Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Slightly off topic - Spot the brake system

adcyork

539 Posts
Member #: 6807
Post Whore

York

I'm now the owner of the infamous force racing trailer of death which i'm in the process of sorting out/tarting up.

Can't find much reference to any twin leading shoe setups like this online.

So, does this brake back plate set up and corresponding hub look familiar to anyone?

4" stud PCD and circa 175mm drum inner dia.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/adcyork/me...rv.jpg.html?o=7

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

No handbrake? so front wheel drums or more likely original intended for trailers?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=283530

Edited by PhilR on 27th Nov, 2014.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Looks like A35 stuff to me

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

I think its a bastardised caravan chassis so its antique caravan bits you'll need! But on a more serious note you should be able to identify the bearings by measuring them.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

On 27th Nov, 2014 tadge44 said:
Looks like A35 stuff to me

Good guess but the back plate mounting holes appear to be in a trapezium shape pattern on the A35 back plates from a quick google.

On 27th Nov, 2014 PhilR said:
No handbrake? so front wheel drums or more likely original intended for trailers?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=283530

No handbrake so front drums off something is most likely yes. Ive contacted a number of trailer places and they seem to think hydraulic brakes on a caravan/trailer with no mechanical system is unheard of. Ta for the link.

On 27th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
I think its a bastardised caravan chassis so its antique caravan bits you'll need! But on a more serious note you should be able to identify the bearings by measuring them.

I've measured the bearings up but couldn't find any vehicles in the catalogue with matching dims to help me identify the rest of the bits.

Bought some generic taper roller bearings to suit now so it's the brakes that are the issue.

Edited by adcyork on 27th Nov, 2014.

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

Not early mini front drums are they?

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

I think if I were doing it I'd probably look to buy some modern backplate assemblies to suit the drum diameter and adapt them to fit. If you did manage to get the hydraulic setup working you'd have to get out if the car to flip a latch over every time you wanted to reverse which is a pain!
Modern cable operated systems use magic and witchcraft to allow you to reverse without the brakes locking on.
By the time you have bought 4 new wheel cyls, a new master cyl, and associated shoes springs pipe etc, I'd think you will be close to what a couple of backplates and cables would be anyhow.
I've towed that trailer all over the country, certainly Pod, Avon, Prescott, Cadwell Park to name a few. However with the DON at 440kg it was comfortably under 750kg hence we never bothered with the brakes.

Edited by Tom Fenton on 27th Nov, 2014.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

In Norway, hydraulic trailer brakes are illegal. Easier to convert to mechanical?

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

if theres a stub axle that also bolts on with those 4 holes. i'd just fit up a whole modern stub axle and brake assembly, eg Astra "G" rear drums?

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

So just to cap this off. I started digging round a bit more and could just about read a part number on one of the hubs that was so shallow that it was only just legible when highlighted with a paint pen.

Turns out all of this stuff is off the front of a 60's era MK1 MG midget/AH Sprite.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

Dave won't have been far off with the A35 stuff then

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Slightly off topic - Spot the brake system
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: