Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Non-Mini Projects > Metro Turbo Van

mini josh

12 Posts
Member #: 9802

Derby

Hi,
I currently own a 1992 Austin Metro Van, my plan is to restore the van, adding all of the mg turbo body components, and on mini lite wheels. Engine wise the plan is to build a 998 turbo, bottom end is already built, using an mg metro cam. I also have a ported and polished 12g295 cylinder head, all I require now is the turbo set up and I'm away. possibly in the future I will add an 8v twin cam bike head along side the turbo, but will be sticking to a standard 5 port head for Now. I will up date this thread as progress comes will add some pictures but comments and opinions are welcome.

Thanks Josh

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Cool! Look forward to seeing progress. Have a search on here and you will find the turbo van Andy and I had a few years ago! I see you aren't far away, I may have a few metro bits left in my shipping container you can have.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

cool another one *happy* , last time i was in a metro turbo van i was nearly scared to death, well it was either the van or ^^Johns driving *hehe!*
what turbo setup you looking for?

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

cool another one *happy* , last time i was in a metro turbo van i was nearly scared to death, well it was either the van or ^^Johns driving *hehe!*
what turbo setup you looking for?

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

I like those wheels! not too sure about thw walnut door trims though LOL

get a build thread up and I'll share my tips on suspension mods!

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

mini josh

12 Posts

Derby

Hi John, any bits you have about would be much appreciated !! Turbo set up is something I have got to so some digging into, but seem to be on the right forum for that ! Suspension wise it will be standard van hydrolastic units, as they were stiffer for the added carrying weight,I will also individualise each unit. Front and rear turbo anti roll bars, rear turrets so I can run adjustable shocks all round. Then brakes will be standard metro 4 pots with green stuff pads with vented and drilled discs. Got quite a few suspension bits and bobs but still a few to get. This isn't my first metro and not the only one I own either, but I do also own a couple of minis Aswell.

Josh

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

It's all downhill from here...

*wink*

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

Stay well away from greenstuff pads, they're utter shite! Get yourself some mintex m1144 pads, more expensive, but they actually work, and work well. Looking forward to seeing this build though, looks like you have a healthy pile of nos parts there!

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

mini josh

12 Posts

Derby

I have read the build thread for the last turbo van !! Won't be making anything like the power that one was making !!! Well unless I get carried a away :/ some helpful info in the thread anyway..
Josh

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

Time will tell Josh!

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

I agree with the greenstuff comment, I'd rather std pads over the greens.

If your lowering, defo chop the struts rather than just letting the fluid out, and also filling with citroen LHM fluid stiffens the damping up a bit, (but if your adding shocks then thats a bit redundent) also the front damper mounts are quite weak so reinforce them.

if the wings are off check the condition of the join of the out rigger that goes down to the front subframe mount, its wise to double plate this area to stregthen it.

another great mod is to weld up the subframe ruber mounts so they are solid, take them off... tack across with a mig, and if they arent aready alight give them a good blast with the welder and leave them to "de-rubber" then spadge a load of weld in. this alone made a massive difference to the feel of my metty.

the rear subframe rubbers are a bit trickier, you want to ditch the rear rubber, drill through from inside the car into the subby and add a captive nut, and fit a spacer, I think I used one from the seats. the front mount can just be welded up, tack all 4 corners, let it burn out, then weld it up.

one massive issue with mettys ( as your probably aware) is the front roll bar to bottom arm joint, these end up with play and scrub the tyres, Nylon/nylatron ones are/were available but were expensive, you should be able to get somthing turned up for less.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Home > Non-Mini Projects > Metro Turbo Van
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: