Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > Wheels: GB alloys, Minilifes or Rosepetals

dazibee

553 Posts
Member #: 1356
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

Ok this is my car with 6x10 GB alloys now with a032s. Group two arches. Ive never been very good at fitting the chrome trim without getting it all kinked and twisted near where the arches meet the sill.

[/URL]

So, looking for a change I fancy either 4.5 x10 minispares minilifes or minispares 4.75 x 10 rose petals and keeping the a032's.

[/URL]

So..... What can i expect when going from 6x10 to 4.5 x10?
Track will be narrower, I'm wondering if i can expect less torque steer, lighter steering etc?? Will i have less grip?

When it is back together it will hopefully have about 180 bananas, quaife Atb

Tupers

324 Posts
Member #: 9441

South Devon

The steering might be slightly lighter but if you're running and same sized tyres I doubt you would recognise any great difference.

When you come to fitting chrome trim put one coil in a bucket and pour a couple kettles worth of boiling water over it an leave it long enough for you to put you hand in. Once it's good a hot start at the back and knock it onto the seam with the palm of you hard. If it gets stiff pour more water from the bucket over the trim as you go.

I've done 5 cars using this method this year.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

I'm a fan of gb's

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

Mike-998

882 Posts
Member #: 9774
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I can't comment on anything useful, but your car looks fantastic.

As for the question I'd stick with what you have, but always like the rosepetal and no arch look.

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...tid=469104&fr=0

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

On 27th Aug, 2014 Tupers said:
The steering might be slightly lighter but if you're running and same sized tyres I doubt you would recognise any great difference.

When you come to fitting chrome trim put one coil in a bucket and pour a couple kettles worth of boiling water over it an leave it long enough for you to put you hand in. Once it's good a hot start at the back and knock it onto the seam with the palm of you hard. If it gets stiff pour more water from the bucket over the trim as you go.

I've done 5 cars using this method this year.

^^ What he says; works a treat!

Dazed and Confused....

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

U defo wont lose grip.. ive got 4.5 on my white one.. but after along time i wanted a mini on 10s and no arches n now i have one im not so sure :/ i prefer the look of yours.. unless the mini on 10s is stulidly low i dont like the look of it without arches

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

MarkGTT

3249 Posts
Member #: 1194
Post Whore

Shropshire.

GB's and group2's are perfect imo

Where did you get the group2 arches from - they can differ so much.

Edited by MarkGTT on 27th Aug, 2014.

alaskanow0

1434 Posts
Member #: 8466
Post Whore

Mansfield

GB's all the way.

Class C 3rd Place Avon 2011 14.18 @101mph

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

those are some tidy minis !

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

Cant remember where the arches came from, it was ages ago. I'm torn as i like all three wheels. I reckon there would be less torque steer with the narrower wheels with less offset.

ministar

107 Posts
Member #: 10760
Advanced Member

Derby

Love GB's. Got some on mine so a bit biased but always fancied a mk1 that you can put rosepetals on!

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Looks cracking as it is!

Maybe silly but, how's your wheel alignment/corner weight? Can play havoc with torque steer.

Aubrey_Boy

690 Posts
Member #: 9962
Post Whore

Based purely on how your car looks its already really nice as it is, colour, wheels and tyres

As far as how it feels and handles

165/70 R10 has a recommended fitted rim width of 4.5 - 5.5J from most tyre manufacturers

So fitting a 4.75 x 10 Rose Petal from Minispares would probably make little difference to what you have in terms of how the tyre fits on the rim, the 4.75 being nearer to the recommended fitment nominal. So grip (pure traction) would be unchanged if anything a tiny bit better than being slightly pulled out on a 6J - but probably unnoticeable.

The Rosepetal (C-21A1071) has a quoted offset of ET40, whilst I don't know the GB offset, looking at the 'dish' of the GB I'd say there's at least a 20mm difference possibly more.

In terms of how the ET offset effects hub level lateral offset and torque steer the Rosepetal would be night and day better as 20mm plus is a BIG difference on ET and the effect it has. (Bear in mind that any current problem you have may not be solely due to the wheels / offset). IME everything else being equal, greater positive ET is always beneficial in terms of less 'steering corruption' - torque steer etc...

As you say the track would be narrower so ultimately maybe a little less in terms of maximum cornering grip potential / ability. The steering weight should be a little less with less hub level offset.

For me the Rosepetal is lighter, much better offset and the look of an archless 'App K' style car wins for me. The only downside is the Rosepetal is a little fussy on caliper clearance. Every mm spacer (if you need to add any) undoes the offset benefit 5mm spacer = effective ET35 offset. But I know plenty of Historic Race cars that run these exact wheels without spacers but needed mods to bleed nipple position

Cheers

Edited by Aubrey_Boy on 29th Aug, 2014.

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

On 29th Aug, 2014 Aubrey_Boy said:
Based purely on how your car looks its already really nice as it is, colour, wheels and tyres

As far as how it feels and handles

165/70 R10 has a recommended fitted rim width of 4.5 - 5.5J from most tyre manufacturers

So fitting a 4.75 x 10 Rose Petal from Minispares would probably make little difference to what you have in terms of how the tyre fits on the rim, the 4.75 being nearer to the recommended fitment nominal. So grip (pure traction) would be unchanged if anything a tiny bit better than being slightly pulled out on a 6J - but probably unnoticeable.

The Rosepetal (C-21A1071) has a quoted offset of ET40, whilst I don't know the GB offset, looking at the 'dish' of the GB I'd say there's at least a 20mm difference possibly more.

In terms of how the ET offset effects hub level lateral offset and torque steer the Rosepetal would be night and day better as 20mm plus is a BIG difference on ET and the effect it has. (Bear in mind that any current problem you have may not be solely due to the wheels / offset). IME everything else being equal, greater positive ET is always beneficial in terms of less 'steering corruption' - torque steer etc...

As you say the track would be narrower so ultimately maybe a little less in terms of maximum cornering grip potential / ability. The steering weight should be a little less with less hub level offset.

For me the Rosepetal is lighter, much better offset and the look of an archless 'App K' style car wins for me. The only downside is the Rosepetal is a little fussy on caliper clearance. Every mm spacer (if you need to add any) undoes the offset benefit 5mm spacer = effective ET35 offset. But I know plenty of Historic Race cars that run these exact wheels without spacers but needed mods to bleed nipple position

Cheers

Thanks. What you say makes perfect sense and was what i suspected.
I don't yet have a torque steer problem, when i start my new engine we will see, but i think less offset will help keep it to a minimum along with the rest of the suspension set up being cock on.

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

Thanks for the positive comments about how it looks

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

Just bought 5 minispares rosepetals on sale. 15% off. Arches off already. Holes filled in. Will put some pics on my build thread soon

Edited by dazibee on 21st Nov, 2014.

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium

i would have gone for steel wheels ( reverse one's with crome hub)

you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

I like them too. So many choices

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

Rosepetals are a good choice

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Same angle photo with before and after would be great to see.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Jeff R

56 Posts
Member #: 5200
Advanced Member

Bath, Somerset

I'd be keen on the GBs if you decide to sell.

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

I will be looking to sell the gb's at some point. Got five, one unused, rest very good. Cant be arsed posting them, so thought they may suit someone who is in cornwall for the riveara run in may

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

Lovely mini. What brakes are you running? We want rose petals on one of our minis but hear d they may be a tighter fit than other 10" wheels depending on callipers /disks?

ministar

107 Posts
Member #: 10760
Advanced Member

Derby

Lets see some photos of the rosepetals!

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

On 22nd Nov, 2014 PhilR said:
Lovely mini. What brakes are you running? We want rose petals on one of our minis but hear d they may be a tighter fit than other 10" wheels depending on callipers /disks?

S disks and minispares grey four pot calipers

Home > General Chat > Wheels: GB alloys, Minilifes or Rosepetals
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: