Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Head Gasket failure...

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Hi Robert I will check the map, it was the copper plate leaking at no1 underneath. Last time I did retorque after it got hot and cooled. Loads of stuff I have read on the yank sites, where they just use a solid gasket on the v8 with loads of nitrous says not to re torque? This time I'm going to leave it.

Hi Paul I can log on the software but I can't log in inner and outers as I only have one plug for the O2 and I don't know if the ecu can log two.
I can use my laptop via the tech edge software to use my stand alone sensor as a pipe sniffer. But matching the data after the event would be difficult.

Got to go and get some antifreeze so I can see if the car will start!

Then off to Colin's tomorrow, who has kindly offered to have a butchers at the map. #roadtuning :)

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

okey dokey... Our very own Colin popped over today and he mad a load of calculated changes to the idle and cruse sections of the map.
the car now picked up much better at low throttle from cruse.

We also did a couple of WOT tests and the car pulls hard to 7K, on gear change you can't then plant your foot, without it leaning out and pinking we think the transition is too quick for the injection to catchup as the charger is still pulling too hard and air. Maybe the carb is better here as it would pull fuel with the throttle closed so when you reopened the throttle it would still be rich.

A smooth transition of the throttle helps

Overall the ECU is very clunky in terms of functions and very hard to use, plus find out what is adjusting what.

Anyway a big thanks to Colin..

Combe or BOOM! :)

Graham

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

It still needs some work, but it is better than it was.

I the acceleration enrichment needs more attention. As Graham says, on a hard acceleration gear change there just isnt enough fuel going in on tip in. Not sure at this point what is happening, but possibly the charger is sucking the manifolds dry requiring that bit much more fuel than all other times. It is difficult to pinpoint the issue with what looks to be a rather simplistic tuning software that, for the sake of simplicity, is overly complicated lol, if that makes sense. It is certainly not user freindly in comparison.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

the other thing I will say is there seemed to be a few base values that are different from the downloadable maps from SC, even where you wouldn't expect them to be..

The instructions on some of the functions are poor in my opinion, but I guess you are surpassed to go to Sc for tuning.

on the plus side you have everything you need to inject a car in a box, I'm starting to feel its more like a starter set that you then want to upgrade to get hold of some different features.
The most annoying thing is there isn't a screen that shows you the build up of the different tables to get to the end result. SO you don't always know what is effecting the end result, which means its hard to track down any issues. So your base table might show 20 deg advance but the final advance is 2 deg but it doesn't show you what tables are getting you to the final spark advance. This takes you loads longer to find out whats going on...
anyway we deco have a step forward. Will this mean the head gasket is more reliable only time will tell..

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Ok after the mapping session with Colin yesterday I had marked the water injection bottle. I checked it tonight and nothing had been used. So I pulled the nozzle and checked in a jar whilst the wife manually hit the switch and nothing, nada, f-all. The bloody jet was blocked.

So I tested my spare .35 and stuck that bad boy in.

I have ordered a new .70 and hopefully I can get the bad boy to fit my existing holder as the company I previously used and gone bust by the looks of it.

Interested if anyone has every pulled a nozzle apart to what they found? Mine looks a little strange in fact I'm not sure how it would have ever worked.... Maybe it hasn't

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

oooof ,,,maybe the cause of your chernobylness nosity ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Maybe, we originally tested on the .35 jet, I never actually saw the .70 work out side of the car. We stuck it in to see if it bogged down if we upped the jet size.

Most of the calcs I could find last night were saying to use a .35 anyways with my injectors with a 50/50 mix and aiming for 17% for high temp applications....

I need to get an AIT in the inlet manifold.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 21st Sep, 2014 Sprocket said:
It still needs some work, but it is better than it was.

I the acceleration enrichment needs more attention. As Graham says, on a hard acceleration gear change there just isnt enough fuel going in on tip in. Not sure at this point what is happening, but possibly the charger is sucking the manifolds dry requiring that bit much more fuel than all other times. It is difficult to pinpoint the issue with what looks to be a rather simplistic tuning software that, for the sake of simplicity, is overly complicated lol, if that makes sense. It is certainly not user freindly in comparison.

Doesn't the SC code have any "suck from" / "adhere to" walls code for AE ???

I haven't seen the SC software and I take both your points about understanding it (user friendlyness) but, to be fair, that's the same with every software, we all get used to what we know.

The MS2 code has all the "walls" code, I don't use it as my injectors are as close to the inlet valves as they could be but, if the SC code covers this, it might be worth looking at ???

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

I had a fuck about with the SC ECU in Andys gaycharged car, yes I was able to improve it but I agree with Col that I didn't like the software, but it isn't just down to being used to it.
I've used DTA and Emeralds software quite a lot and even though both are different, neither are awkward.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

The tip-in problem is more to do with the dynamics of pressure and flow change at the valve and the injectors being a long way behind.

Not a lot you can do about it..... unless you go for port injection *smiley*

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Well the WI is working.. you can really feel it pull when it kicks in..

nothing I can do now except wash it before combe.

and then fingers crossed.

I tried logging tonight and that function is shite too... It doesn't always save into an off line file ad you cant drag the timeline about..

All very 90's

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I deffo think that the acceleration enrichment can be improved, but it is difficult to determine whats needed where when I don't understand the datalogging function, it might just be overly simplistic. I like to see lots of traces from all the important data points. Its easy to pinpoint and adjust the tune stationary, its rather difficult chasing a dot arround a screen thats moving up down left right by an inch at a frequency of the great british roads lol

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

If it is hesitating after a gear change, you may wish to try putting in more fuel on the overun.

Sharply backing off the throttle at high revs will send MAP to a very low value into parts of the map where you rarely bother to tune. A bit more fuel in the bottom right may carry it through the gear-change better.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 23rd Sep, 2014 Paul S said:
A bit more fuel in the bottom right may carry it through the gear-change better.

It's arse over tit on this set up Paul, the bottom of the map is at the top lol.

I put a load more fuel in already, but like everything you need time, and we ran out of that on Sunday. I hope it all comes together for you to get this weekend out the way, and then we can collectively sort out the finer tune when we address some of the user/ interfacing compatabilities lol

stevieturbo

3575 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Dumping in lots of fuel on the over-run, or having large amounts of accel enrichment at higher rpm's can easily cause bogging in.

Most engines Ive worked on need almost no accel enrichment at high rpm's

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Its lean on tip in only in certain conditions. You don't need the wideband to tell you that when you know how an engine responds to lean and rich conditions. Reading the wideband alone will get you lost especially on rich missfire.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

well I got a replacement .70 WI nozzle... the only problem is its much larger than my old one... so much so it turned the engine into a washing machine.

So I the .35 is back in and the water cleared out. leaving tomorrow for combe..

I guess we will see if it makes it...

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

ok so we got to Combe and back... If I'm a betting man then when I put the block tester on the car tomorrow it will show exhaust gases in the coolant... but we will see.....

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Ah but again you got home in one peice. The head gasket is a consumable *wink*

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

ok the gasket has gone again. I have checked it with a block tester today and the fluid changed colour.

So I'm a little confused. I lost my old build thread on my local club forum however, I did have a look over my photo-bucket and the head gasket went last time I went to Combe.
Now this was on the old engine, but the head is the same, originally I thought this sealing issue was because the block was built in 1969 so might not be straight.

When I built the new engine I had the new block and the head faced off. I have the pics below of the last head gasket failure, this was without a decom plate because, I had dished pistons. The old engine was also running a carb when this gasket went..

This is what made me change to ARP bolts, try a new torque wrench, and have the surfaces machined.

So maybe soothing else is join on? it looks like its gone in the same place. today when I was testing the new engine there was oil on the front ledge of the block and it was blowing little bubbles near no1. I need to have some ideas to try and sort this winter...

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Has the head been crack tested?

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Get your torque wrench tested. Even new ones can be a long way out.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Andy, I asked the machine shop to test it when they faced it, but it is the only thing that is the same.

Pauls- a good idea

I was thinking of going to a 940 with bigger chambers so that I can loose the decom plate and run 9 stud. But I need to work out what needs blocking up on the block.

Maybe the boost is too much.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

detonating ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

If you look through water holes, how thick is the head surface? Is it possible that its been skimmed so much, the head just isn't rigid enough now?

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Head Gasket failure...
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: