Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Companies to Avoid > Fibre glass companies. Why are they so bad?

steve w

656 Posts
Member #: 1917
AKA chargedzetec

Milton Keynes

Looks pretty shit. I had a battery box from TDK, with their logo atop. If I'd have been Dave, I'd have ground it off before delivering it looked that bad. To be fair though the other bits were what I asked for, and what I expected......

The saying "you get what you pay for" wasn't invented for nothing.

Fibreglass moves like hell, for various reasons.

If you've purchased a bootlid for example, for £30. Break down the costs in your head. Materials, over heads, labour, profit.

Doesn't take a genius to wok out that you're gonna be bloody lucky if it fits well and if the finish is like an oem part.

This is FORD country, on a quiet day you can hear Vauxhalls rusting.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I've said this many times about many parts.... In many cases, I would gladly pay anything from 2-10 times the price for an identifiably better quality part than the junk being offered at the "competitive" pricing offered by many companies. The 2x is in something that I can live with, the 10X is in the case of steering rack gaiters, ball joint seals, etc that are a royal PITA.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Rory

24 Posts
Member #: 6538

Angus, Scotland

Looking at the pictures they are both easy sorts.
Little bit of heat and some clamps and they would pull in easy enough.
The cut out on the rear valance will take you 10 mins to sort with a file.

I used TDK for my S/Saloon body shell, arches, doors etc etc and nothing would have fitted any good without a bit of fettling. BUT for the cost i paid it didnt bother me.
I could have bought a Curley setup but would have cost 3 x more...

You pay for what you get at the end of the day.

Rory

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

Curley I don't think is much better, as the saying goes if it hasn't got a defect, it ain't curley! I spoke to ABS recently about a roof skin,and they've decided to stop selling items by other manufacturers and produce items themselves as the fit of the items they sell is getting slowly worse.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

dazibee

553 Posts
Member #: 1356
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

If i clamp a straight piece of wood both sides of the flange where it is wonky and leave it in front of the fire do you reckon that will sort it?

On 30th Nov, 2014 Rory said:
Looking at the pictures they are both easy sorts.
Little bit of heat and some clamps and they would pull in easy enough.
The cut out on the rear valance will take you 10 mins to sort with a file.

I used TDK for my S/Saloon body shell, arches, doors etc etc and nothing would have fitted any good without a bit of fettling. BUT for the cost i paid it didnt bother me.
I could have bought a Curley setup but would have cost 3 x more...

You pay for what you get at the end of the day.

Rory

wolfie29177

133 Posts
Member #: 476
Advanced Member

The Black Countraaaaay

that scoop looks like some generic crap that boy racers can stick on their corsas, saxos and any other crap euro box. The quality of the valance is piss poor. Gel coats too thin and nowhere near enough layering so it's warped quickly. Probably been done with the wrong strand as well so it can be produced cheaper

Masturbation is not a crime its a hobby

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

So there you have it.. A scoop that is the wrong shape and wont fit. A wonky valance which will take me a few evenings to sort out and i shouldn't have to
A mixed bag of responses on here, some attitudes seem to be its fibre glass expect it to be rough, live with it. I don't buy into that, it would have been very easy for the supplier to have made my valance and scoop a lot better with a little more care and attention.
Someone said i was offered a refund and here i am moaning. Well yes i am moaning and warning others to be careful, the point is i wasted a month while these items were lashed up, a refund is great but i wont get the month back and no way should a professional have fobbed me off with these parts, so moan i did.
Turbodave is spot on, most of us would pay a little more for decent parts and it is certainly achievable here

dazibee

553 Posts
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

On a positive note i received my minispares rosepetals on the same day. They were awesome, always had good stuff and service from minispares

jamiestevenbell

336 Posts
Member #: 9941

Derby

I have used abs motorsport a fair bit recently and found there stuff to be a bang on fit that requires barely any fettling

Rory

24 Posts
Member #: 6538

Angus, Scotland

That will work if you can contain the heat.
All i used was a blow heater, and used old bed sheets to contain the heat in the area i needed to be shifted.
I managed to shift a rear arch panel 2"/3" using this method.

Don't get me wrong i don't condone bad workmanship, but with a £30 fibreglass product you cant expect perfection.
If you want it perfect (ish), buy steel?

Rory

On 30th Nov, 2014 dazibee said:

If i clamp a straight piece of wood both sides of the flange where it is wonky and leave it in front of the fire do you reckon that will sort it?

Home > Companies to Avoid > Fibre glass companies. Why are they so bad?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: