Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > 1st motion bearing circlip 22g851

ERA1028

68 Posts
Member #: 9818
Advanced Member

Leeds

I have rebuilt a few gearboxes over the years and each time I have tried to find an oversize circlip 22G851 to no avail. When I have asked different suppliers, they tell me they have never had them. So nobody uses them. This doesn't change the fact that there can be a gap 0.098 to 0.100 at the bearing. I have had this size gap before and used the standard circlip as there is no other. I have always worried about this especially when I put a lot of effort into getting all the other clearances and preloads correct. Previous gear boxes have only been used on standard spec engines and bieing classics not used to cover great milage. I am building another box and this one is going to have to take more power.
Is the extra clearance taken out by the 3rd motion shaft bearing retainer shims?
Can someone tell me why it is not important to fit the oversize circlip?

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

http://www.leacyclassics.com/22g851.html

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Maybe they still have some if advertising them?

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

ERA1028

68 Posts
Advanced Member

Leeds

I will contact them and see. I ordered one from somerford a couple of years ago having been told by them they definitely had them only to be sent a standard size clip. They didn't seem to know that there was a difference when I complained.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Have you tried looking for a circlip/ snapring from an engineering supplier?

What is the OD of these, I have never measured it, but a quick look at circlips in general, mainly metric ones shows that they are 2.5mm thick from about 65mm OD upwards to about 90mm where they then go to 3.0mm thick. That should be enough to surface grind back to your desired size, all depending on the required OD of course

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Why not just cut some shims to match the face of the bearing. That way you can get the clearance perfect...

Edited by TurboDave16V on 17th Oct, 2014.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Considering the wear I have seen on these circlips, I would personally go to the bother of surface grinding one to size. But then thats me *happy*

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

ERA1028

68 Posts
Advanced Member

Leeds

The OD of the circlip is 75.32 mm and the thickness is 2.387 mm 2.465 in and .094 in.
A circlip at 2.5 mm I could definitely work with. As far as I can find out, the thickness of the oversized circlip is .097 in, so I will look again. Thanks for the help.
What I don't understand is why there is so little information about it, and why the gearbox rebuilders or spares suppliers wouldn't have a supply of circlips that size for the mini box. As I mentioned it seems to be ignored

ERA1028

68 Posts
Advanced Member

Leeds

I have just ordered a circlip from bearingbasement.com 74.5mm unsprung £1.07 delivered.

I will let you know how I get on with it.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 18th Oct, 2014 ERA1028 said:
The OD of the circlip is 75.32 mm and the thickness is 2.387 mm 2.465 in and .094 in.
A circlip at 2.5 mm I could definitely work with. As far as I can find out, the thickness of the oversized circlip is .097 in, so I will look again. Thanks for the help.
What I don't understand is why there is so little information about it, and why the gearbox rebuilders or spares suppliers wouldn't have a supply of circlips that size for the mini box. As I mentioned it seems to be ignored
I dont think there ever was a different size circlip, it would have had a different part number.

Like a lot of these things in the manual, it was a factory build procedure, that in the main was never practiced in the service industry.

There is plenty other things in the gearbox that have a specified clearance but no real way to alter it other than selective parts from several gearboxes to get you closer to your goal. For example, end float on second and third gears is set by the two babbitted lock washers on the main shaft but there is only one size available.

If you want to adjust these things you have to use methods that are not described in these manuals. I've had alsorts surface ground to size for best fit *wink*

graemec

940 Posts
Member #: 1424
Post Whore

Carnforth, Lancs

It is a different part number - the standard one is 22G850.
But I can't see what advantage a thicker clip here will really give other than take up a little slop in the groove. The end float of the 1st motion shaft shouldn't be that critical should it (as long as it not far too tight)?

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

My bad, I should really look at thumbers first. I suppose it stops the bearing tipping it its bore

Edited by Sprocket on 18th Oct, 2014.

graemec

940 Posts
Member #: 1424
Post Whore

Carnforth, Lancs

Maybe, but that bearing has plenty of race width and is a good fit.
My guess is that the fact that no one has them, and most haven't heard of them, means they were found to not really be needed.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I would tend to agree but, most are not exactly putting 45lbft of torque through the gearbox any, more. At least at the higher end of output, I would be looking to optimise wherever I could.

There have been plenty of people who have stripped the teeth off the first motion shaft, how many of those had the fit of this circlip by the book? Not saying its why the gear broke, but whats to say its not a contributing factor? The bearing housing is aluminium, and will distort under load. Also, if the fit is not important, why is there always wear on the clip on long mileage standard boxes?.... it is clearly taking some load as the bearing moves.

Same can be said for the snap ring on the fourth motion double roller bearing snap ring and retainer.

Ultimately if you dont want to do anything about the sloppy fit of the circlip in its groove, I have no problem with that. If its something I can easily adjust the fit of, I will, after all that is what blueprinting is all about.

I'm not saying your wrong, far from it, but for the effort of getting it right on a high output motor it has to be worth the piece of mind if nothing else.

ERA1028

68 Posts
Advanced Member

Leeds

Ok I have done it.
With the bearing fitted the gap is .101 in. My original circlip is .094 in. If I reused it there would be a gap of .007 in. Too much.
As far as I can work out the gap after the circlip is fitted should be .002 to .004 in.
My metric circlip is .098 in. Using this circlip the gap left is .003 in. Much better than .007 in
I am happy with that. A good result.
Thanks everyone

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

I don't understand why I need this. If the bearing spins, you're buggered.

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

That reads out of context. Care to explain a little better Vegard? :)

On 31st Oct, 2014 Vegard said:
I don't understand why I need this. If the bearing spins, you're buggered.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Good stuff :)

On 31st Oct, 2014 ERA1028 said:
Ok I have done it.
With the bearing fitted the gap is .101 in. My original circlip is .094 in. If I reused it there would be a gap of .007 in. Too much.
As far as I can work out the gap after the circlip is fitted should be .002 to .004 in.
My metric circlip is .098 in. Using this circlip the gap left is .003 in. Much better than .007 in
I am happy with that. A good result.
Thanks everyone

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Colin. Is that CarlS in your avatar?

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

You're asking the wrong person........ *happy*

On 31st Oct, 2014 apbellamy said:
Colin. Is that CarlS in your avatar?

Carl S
Forum Mod

1927 Posts
Member #: 1761
Stalker

Bristol

Haha, have you been sniffing the thinners Andy?

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

It looks like you Carl.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Home > Technical Chat > 1st motion bearing circlip 22g851
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: