Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Cam follower solution

Keith Calver

14 Posts
Member #: 2085

My mate Graham Russell alertedme to somebody on here talking about the crapcam follower issue we have all been suffering with for the past umpteen years... I now have the solution. After years of brow-beating suppliers & manufacturers and getting nowhere, I decided the only way to solve the problem was to do the damn things myself. So I bought a cam follwoer grinder. Not at all easy, finally finding one in Australia. Shipped it here and is now up and running. Perfect, precision ground cam follower faces with the correct profile for correct rotation in use. I can do new and good condition used followers for all and sundry for a small fee. Sorted.

Keith Calver

14 Posts

Apologies - I didn't give a contact... keith@calverst.com. New ones available on my website www.calverst.com. Ah - does that constitute advertising? Apologies again. I don't know how all this stuff works. IT idiot!

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

So are all the new followers out there today flat then? Even ones that come in cam kits etc?

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

dont cams lobes have a slight angle on them for lifter rotation?

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Yep,

this should give help visulize what happens, also the lobe is often offset in relation to the follower to help rotation.

imagine if the follower was flat, the cam would contact right at the edge, so there would, be a point of high pressure so the oil film would break down.

Attachments:

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

thats awesome joe

clear as day
makes sense with the oil film as well its like dragging a cube across sand vs a ball
the ball lifts and drives a "wedge" lifting it up vs the sharp corner with a shearing

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

also I woukld expect its a bit hit and miss which followers are flat,

I would expect somthing like Isky ones or minispare competion ones to be ok, but just standard ones to be an issue.

I think cam companys like kent and piper buy in followers en mass, so they could have flat ones, but I'd hope they check them... or are at least checking them now,

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

Keith, at the very bottom of this page is a become a TM trader link, that should sort you out with regards as being a trader on turbominis.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

Very nice Mr Kalver, about time someone sorted this ............. Hats off buddy

Earwax

109 Posts
Member #: 10368
Advanced Member

Australia

On 27th Nov, 2014 slater said:
So are all the new followers out there today flat then? Even ones that come in cam kits etc?

It would appear so. It seems there aren't that many companies that manufacture the followers (like 2-3) and then supply to different companies.
i have looked at the mass produced ones, a couple of old sets and FLAT. when a picture is taken of followers with the radii you can see the conical swirl, .photo courtest ausmini, tim w hope it is ok to share

Attachments:

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

are original followers flat from bl ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Keith Calver

14 Posts

Apologies for late reply. Bloomin' busy at CST right now.

Cams tend to have a very slight angle across the lobe - typically about 0.0007". I have my cams ground with a bit more than that to aid follower rotation.

A-series followers are supposed to have a radius on the face in the lorder of 52-82". Not much, but is absolutely essential for follower rotation. If the follower does not rotate then premature wear of follwoers and cam will be guaranteed. The followers are also at an angle in the block. Only 2 degrees but it is all done to ensure follower rotation.

The followers available from all the usual suspects come from one of two manufacturers. though the vast majority come from just one source. The follower faces come in all kinds of finished shape - everything except the correct one it would seem. Some are dead flat, some are flat but angled one side to the other. This has been going on for years now. I have tried time and again to gett he manufcatiurers to understand the problem. Seems they don't give a damn. Neither do the cam manufacturers. Better for them if things wear out quicker.

Isky followers have not been made for years. I believe they were manufacured for Iskenderian by Johnson Bros. in the States. I tried to get them to remake them years ago, but they were not interested. Too small a quantity it would seem. The ones MSC sells are 'Isky style' but are made by the same folks that amke the vast majority of the other followers. MSC also have followers made by the now Federal Mogal owned AE. I believe these are probably made in South Africa.

The followers available are not as good as the OE ones that were made in the UK. The cast iron is nowhere near as good a quality. But they are OK except for the face profile. Hence me investinga serious amount of time, effort and money to get hold of a proper cam follower grinder.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Sounds good KC.... So are you saying that good condition, factory followers, with a reground face are likely to be a more robust option than the majority of followers available at the majority of retailers?
I also didn't know the follower bores were machined into the block at an angle. That is very interesting...

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Yep that is jolly interesting stuff!

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

yep something to think about and had this been available/known at build time id have done it

Keith Calver

14 Posts

Yes Dave - the genuine OE followers, if not too worn, once refaced are excellent. Particularly from the base material spec angle. And to continue interesting things about cam follower bores - one of the reasons why some engines go better than others, particularly in teh A+ blocks, is that quite ofetn the cam follower bores wander away from parallel to the crank. Starts off OK at number one inlet end, but the time you get to 6, 7, 8 they may have moved significantly. Hence some weird readings when checking valve opening times. This is one of the reasons why I generally have them bored out in the race engines I build. They are trued up at the same time.

norm74

54 Posts
Member #: 2819
Advanced Member

south east, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

KC when you bore out the lifter bores, do you bore them out to fit an oversize lifter(from a differnet engine), or do you fit a brass sleeve and bore them to the orginal spec

thanks rob

everybody likes free stuff

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

i think my q got lost kieth ,are the stock british leyland/rover lifters flat or domed ? or have they changed over time?

thanks
robert.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

interesting point about the lifter bore alignment in the block
i think i read some place to set the valve lash not by a set number but to when the valve actually lifts of the seat at the correct crank angle ignoring the actual feeler gauge number (infarct not evan using them)
my under standing is getting the valve from seat to seat at the correct times is more important than setting them at x number

id think if going bigger on lifter bore you might as well take advantage of the extra diameter and run a custom cam profile

i had thought about going bigger on my lifters but decided not to due to the shop wanting a million to do it and id already gotten the new cam

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

On 3rd Dec, 2014 Turbo This.. said:
...i think i read some place to set the valve lash not by a set number but to when the valve actually lifts...

http://russellengineering.com.au/project-small-bore-pt2/ ...towards the bottom. All of his other articles are a good read too.

Edited by PhilR on 3rd Dec, 2014.

paul wiginton
Forum Mod

5933 Posts
Member #: 784
9 times Avon Park Class C winner

Milton Keynes

So do you have in mind what an 'ultimate' race follower would be Keith?

I seriously doubt it!

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Cam follower solution
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: