Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > 1312cc TI

Graham T

604 Posts
Member #: 1106
Post Whore

Hungerford, Berks

On 24th Oct, 2014 Paul S said:
Did you know that you can connect the 0-5v output from your wideband directly into the ECU ? *smiley*

Yes, I started off this way with the 998 NA, but ran out of MS2 inputs, Hence why I moved the 2 analogue inputs from the MS2 to the IOx in the first place.
In one of my first posts on the 998 NA injected car I had a hell of a time with spikey signals from the LC-1’s, which was partially resolved when I renewed what was obviously substandard wiring on my part.
But it was not until after I moved from analogue input on either MS2 or the IOx to digital through the IOx that I got what I saw as a nice clean trace on the AFR’s, at least that I was happy with.
I too have done thousands of miles in the 998 NA with fully sequential port injection, improved performance massively (my perception, as it was never put on a rolling road before or after the changeover), increased fuel efficiency dramatically and improved the emissions, but I have also had my share of problems in getting it work reliably – Mostly down to my build mistakes.
There was a lot of head scratching and getting input from those of you that had already worked out the basics before I started playing with it.

Depending on your abilities or prior knowledge this type project is either extremely complicated or not.
IMO there is a lot to learn before you get started with converting to Injection, regardless of which ECU or fuelling regime you decide to use, if your knowledge is as limited as mine.

For me it’s been complicated. I started out doing this as a challenge to myself to learn something new. I’ve had to do a lot of reading and ask a lot of questions to understand the basic’s.
I still get lost now with some of the more in depth discussions, though try to keep up.
That said, I think I was successful with the 998 NA and was more than happy with the results.

Although converting to injection on a turbo engine is more complicated than the NA (Using the Siamese code), this particular build is more complex still. That’s because it is not just simply Fuel injecting:
The traction control adds more complexity, not only in the physical wheel sensors, but the knock on effect with the ECU – Hence why I have run out of ports on the MS2.
A lot of the data I intend on gathering, half of which can be seen in the MLV log in the first post, is not necessary, IMO, for successful implementation of fuel injection. It is ultimately intended to help me to understand what’s actually going on in there.
Hopefully it will help to make the conversion from carb to Port injection easier for those who do not want to “learn a different language” or at least make them think more about alternates and probably learn from my mistakes.
I also intend on using some of that data moving forward as my dash board. Oil pressure, fuel level, fuel pressure all through the MS/ IOx. I have no dials/ gauges other than the Speedo.

Anyhow, that’s just me rambling on.

I appreciate all the help you are giving and feedback so far to what maybe some stupid or basic question.

And thanks for the feed back on the car – which I have just seen since starting this post.

Edited by Graham T on 25th Oct, 2014.

’77 Clubman build thread
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=618189

Siamese 5 port EFI testing
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=611675

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 25th Oct, 2014 Paul S said:
I think we need to do some testing to verify the potential wideband issues.

I'll start a new thread rather than clutter this one up.

Agreed, but to to add one last comment by me on this particular subject, I forgot to mention last night (Graham has referred to it since) the reason a digital input is essential in both mine and Graham's setup is that the MS2-E code only allows two CPU pins for a second O2 analogue (JS4 and JS5) and we both use those pins for TC.
And digital wideband is no big deal if you use an IOx with the MS2 (although limited to Innovate or 14point7 products).
And for what Graham and I are doing the IOx is essential as the MS2 just doesn't have enough I/O (and an MS3 even with the MS3X add-on still isn't enough for what we are doing).
It's true that even with an IOx you could still put the inputs in analogue - I did for a while before I ditched TechEdge in favour of 14point7 - but if you have a digital compatible wideband, using an analogue input would be like buying a 1080p 50" plasma and a BluRay player and still buying your films on DVD....
This thread is about a more complex build, not a basic one.
I don't think people should be put off a more basic port injection system just because we are talking about a more complex one here.

I have seen the difference analogue vs digital, Phil mentioned it recently in the dual wideband thread, and as Jean says it's been mentioned on the MS-E forms, but I'll elaborate on your other post.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Graham T

604 Posts
Member #: 1106
Post Whore

Hungerford, Berks

So, first rolling road session yesterday for the coupe (and the first time I’ve ever actually been at one.
To be honest, I was not totally sure what to expect, other than having Dad on Standby with the car trailer to come and collect me, but thankfully that was not necessary.
It’s a bit of a mind fuck when you are sat in the passenger seat of a car screaming its bollocks off at 5700RPM doing what would be 115MPH, but going nowhere.
*oh well*

The results I got by the end of half a day were actually on par with what I had calculated/ guestimated they would be during road testing – so actually that was a bonus…

There are a few issues to resolve and a lot of data to go through and put into some sort of order, so there will be more to follow, but for now:

We only actually took 4 “power runs” as the boost was turned up and to be honest, a lot of the work done on the road saved a fair bit of time on the rollers. There were actually only very few changes to fuelling needed, 1% here or there and a bit of injection timing changing at lower rev’s lower boost.
There is still more to do on the fuelling, as I am currently only running one fuel table, so I can get those AFR’s balanced just a bit more when I swap to 2 fuelling tables
Also, I overran the maximum duty cycle for the injectors slightly, but the best run of the day was still only on Primary injectors.

This video was actually an aborted run. We lost some boost at the end of the day just was we were about to turn it up to 18PSI and test staging.
https://youtu.be/Ts0ZlAZCrzY

The best achieved was 15PSI but for some reason after that run, the highest we could get, even with the waste gate actuator open to atmosphere was 13.4PSI.
The waste gate actuator is apparently a standard Saab OEM item. I’ve always been wary of it. Without any type of boost control and with half a hole preload it was giving 5.5PSI, with a boost control solenoid it was giving between 7 – 13PSI.
To get the extra boost I installed a manual control valve, hence getting up to 15PSI.
But as said, that disappeared for some reason.
There is no evidence of the manifold leaking, and I imagine that would be a fairly big leak?? So I’m wondering if the actuator is weak? Could the heat for an afternoon of running cause it to weaken further?
So, more investigation needed and suggestions welcome.

We also had a major brown trouser incident about half way through the session when the secondary injector on the 1/2 inlet tract decided to dump fuel from a failed O’ring all over the exhaust manifold and turbo whilst running around 5000RPM and 13Psi boost.

No mapping was done on the ignition I set up a rather conservative map originally and we have stuck with that, so that’s the next step at the next half-day session.
Also, I have a few refinements to make, the big one will be either ducting air to the air filter or moving the air filter. It’s currently behind the passenger side headlight, so is swallowing loads of hot air. Temperature at the Air filter was averaging 50DegC for most of the runs, so that needs to be address…

All told I’m chuffed. I have no idea if these figures are good, bad or average, but I know there is more to get out of it yet.
I'm just slightly disappointed we never got further than we did.

*happy**happy**happy*

’77 Clubman build thread
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=618189

Siamese 5 port EFI testing
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=611675

theoneeyedlizard

7259 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Excellent result! That is good power for the boost.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Looking at that graph, that should be a really nice car to driver. Fairly smooth all the way up to a decent point in the rev range.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > 1312cc TI
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: