Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > A Series simulation thread.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

valvetrain really has less losses than the crank? even taking into account the valve-train operates at half speed seems counter intuitive! v.interesting.

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Sir Yun

510 Posts
Member #: 1592
Smart Guy!

mainland europe near ze germans

The model is based on Patton et al. (1989) and the improved version of Fmep by Sandoval and Heywood (2003)

SAE papers are quite expensive when you don't have access via a library but the relevant content is described here as well for a improved model:

http://umpir.ump.edu.my/3984/1/P176.pdf

Edited by Sir Yun on 30th Oct, 2014.

That sir, is not rust, it is the progressive mass reduction system

http://aseriesmodifications.wordpress.com/

robert

6744 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

doesn't that paper put train loss at 16% and crank at 9% joost ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Sir Yun

510 Posts
Smart Guy!

It does , but does not mention for which type of valve train. and is the newer friction model. That said I shall and see if I made a mistake in the Fmep inputs

Edited by Sir Yun on 30th Oct, 2014.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

This is the Sandoval & Heywood data for a 998:

This does not include pumping losses as they are calculated within the simulation.

Other optional methods of calculating friction are available in my software and the highest values are about the same as yours but they are for a diesel engine.

Edited by Paul S on 31st Oct, 2014.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Sir Yun

510 Posts
Smart Guy!

this is the data as i use it.

Attachments:

Sir Yun

510 Posts
Smart Guy!

This is after working on the burn model (it now uses a turbulent entrainment model to get the values for the Vibe/Wiebe parameters once as otherwise the TE model just takes too long (>7 hours) to do a run . This is about a good as I'm going to get it for now. I did not tweak the model further to force it into shape as that is probably counter productive for the predictive capabilities.

I don't have dyno data for lower rpm's so at this point I can't really tell if the data lower down will correlate as well.

There are a few issues left.

The timing figures are based on my best guess of what you need for such a build.

This model assumes a constant AF ratio which with a Weber carb (well any carb) is unlikely at best.

I tried to model a reverse7 port head, so two siamese ports in but four proper exhausts out. It looks like the exhaust are quite material to the whole robbing thing, more so than the intakes ports being shared.

Must verify the results a bit though

Attachments:

Edited by Sir Yun on 12th May, 2015.

robert

6744 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

well done joost.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 4th Nov, 2014 Sir Yun said:

I tried to model a 6 port head, so two siamese ports in but four proper exhausts out. It looks like the exhaust are quite material to the whole robbing thing, more so than the intakes ports being shared.

The exhaust are significant because the outer cylinder exhaust valve is still open when the outer inlet opens and steals the air from the inner cylinder as its inlet valve is just closing. If you get the pulses wrong then it can have a significant impact. That's why an LCB is always first on the list of mods an a NA engine (as an LCB style manifold should also be on a turbo engine, but that's often overlooked in favour of cylinder head mods etc.).

I've just read some of your blog. I've never seen higher power output from the inner cylinders as you have.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Sir Yun

510 Posts
Smart Guy!

it only seems to do that in very specific situations. and I initially made an error in the direction of the flow so the CSA increased the wrong way round . That is all fixed.It still does it a bit though.

The volume of the siamese sections seem to have something to do with it

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I also noticed from your blog that you are treating the junction of the siamese ports within the head as a "plenum".

I don't think that is correct as it is clearly a well radiused joining of the ports. Treating it as a low volume plenum could cause changes to the pulses.

Sir Yun

510 Posts
Smart Guy!

No/Yes it is treated as a three way joint just like in a collector. however The CSA's and angles are taken from casts I made from a head so it does have the xtra volume as well

if you look at the cast the only circular proper ''port runner '' is the 30mm just before the valve.

plenums do change the pressure /wave behaviour . I discussed this with Neels but i'm unable to find in it the chaos that is my mailbox.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Apparently this paper is one of the best references on the subject of junctions:

http://papers.sae.org/1999-01-1186/

Sir Yun

510 Posts
Smart Guy!

I tried the size you mentioned for the manifold. so slightly smaller than what I had. Seems to work better.

Attachments:

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The LCB test is a very good indication that the model is working correctly.

I built an NA 998 model in the first instance, before adding a turbo etc. I built an LCB into the model using the dimensions given by Vizard in the yellow bible.

I then used the parametric optimiser feature of the software to test different lengths and diameters of the LCB. The dimensions given by Vizard could not be bettered in terms of area under the torque curve. I could send peak torque up and down the rev range a little, but not without reducing the peak value and peak Hp.

Given that Vizard probably took years to get those dimensions just goes to show how useful and valid these software tools are.

Sir Yun

510 Posts
Smart Guy!

I find it interesting that it mostly affects the inner cylinders. without software you have to to to in cylinder pressure sensors.

It used to be ridiculously expensive ( spend 100k no problem) but now you can get a setup you can just stick on you engine in car or on a dyno for 3-5 K from TFX.

still can't afford it but it is no longer into the pure fantasy range anymore. I'd wager a bet your program cost a lot more :)

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The software and pressure sensors serve two different purposes.

The software assists the designer in optimising the performance. The sensors verify the design.

You have to build the engine to use the sensors whereas with the software, you can build and test umpteen engines without cutting any metal.

adcyork

539 Posts
Member #: 6807
Post Whore

York

On 12th Nov, 2014 Paul S said:
The software and pressure sensors serve two different purposes.

The software assists the designer in optimising the performance. The sensors verify the design.

You have to build the engine to use the sensors whereas with the software, you can build and test umpteen engines without cutting any metal.

From a clean sheet of paper I agree but that is rare and certainly not the case here. Even then though, simulation work is used to get in the ball park of the design spec before the first prototype engine is manufactured and run on the rig.

A reverse engineering exercise such as what is going on here, with a current engine configuration requires the model to be correlated against cylinder pressure (and derived burn data) and pressures/temps from the relevant ducts. This allows the Wiebe model and other parameters to be tweaked to bring the model into a correlated state.

Simply correlating the power and torque curves by tweaking the model is highly inaccurate and only a small part of the picture. If this was the only goal then a number of engines could all well look very close to an A-series engine on paper

Edited by adcyork on 12th Nov, 2014.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 12th Nov, 2014 adcyork said:

Simply correlating the power and torque curves by tweaking the model is highly inaccurate and only a small part of the picture. If this was the only goal then a number of engines could all well look very close to an A-series engine on paper

I apply simulations to existing infrastructure every day. I earn a lot of money from it and my clients spend £millions based on the results of my simulations and predicted improvements.

My judgement is that using these software packages is a very worthwhile exercise to help decide which modifications will work best to improve the engine performance.

The final hp or torque values may not be that accurate (neither are the dynos we have available), but the relative gains from specific improvements has consistently been shown to be valid.

The 5 port A series is unique due to the siamese ports. Understanding how the siamese ports affects performance is key to the decision making on modifications. I doubt that there are many engines still out there getting this level of attention that look anything like the A Series in simulation terms.

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

On 12th Nov, 2014 Paul S said:

The 5 port A series is unique due to the siamese ports. Understanding how the siamese ports affects performance is key to the decision making on modifications. I doubt that there are many engines still out there getting this level of attention that look anything like the A Series in simulation terms.

Precisely, and so correlation of a model from torque and power figures alone is highly inaccurate. Like you say, the dyno's themselves are plagued with inaccuracies through frequent calibration requirement and mechanical variances, so this is why cylinder pressure data from kistler sensors with a high degree of accuracy, accompanied by pressure/temp traces is essential.

Without fast response pressure/temp traces from real world data, it is going to be highly iterative to create any form of valid model of these Siamese port structures.

For example I see that some discussion has focused around modelling the siamese junction as a plenum with three ducts by Sir Yun.

Without any cyl P/duct temp/duct pressure data, how exactly will this modelling philosophy be validated as the best practice?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

You have a point if you wish to apply OEM standards. The problem with model calibration is that it is disproportionately expensive to do and in the majority of real world cases, impractical.

I first posted this video about 4 years ago. Very much of what they say explains my approach:

http://www.worlddragracing.com/downloads/U...TBHP_F_800.html

Edited by Paul S on 13th Nov, 2014.

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

I agree model calibration is expensive and time consuming, when OEM standards of accuracy are required.

However in this case even a small amount of well captured data would suffice to provide a footing into the behaviour of these siamese ports to validate the modelling philosophy of the ports.

The moddelling methodology outlined in that video is inline with the typical initial design practice carried out in industry, which is as I understood you would be operating, with a view to reducing the required physical testing iterations.

But when the task of modelling the siamese ports is presented, then in my opinion no number of simulation iterations is going to give an accurate enough answer due to the lack of published theory and data on the matter.

Like you said, the last work conducted on an engine of this nature is now a long time ago, and almost certainly not simulation based so there is little to go on without capturing some data known to be reliable in my opinion.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Whilst it would be ideal to have some data to calibrate the models, particularly in respect of the siamese ports, we do have the option of using sensitivity testing to establish if the engine model responds to known improvements as would be expected. This then gives us the confidence that the model is sufficiently reliable to our needs.

After sectioning a head to establish the port dimensions, I'm more than happy to model the siamese ports as a simple junction.

I've already detailed the verification of the LCB. I've also ran extensive modelling of scatter cams that replicates Vizard's findings.

The most convincing model is the table top shape torque curve from the rolling road data of my original 998 turbo. This is due to siamese port specific issues that can be readily explained by examination of the pulse patterns on the centre exhaust port.

Anyway, I'll be putting my latest engines on a rolling road sometime next year. Let the numbers do the talking.

Earwax

109 Posts
Member #: 10368
Advanced Member

Australia

Paul S and Joost, keep the dialogue going. most of it goes well above my head, but the modelling/calibration against known to predict future change trends is seriously good. Paul S , without giving away secrets is the cam in your next build going to be single or scatter? And finally for scatter cams, i gather the more scatter the timing events/valve piston clearance becomes messy, will these models black flag options that cause metal against metal, .. eg scatter of 3 degrees all ok, scatter 5 degrees ERROR reduce lift or timing etc)

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 13th Nov, 2014 Earwax said:
Paul S , without giving away secrets is the cam in your next build going to be single or scatter? And finally for scatter cams, i gather the more scatter the timing events/valve piston clearance becomes messy, will these models black flag options that cause metal against metal, .. eg scatter of 3 degrees all ok, scatter 5 degrees ERROR reduce lift or timing etc)

My latest engine has a custom ground scatter cam. However, I sorted it before I started doing the simulations. There are benefits, but they are not significant.

The simulation will not pick up metal to metal contact. However, we are talking about very small changes to the LCA. Nothing that will cause a problem unless you are already running close clearances, which is rare on the A Series.

Home > Technical Chat > A Series simulation thread.
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: