Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > Finally consolodated all my drills and taps into one place... Why and how have I got 30+ 1/4-20 taps lol

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

So, first the drill bits...

I had a few of the common drill indexes around, two basically full and with duplicates scattered in and around the indexes, and assorted jars, tins, and other drawers containing all the other odd duplicated drills. Basically, a real clusterf#@%...

I got two of these at an auction of a closed machine shop a few weeks ago, and realised it was the answer to my prayers!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361033091382
So I bought another one to cover "imperial" drills (fraction, number, and letter). I haven't got a metric set yet and it looks like there are only one or two metric drills that I'd use that don't transpose to a few thou of imperial, so these "odd men out" might end up living in a jar next to the other three index drawers lol...

Upshot, it that EVERY (non-taper shank) drill bit I have is now in one location, all organised, and every drawer (except for the smaller "number" sized) has anything from a couple to dozens of drill bits, of the same size in each section. The only thing that I have had to do is put a cheapo digi caliper next to the drawers to make sure the right one goes back into the same place..

Yesterday evening, I'm working on a little job, rummaging through my three (seperate) collections of taps looking for an illusive 5/16-24 and decide to do the same organising as per the drills, but just using one of those cheap-plastic organiser drawer things (which is seriously operating outside its design limits right now lol).

Amazingly, I have over 35 1/4-20 taps, more than 25 of 5/16-18 and over 20 3/8-16 taps!

In fine-pitch, I've got between 10 and 15 of each size.... It is odd that i have fewer fine pitch, but still amazing I've amassed such a collection over the years, and was struggling to find a single one yesterday...

I even found some weird sizes like 13/16-10 and 1/2-12... And have least one each of all the larger sizes up to 1" with the exception of 7/8-14 (yeah, that super-common size)... Also found a total of three of the mini crank taps, and a box of BSW taps that I picked up 15 or so years ago at the big car boot sale they used to have next to Avon Park - I don't think I've ever used any LOL

So, perhaps not such an amazing feat, and sadly I wasn't even working on a mini to need the 5/16, but I feel a million times better now knowing what I have and where it is... And they are all in the one place!!!

*Clapping*

So, if you feel a little overwhelmed with your drills and taps, I totally recommend ditching the "single hole" index, and using a drawer-type dispenser, it makes thing soooo much better. I should have done this 15 years ago LOL

Finally, anyone want any taps lol?

Edited by TurboDave16V on 1st Sep, 2014.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

Yes please I could do with some as mine are crap lol.

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

Yes please I could do with some as mine are crap lol.

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

oli79

1713 Posts
Member #: 8480
MS Paint flat cap champion & Morris Ital Lover

From Sheffield now live in York tha noz

You can say that again!

On 18th Oct, 2013 apbellamy said:
I am feeling particularly BACish today.

On 5th Oct, 2014 Shauna said:
What that's crazy, you go commando hahaha! How heavy is your helmet *tongue*?

The Morris Ital assassin!

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

Dave, I think you should turn safe search off, do a google images search for "soapy tits" and go and have a wank, you obviously have too much time on your hands.

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

Lol!

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Lol Jim you cunt...
All I know is next time I need a Q drill, it's right there...
You are off my tap donation list as well lol

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Home > General Chat > Finally consolodated all my drills and taps into one place... Why and how have I got 30+ 1/4-20 taps lol
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: