Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Show us your Breather setup

Dutchy1978

73 Posts
Member #: 10315
Advanced Member

So I removed the breather on the timing chain cover when I added the supercharger and mounted it to the mechanical fuel pump location. Both this breather and the clutch housing breather run into a catch can which has created some problems with oil flowing back into the clutch housing and onto the clutch.
Aa slipping clutch is not suitable.

Can you all post images of your breather set ups with a brief explanation on how it works.
The more the better.

Cheers,
Dutchy

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

Oil can not get to the clutch from that breather , so something else is up with that.

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

As si says, the breather comes from the other side of the housing, I would probably be looking at your clutch oil seal.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

sounds like a primary gear leak as the transfer case breathes into the drop gear bit right up top

most guys run about a 3/4 - 1 inch hose from the rocker cover to a catch can then vent that out

my self im using the transfer port with a custom bit that will be the turbo drain and a breather that is mostly just it insure the turbo never get crank case pressure of any kind the main breather will be in the rocker cover and timing chain cover both will be substantial sizes vented to air via filters

Dutchy1978

73 Posts
Advanced Member

After googling I can see what you mean Madmk1. I didn't realise the breather drains back into the block. Obviously the clutch seal has packed it in again. It was only replaced about 800kms ago. I will have to strip it down and have closer look. While doing so I will re model my breather set up. I will remove the one from the lower block and add one to the rocker cover.
Question: do any of the breather outlets need a mesh of some sort to stop majority of oil coming out? I noticed the factory breather cans have steel wool inside them.

Dutchy1978

73 Posts
Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't had my engine apart from the head down so didn't know where the breathers went. When I hanged the clutch I didn't even look at it.

Edited by Dutchy1978 on 30th Sep, 2014.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Show us your Breather setup
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: