Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > square wave from Aldon ignitor fired coil..

skolawn

270 Posts
Member #: 69

Coventry

Hi

Really struggling with this, I hate electricery, 240V and 12V existing is my comfort zone, diodes zerners and stuff make me squirm worse than big spiders!!

How do I clean up the pulse and make it a square wave suitable for a AEM Wideband.

Fag packet sketch and the parts required would be awesome!!! appreciated and most helpful..

Ta in advance

Paul

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

On 21st Oct, 2014 skolawn said:
Hi
How do I clean up the pulse and make it a square wave suitable for a AEM Wideband.
Paul

Confused... Why would an o2 controller need a tach signal ?

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

for logging perhaps ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Some of them can display or log AFR's vs rpm.

Whilst I'm not electronically minded for the most part....adding in a small transistor should do what you need.

Havent a damn clue whether npn, pnp or whatever though. But it's just like a miniature relay and it's output would be a straight digital off or on

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

Ok, I'm assuming it's this one...

http://aemelectronics.com/files/instructio...afe%20Gauge.pdf

The vague instructions just say to take the signal from the tachometer input at the back of the dashboard. In many cases, the signal to the dash (or aftermarket tacho) is just a wire from the coil -VE. Whether Aldon Ignitor or points, this is pretty much a square wave.

Just like an aftermarket tacho, I'd also expect the AEM to accept the Coil -VE signal (with all necessary circuitry and protection built in) , otherwise it'd be pretty useless to many people. These are just assumptions, but that's what I'd try first.

Typical aftermarket tachometer wiring...

Edited by PhilR on 23rd Oct, 2014.

skolawn

270 Posts
Member #: 69

Coventry

exactly that, AEM failsafe... wont work with dizzy ignitor, ask AEM and they say connect it to you ECU tach signal, errr not got one just a coil and dizzy, theys ay then connect to crank position sensor, not got one, connect to alternator to see pulse, nope not got one. connecting it direct to neg on coil it leaps arround wildly and occasionally settles no where near the RPM it is at... hence the question, I'm thinking dizzy gives more of an analogue wave and it cant see the pulses, and likely spikes but will be a messy signal and it wants a clean one, thought diode in feed to chop wave in half to get a pulse? or do I need a resistor to chop the possible high voltage spikes from the signal...... who knows this stuff...

KLAS

89 Posts
Member #: 2380
Advanced Member

Hamburg, Germany

what about something like this?
http://www.autosportlabs.net/TachAdapter
just take the shematics and reduce it to one coil

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > square wave from Aldon ignitor fired coil..
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: