Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Companies to Avoid > Ebay shill bidding scum

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

Just watched someone try to sell an engine block on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371207473203

...which he shill-bid up at the end using another account. GRRRR. Would have put a bid in if I hadn't realised it was a dishonest git. Luckily there wasn't a true buyer

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Greedy twat. How much do people think they are worth nowadays!

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

On 15th Dec, 2014 theoneeyedlizard said:
Greedy twat. How much do people think they are worth nowadays!

the earth... really pisses me off when there are engine blocks on ebay about £100 buy it now with no bearing caps..

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I guess that means 100 quid is the market value for a bare, standard bore block then...

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

clubman91

263 Posts
Member #: 8923

North Wales

I sold a complete 1275 mg metro engine this year on ebay only made £150 ish so thats what it went for.
Wish i kept in now seeing what most of them are going for!

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

im watching mini engines on ebay atm, trying to scoop another bargain, one thing i can say the price is all over the place

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Tupers

324 Posts
Member #: 9441

South Devon

Shill bidding sucks but £100 is about the going rate for an standard bore 1275 block.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

How could you tell it was him bidding it up? Ive had some bargains.. genuine 30,000 mile 1275 which i saw the car it came from.. £35 buy it now! I hit that button in supersonic speed! And another 1275 £75.. cant find anymore like that *frown*

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

redrat

328 Posts
Member #: 9107

Devon

On 15th Dec, 2014 D4VE said:
How could you tell it was him bidding it up ?

Think this says it all

wng691s clubby

2057 Posts
Member #: 9252
Post Whore

Cleethorpes

you can report buyers now and there bids are removed if they get caught 3 times I think it is there accounts are removed

Done now needs redoing lol

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Worth reporting in my opinion. That's pretty damning evidence.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

t@z

2054 Posts
Member #: 452
Post Whore

Chester, UK

good thing i was gonna have a bid on that but went over what i was prepared to pay

www.twitter.com/lilpinkiy

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Just had a few minutes reporting him on a few of the shill bidded auctions whilst I drank my cuppa *smiley*

Can't decide if it is a good deed or me just being an arse! Perhaps both?

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

I don't see the problem. You bid what you want to pay. He bids the minimum he wants. If all adds up theres a sale if it doesn't there's not. I bid my stuff up all the time. It's only the same as setting a reserve.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 16th Dec, 2014 slater said:
I don't see the problem. You bid what you want to pay. He bids the minimum he wants. If all adds up theres a sale if it doesn't there's not. I bid my stuff up all the time. It's only the same as setting a reserve.

I disagree.

I put in a proxy bid on a mountain bike frame. I was the highest bidder untill the last minutes when all of a sudden, some one else kept bidding in £10 increments until I was outbid. Within half an hour of the auction ending I received a second chance offer as the 'winning bidder' had backed out, but the seller wanted my max bid price. I duely told him to fuck off as it was only worth what was bid before he started bidding up the auction. Never heard back lol

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

slater

1030 Posts
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

That's a bit different tho isnt it. Not what has occurred here. It's easily spotted and if you don't get time to retract your bid too just refuse to pay. Sounds like you did exactly what I'd have done. A bit annoying when its something you really want tho!

eBay is all geared against the small time seller so you need to play it to get anything out of it! Playing the actual buyer is a bit underhand tho. As a buyer try gixen next time. You won't have a problem again *wink*

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

well looks like i'll be listing some spare blocks then if there is this much interest!

PhilR

696 Posts
Post Whore

Birmingham

The block appeared to be perfect in the pictures and description. I would have paid money for that one, but as soon as I knew he's not playing by the rules, I thought, what if the description is a lie too... how the hell can you trust someone who shill bids?

If I want something, I'll pay the going rate. Sure, sellers may want more, but why should buyers pay more than it's worth? Slater, I hope you don't sell Mini parts on eBay *oh well*

'I saw you coming':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUnvgKhWZdI...youtu.be&t=2m3s

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

Hahaha

http://youtu.be/TQXJIi4oCGs

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

slater

1030 Posts
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Sell mini parts all the time, but only if you bid enough for them *tongue*

Frog.aye

17 Posts
Member #: 9903

Northern California

I never bid directly on anything. I always use a sniping service. Figure out in advance how much you are willing to pay and tell the service how long before the end of the auction you want your bid to drop. Don't get caught up in the excitement of the bidding, don't give other bidders a chance to increase their bids incrementally. If the bid goes over your maximum you don't get the item. If you win the auction you have paid a price that you felt reasonable.
The seller should either set his starting bid high enough that he is willing to sell the item at that price, or he should set a reserve price. He should NOT feel the need to use shill bidding which is a less than totally honest tactic (and which will often require the seller to pay auction fees for an item he sold to himself....

adcyork

539 Posts
Member #: 6807
Post Whore

York

I find it just as annoying anyone when someone shill bids their own items up.

Regarding the argument that a buyer should set a reserve. It makes no sense as the fee just to add the reserve equates to £8 on a £100 item. Add this to final value fees and paypal fees and it gets to the point of being circa 20% down, daylight robbery in my opinion.

A reserve price should be free, much like it was when I started using ebay in 2005

Edited by adcyork on 17th Dec, 2014.

PhilR

696 Posts
Post Whore

Birmingham

eBay have changed the fees recently and the reserve fee only applies if the reserve is £50 or more. Overall, the fees are much clearer now, and seem to have gone up again - 'Daylight robbery' pretty much sums it up.

I'm still hacked off, so I've also gone and reported a load of his other items under...

"Listing practices > Fraudulent listing activities > Seller is using other accounts to inflate item price "

For anyone that still thinks shill bidding is acceptable, note that it is classed as fraud. Slater, care to share your ebay ID on here? *hehe!*

slater

1030 Posts
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Dont type in the box more than what you want to pay and you cant loose!! Apply some god damn logic!

wng691s clubby

2057 Posts
Member #: 9252
Post Whore

Cleethorpes

On 17th Dec, 2014 slater said:
Dont type in the box more than what you want to pay and you cant loose!! Apply some god damn logic!

that's not the point as a seller if you want a set amount for said item put a reserve on it or a buy it now add. no need to rip people off

Done now needs redoing lol

Home > Companies to Avoid > Ebay shill bidding scum
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: