Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > FPR postion on EFi

alaskanow0

1434 Posts
Member #: 8466
Post Whore

Mansfield

Can I install my 3.5 bar fuel pressure regulator at the rear of the car next to the fuel pump and just run 1 fuel line to the fuel rail. This will be Naturally aspirated so no pressure signal will be required and the other end of the rail will just be capped off.

I'm trying to save weight and cost of fancy hose & fittings.

I was thinking AN6 (8mm ID) from the pump.

Any body ran Teflon fuel lines inside the car?

Class C 3rd Place Avon 2011 14.18 @101mph

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

You still need the manifold pressure reference even on an N/A engine. You may not have boost but you have vacuum so you need the reduced fuel pressure at low load.

http://www.jbperf.com/

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

This is how modern audis do it ( done a search maybe not all, but the a4 quattro for sure ), they run 4bar with no fuel rail return not sure if its vac referenced or not

edit: no it cant be vac referenced other wise it wouldnt be a straight 4 bar lol *happy*

Edited by Brett on 18th Sep, 2014.

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 18th Sep, 2014 alaskanow0 said:
Can I install my 3.5 bar fuel pressure regulator at the rear of the car next to the fuel pump and just run 1 fuel line to the fuel rail. This will be Naturally aspirated so no pressure signal will be required and the other end of the rail will just be capped off.

I'm trying to save weight and cost of fancy hose & fittings.

I was thinking AN6 (8mm ID) from the pump.

Any body ran Teflon fuel lines inside the car?

Yes you can. Regulator at the rear/in tank is fairly common on modern cars these days. But you'll still need to do the flow/return thing, just at the back of the car as opposed to the front.

You are correct, the pressure signal is not required. OEM setups that run this type of configuration tend to run a higher fixed pressure too, 50-60psi is fairly normal.
Not essential though.

AN6 will easily support any amount of power an A-Series would ever make, even in a dead end configuration.

Teflon is recommended ( or hardline ) for lines that run inside the cabin.

Do not use rubber etc inside the cabin

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

alaskanow0

1434 Posts
Post Whore

Mansfield

Thanks guys. I ran this setup prevously without the vacum reference with no problems just reg was in engine bay. Cool I'll crack on then.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Yes, OEM do this and yes you can also do this. But you have to understand why they do it and what potential problems you'll need to overcome.

Non-referenced regulation is not ideal and a long line of non-returned fuel adds more potential issues due to heat in the fuel and potential vapor lock.

But if you think that the compromises are worth it, then go ahead. Just be aware that you are using a compromise not just a different setup.

alaskanow0

1434 Posts
Post Whore

Mansfield

So what kind of things will be comprised?

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Shorter pulses at low load/RPM due to the non-referenced regulator and more and inconsistent heat in the fuel due to the non-recirculating long line.

How bad these are will depend on your setup and what you do to minimize the issues. But what helps for one thing might go against the other one (like upping the pressure to avoid vapor lock).

alaskanow0

1434 Posts
Post Whore

Mansfield

The problem with MAP reference, is I'm running ITB's, so the signal is quite unstable, and effects AFR when connected.

I'm not planning on using a MAP sensor, just TPS. This is for a track / drag car, so shouldn't be a problem.

What is vapour Lock?

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On an OEM setup without any MAP reference to the regulator, the ECU usually still reads MAP so can vary the pulse width for the non-constant pressure across the injectors.

Also, higher pressures mean the percentage difference the injectors see between closed and WOT is less.

But if you are mappng to TPS anyway, I don't think getting the fuelling right should be too hard.

Vapour lock is when part of the fuel turns to vapour and stagnates in a section of the pipe effectively causing at worst a restriction or usually uneven flow.
A good anology is a bad plumbing in older hotels where you turn the hot tap on and get lots of gurgling and spitting water before it flows freely.
Roller vane pumps, by their nature, produce some vapour (one function of a swirl pot is to remove it), but more common is routing of the pipe near hot exhaust/manifold and if the pipe goes uphill, then downhill on its route, the vapour will tend to collect at the high spot.
On a "conventional" setup it is far less likely to interfere with flow because the flow rate is much higher so it is swept past the injectors and straight back to the tank but on a dead ended setup, if you get it, it has to go out through the injectors which might delay hot starting, a bit like the SU float chamber evaporating away and having to be re-filled.

EDIT - typo

Edited by Rod S on 19th Sep, 2014.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 18th Sep, 2014 jbelanger said:
Yes, OEM do this and yes you can also do this. But you have to understand why they do it and what potential problems you'll need to overcome.

Non-referenced regulation is not ideal and a long line of non-returned fuel adds more potential issues due to heat in the fuel and potential vapor lock.

But if you think that the compromises are worth it, then go ahead. Just be aware that you are using a compromise not just a different setup.

Actually when running, a return style setup will run hotter fuel into the engine than a dead end. The only time the fuel will heat up in a dead end, is when you've stopped.
This hot fuel will soon be gone once the engine is started though.

Most of the heat in the fuel comes from circulating through hot rails at the engine, plus a little from the pump itself. So running a dead end will result in cooler fuel being injected almost all of the time.

I know of some guys pushing 4 figures with dead end setups. I wouldnt do it myself, but I suspect a mini engine isnt really going to require that sort of fuel demand, so 100-200hp or so with a large -6 line...in terms of fuel flow, there is no compromise.

And as for hot starts etc, I assume he will be using a programmable ecu, so most ecu's allow a large first injector firing to expel any air in the rails if need be.

And as for vac reference, really doesnt matter one bit as far as tuning goes as you'd be tuning with the fixed rail pressure which will be perfectly consistent anyway.

IMO there arent as many negatives as some might have you believe.

But for same of a few feet of hose ? I'd always prefer to run a return line and mount the FPR either local to or after the rails

That said...for handiness on my own V8 with dual injectors, I run one pair of rails dead end and the other full flow. Saved a big mess of hoses under the bonnet. Been like that for several years with never a problem.
Until last year the injectors were staged, so my primaries were the dead end ones. Never any vapor lock, hot or cold start problems.

The FPR is local to the engine though.

After an ecu change this year, I just fire both injectors together instead.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

If this is a track car then I don't think that there will be a problem. You will have to compensate for the variable differential pressure across the injector in the VE or pulse width table in the ECU.

However, therein lies a potential issue. For example, if the ECU thinks that a certain pulse width delivers a particular amount of fuel and uses that assumption in other features, such as Acceleration Enrichment, then you could run into problems.

I would always run the FPR close to the engine in a road car. Also consult your ECU documentation.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 19th Sep, 2014 stevieturbo said:

And as for vac reference, really doesnt matter one bit as far as tuning goes as you'd be tuning with the fixed rail pressure which will be perfectly consistent anyway.

Of course you tune with the fixed rail pressure and it will be consistent. But if you have largish injectors and good vacuum at idle, you will have very short pulses at idle. And if you don't know your exact injector dead time or have an ECU which can't compensate for non-linearity then you're going to have fun trying to tune around it. Voltage compensation and transitions might also be issues.

As for having long initial pulses to clear out any air/vapor, that's nice if it does compensate exactly for all heat soaked and cool starting situation but that's definitely more of an issue on a dead end setup.

My point was that using such a setup might be a non-issue and might even have some advantages. But you have to be aware of the potential issues and see if you want to deal with them. A vac referenced and circulating setup may have issues but should be more benign and easier to deal with.

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

For years ecu's never had any injector dead time info and it never posed a problem. It's a more recent thing.

And given you would normally have a very stable voltage anyway...injector dead times for varying voltages....really that important ?

I dont see it.

If you are having wild voltage swings you need to resolve that long before worrying about injectors.

I dont see there really being any issues of great concern.

I dont see any real advantages of doing it this way either mind you...it's just another length of hose after all.

Edited by stevieturbo on 19th Sep, 2014.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Home > Technical Chat > FPR postion on EFi
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: