Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > fascinating engine.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

Also, if i were building it i'd have a seperate crank for the inlet and exhaust, so timing could be played with, also simplify machining as a regular crank would do rather than something with fancy offset journals.

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

and angle the top pistons so the airflow path was smoother.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Interesting concept (Denis' one) to apply piston valves to a four stroke IC engine but piston valves themselves have been used for centuries on things as mundane as a steam locomotive.
Generally using a single piston valve to deal with inlet and exhaust ports (there are actually usually two piston valves but only because the main cylinder/piston is double acting on a steam engine) and with variable valve timing....

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

i was thinking about this all last night. conventional engines can get >100%ve by keeping port velocity up and all the usual tuning tricks. I wondfer if it may actually hurt having the ability to have a humungous intake and exhaust CSA, as gas speed would be low... better for turbocharging?

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

yes I think it would hurt denis , but the size of the the valve pistons could be made a lot smaller than the power piston and so reduce the scale of the tracts ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Cooper1999

209 Posts
Member #: 6451

South East Northumberland

On 27th Jul, 2014 evolotion said:
i know the deltic engine, but the engine im thinking of is a 4 stroke. im going to have to find the damn thing now! incidently i stumbled on a video on youtube about a year old where a collectors deltic was brought into service to haul freight for a while. love the sound of them.

At the risk of going off topic for a second, the engine was hired out from the railway museum in York and was used to haul freight around the Blyth/Cambois area (there was a short piece in the local free paper about it a couple of years ago) when there was a shortage of available engines.
As it happens I was kayaking with my eldest on the river Wansbeck at the time, heard the distinctive sound as the engine powered on as it crossed the black bridge - wonderful sound. Can't explain it, but it reminded me of an air-cooled 911 (sort of!). Kind of a powerful, refined but not-quite-the-norm kind of sound.
Great to see/hear it though, and the best kind of example of keeping engineering heritage in the consciousness. Now... when is Mallard/Flying Scotsman going to be called back onto the East Coast main line?

Now - back to unusual engines...

Home > General Chat > fascinating engine.
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: