Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Radius arm stub axle/castle nut thread size r/h thread.

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

So my old stub axle was knackered, so replaced it with a new r/h threaded one and bought a new washer and nut to fit. Threaded the nut on a little by hand, and it was a smidge tight a bit like front driveshaft nuts, so I preceded to get the ratchet out with light pressure and it stopped not far up the thread, undid the nut and after taking it off it's chewed up either the nut or the axle or both I can't tell. But as it's only the end past the split pin hole I'm going to try and get hold of a die on the axle to clean it up and try to retap the nut because it looks like it would be ok to reuse. Pretty pissed off because it's all brand new parts and I've been very careful not to damage the stub axle on fitting. So does anyone know the thread size or even better a tap and die the correct size i could borrow?

Thanks in advance, a very pissed off Carl.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

fastcarl

6962 Posts
Member #: 507
Fastest A Series Mini in the World

leeds/wakefield.

5/8unf

WWW.FORCE-RACING.CO.UK PLEASE CLICK HERE

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

Thanks carl, put my tpi gauge on and it looks like 5/8" unf 18tpi is what I'm after. Now to try and borrow a tap and die before I have to part with cash for a one time use.

ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

wolfie29177

133 Posts
Member #: 476
Advanced Member

The Black Countraaaaay

was it from minispares by any chance? I had 1 from there and they must have drilled the split pin holes after threading it as the castle nut wouldn't go past until I got a mate to rethread it due to the drilling of the holes causing dodgy thread in the area

Masturbation is not a crime its a hobby

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

Yeah it was mate, both stub and castle nut were from spares, I'm not very happy about it especially as the stub axles are quite expensive for what they are....

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Send them back.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

I would if the stub axle wasn't in my radius arm! I'm gonna repair the stub axle as that's easily saveable, if the nut is fubard im gonna take it back and find an old genuine one, The finish on the castle nut is crap tbh and it makes me think its that at fault.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Radius arm stub axle/castle nut thread size r/h thread.
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: