PM

They don't die, they just get faster!

just_jack

545 Posts
Post Whore

peterborough

Replied

Jack Jones

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

FYI.
I've just built a full race 998/295head, and used a 286. In my opinion, the most camshaft that should be used in a 998head/998 without going steel internals.

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

just_jack

545 Posts
Post Whore

peterborough

Vegard, did you you the standard or scatter profile?
Also what compression are you running?

Jack Jones

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

Straight 286. CR was 11:1. NO power below 4000rpm. Good power from thereon out. The 295 is the limiting factor.

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

just_jack

545 Posts
Post Whore

peterborough

I take it all your internals are featherweight?

Also do you think 11:1 is too much for a MG Metro cam or is the cam not really compression dependant?

Thank you again vegard, I really appreciate your help

Jack Jones

Home > 998cc > NA 998
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: