Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Line boring advice needed

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

Engine had 100k miles on it, and the main bearings failed due to high revs, bad lubrication (oil too hot) and and a cluch that was out of balance (one of the verto spring fingers had snapped off and was rattling around inside). Front and centre main straps are "ok"; back strap is a slightly tight fit when the alignment dowels are in place, and had a black, scorched look to the surface when dismantled.

I had engine shop line hone the main bearings in the hope they could recover it, but they've properly f**ked it up - The rear-most strap has been sanded down badly(it doesn't sit flat), and they didn't insert the alignment dowels for any of the straps when they honed it (WTF *angry*).

I've only managed to find one place that does line boring (Coventry Boring & Metalling Co.) and they suggested it would be arround £200 + VAT, so does anyone know if I can get it done for less (where?) or should I just get a new block.

Ideas please. HELP !

Mike-998

882 Posts
Member #: 9774
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Can't comment on the cost of line boring but Coventry Boring and Metalling were the cheapest I found for other engine work, I had them fit a liner and bore the block and they did a good job of that.

I think MED can do it?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...tid=469104&fr=0

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

line bores/hones always seem to be pricey, 200 sounds in the right ball bark

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

philc

1394 Posts
Member #: 1346
Post Whore

bromsgrove

Try mja engineering in bromsgrove martin can do most things

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

Drop me a PM i have a guy i use who you could try.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Does it matter what it costs? Surely the halfwhit that fucked it up will be paying to sort it out.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

1380rich

412 Posts
Member #: 9766

Warwickshire

Southam mini and metro centre 01926 815681 they sorted mine. I know they were really cautious who they used

Avon 2010 class c 3rd
Avon 2011 class c 2nd 13.8 @ 98mph

mossy2a

389 Posts
Member #: 9751

Derbyshire

I used service garage in ockbrook derby, although I had new pistons they wanted everyone so they could match the tolerance on each bore to each piston. I only paid £120 also. I was very impressed.

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Id get a new block. Especially as your in a worse place then before you started.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

My machinist uses a place in St Helens for line boring. Made a good job of mine. Look at MED or Swiftune as it might be worth the little extra for a full set of steel caps along with the line bore

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 20th Oct, 2014 PhilR said:
The rear-most strap has been sanded down badly(it doesn't sit flat), and they didn't insert the alignment dowels for any of the straps when they honed it

Are you serious about the cap being "sanded" down and the sleeve dowels not being fitted ?

If so I would name and shame loudly.

If the bores of the block/caps have gone oversize or oval on any engine the repair needs to be taken seriously.

Done properly the caps would be milled (flat) and fitted with the sleeve dowels to give an undersize hole for line boring/honing.

But it adds lot off issues, especially on the Mini as it inevitably moves the crank centreline up in the block.

Not too bad on a conventional engine but puts the primary gear out of centre in the oil seal and, more importantly IMO, reduces the engagement with the idler gear.

If it's for high performance, I would look for another block.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 20th Oct, 2014 Rod S said:

Not too bad on a conventional engine but puts the primary gear out of centre in the oil seal and, more importantly IMO, reduces the engagement with the idler gear.

This is true, but easily managed.

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

I can recommend Coventry boring, we use them for most of our boring at work. Paynes near Oxford is another place, but they seem a bit hit or miss on quality.

The only way I can see to recover it is to measure the centre line of the caps and block, and work out how far off centre line they have bored it, or if its on centre line. If it is biased the caps (which sounds like it could be) then you may get away with another set of caps (good time to fit cast 4 bolt centre main). Skim the new caps, then line hone. A good line honing company should be able to pick up the bore and only take say half a thou out of the crankcase so won't effect any other dimensions on engine.

We quite often have to recover crank cases that have been repaired/welded and line honed back inline. It can be a pain..especially scraping in bearing caps. *oh well*

Edited by matty on 20th Oct, 2014.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

having been a sucker to a bad shop myself i feel your frustration man

best advice i can give is use a guy that is known for doing good work by peoples say that you know well

as said above

PhilR

696 Posts
Post Whore

Birmingham

On 20th Oct, 2014 Rod S said:
The rear-most strap has been sanded down badly(it doesn't sit flat), and they didn't insert the alignment dowels for any of the straps when they honed it

Are you serious about the cap being "sanded" down and the sleeve dowels not being fitted ?

Two of the caps have a surface finish similar to the mating face on the block, machining line running in-line with the crank; The end cap now has sanding marks running perpendicular to the crank, maybe 120 -240 grit. When torqued down, there is clearly daylight showing through the end facing the crank tail.

When I picked up the block, the 6 dowels were still threaded onto the tie-wrap, just I'd given them. Assembling the block a month later, shows sight rub marks on the sides of the centre and front bearings and the rear bearing just locked up.

The straps were borderline when I gave them the block, so for £30 I asked them to see if they could hone them back into shape before putting any time / money into the block. I was anticipating that it may need boring, but I'd like to think that someone with their wits about them could have saved it.

The mistake is done now, I've got way too much going on right now to turn this into a drama; I just need to get this fixed be someone who knows what they're doing so I can get this fixed this side of winter.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep them coming if you've got any ideas. I'm going to continue phoning around tomorrow.

PhilR

696 Posts
Post Whore

Birmingham

Apart from skimming, can they build them back up with weld, or bore them oversize and fill them with spacers? - Need to know what options there are so I'm not put on the spot and make the wrong decision if options are offered

Edited by PhilR on 20th Oct, 2014.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Find another block.....

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

Too be honest not much can be done that'll be cheaper than starting again with another block. Especially in a hurry. The main thing that needs to be determined is how much has been bored out of the block side, and if its still been bored on centreline of caps.

I'm happy to have a look for you, but you are a bit far from me really.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Don,t mess around any more just get another block - it should be cheaper than paying to (maybe) fix yours.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

The end cap now has sanding marks running perpendicular to the crank, maybe 120 -240 grit. When torqued down, there is clearly daylight showing through the end facing the crank tail.
Re. the "sanding" marks, if they are perpendicular and dead straight, it's possible they put the cap on a surface grinder with a badly dressed wheel rather than milling it (the wheel would have to be in very poor condition though for the depth of marking you suggest).
Re. the daylight, try torquing it down without the sleeve dowels, they may have taken too much off the cap face and the dowels are bottoming out in their holes (a long shot as, from memory, the clearance on the end of the sleeves is quite large).

EDIT - typo

Edited by Rod S on 21st Oct, 2014.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

PhilR

696 Posts
Post Whore

Birmingham

Thanks for the suggestions all, I'm putting it away until next year and going to build up one of my 998 blocks

skolawn

270 Posts
Member #: 69

Coventry

coventry metalling and boring have an excellent reputation and I have used them 30 years, southam dont do line boring nor do MED.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Line boring advice needed
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: