Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Detination at 7psi boost.

All-agroA+

69 Posts
Member #: 10611
Advanced Member

So for a couple weeks ive been running my engine at 4psi / waste gate pressure. On hard load at roughly 4500-5000k it pinged, but I was running standard N/A dizzy. I have since bought a boost controller to up the boost to 7psi and changed the dizzy for a Metro turbo one and set to 7deg bftd at 1500 rpm vac pipe diconected and pluged. Changed the plugs to BPR6ES ones. Still getting det.

The only thing I don't know is what ounce the dash pot spring is. It came from a supposed turbo carb but its silver in colour and I cant see any yellow paint on it.

If this is a high boost one would this cause a lean off at standard boost pressure?

Cr is 8.8:1 no intercooler. Fpr was set at 3.5 psi. Its a N/A carb converted to blow through and using the T piece trick.

If the spring is at fault, could I use two red springs instead of this one till I can get hold of a yellow?

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

no mention of afr?

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Nick king

65 Posts
Member #: 9646
Advanced Member

Bristol England

Have you got a fuel pressure regulator and is it connected to the vac pipe work so it increases pressure as boost increases? 4psi is very low boost pressures, it must be going really lean, doubt it's ign timing.
You need to maintain a pressure difference between the the air passing through the carb and the fuel coming out the jet, if not as the boost rises it will start to push the fuel back down the jet, I turn giving a weak mixture.

Edited by Nick king on 17th Dec, 2014.

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

What is the advance when it comes on boost?

How is the advance being retarded as boost rises?

Why have you disconnected the vac pipe? It's the only way advance can be altered against engine load.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

Definately something amiss, Shaunas runs 8psi with no intercooler with no hint of being anywhere near det.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

What dash pot oil? If it's too thin the piston will rise too quickly and then pop.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

All-agroA+

69 Posts
Advanced Member

VAC PIPE WAS PLUGGED TO SET TIMING. re connected afterwards.

the engine is as a standard Metro turbo would be set up.

so i have ALL the bits to make it work. as said the dizzy is a standard metro turbo dizzy, so it should be matched to the T3 compressor map.

as far as AFR goes i don't really know. plugs are brown when removed so the fueling cant be far off.

i have been running a drump valve, and so tonight i disconected the vac line to it and now it just uses the factory BOV. took it for a quick spin and the car absolutely flies boost spiked at 8.5 psi in first . pulls real hard in second at 6 psi peak. the clutch cant handle the torque in 3rd now and im not getting the boost up to 7 psi like i was before so cant hear any Det.

could it just have been my vac operated dump valve that was causing the problem?

clutch is standard but has a blue diaphragm.

All-agroA+

69 Posts
Advanced Member

is the clutch slip affecting the boost pressure as the load isn't as much due to the slip?

All-agroA+

69 Posts
Advanced Member

dash oil is 10w40

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

in short here you go ...................http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

wil_h

9258 Posts
Post Whore

In answer to the vac line shared between the dizzy and dump valve, yes it can be a problem. I always have the vac sensing pipe separate to everything else.

T the dump valve into the boost pressure gauge.

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

wil_h

9258 Posts
Post Whore

double post, I'm such and amateur.

Edited by wil_h on 17th Dec, 2014.

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

All-agroA+

69 Posts
Advanced Member

dizzy vac line goes to the same place it would do if it was N/A, so onto the nipple just before the butterfly on the carb.

My boost controller and dump valve run from a nipple that's screwed into the brake banjo bolt head.

All-agroA+

69 Posts
Advanced Member

i should add that the car is using 95 unleaded.

so, its possible that i could be getting det due to pre ignition by a possible build up of carbon. i have had the engine run on before. but not since the turbo was installed. could running it at 4 psi on a BDD cause this amount of build up in only a few weeks?

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Where's your AFR guage?

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

All-agroA+

69 Posts
Advanced Member

i dont have one yet, but the fueling was set at 3- 3.5% co on an mot emissions tester.

so, if the dash pot spring is the wrong ounce spring, (too strong) would this cause a lean out on lower boost than it was rated for?

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

It'll all be guesswork unless you have a means of checking AFR.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 17th Dec, 2014 All-agroA+ said:
i dont have one yet, but the fueling was set at 3- 3.5% co on an mot emissions tester.

so, if the dash pot spring is the wrong ounce spring, (too strong) would this cause a lean out on lower boost than it was rated for?

idle emissions mean shit at full throttle under boost! you need to be targetting 6% CO at full load full throttle and that usually means you need to use a dynamometer as the MOT machine won't fit in the boot!

Edited by Sprocket on 18th Dec, 2014.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

On 18th Dec, 2014 Sprocket said:

On 17th Dec, 2014 All-agroA+ said:

idle emissions mean shit at full throttle under boost! you need to be targetting 6% CO at full load full throttle and that usually means you need to use a dynamometer as the MOT machine won't fit in the boot!

Might as well talk to your self i was banging on about this last time when the origional poster was talking about tuning the engine using idle CO
OP doesnt even know what spring is in it ffs... the spring and needle go hand in hand

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

All-agroA+

69 Posts
Advanced Member

right, so your telling me that every metro turbo that came off the production line was put on a Dynamometer and power tuned? no. they didn't have a AFR gauge stock either, they were put together the idle mixture set and bunged out the door.

so if im running everything as a standard metro turbo engine everything should be right throughout the rev range.

the only thing un known about the set up is the colour of the spring, cause it ain't got any colour on it.

if i have the wrong spring is it going to affect the mixture at a standard boost level. thats it, if yes then i need a yellow spring. if not then i need to look some where else for the problem.

im after help not criticism.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

On 18th Dec, 2014 All-agroA+ said:
should

The trouble is that you are assuming everything is working as its supposed to which isn't necessarily the case.
Personally I'd either be buying a wideband or taking it to a rolling road who knows what they are doing with an SU.
Otherwise you are in danger of knackered pistons as many on here have got bitter experience of.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

wil_h

9258 Posts
Post Whore

I agree, but there is lots you can do without sticking it on a rolling road.

Firstly, retard the ignition a few deg, so set it at 5 deg rather than the 7.

Then stick half a turn on the enrichment screw, if it still pinks, stick another half turn on.

I tuned my 998 this way, but by bit. But I was stopping at the road and filing the needle evey mile or so. I also had mapped ignition which meant I knew what the advance was all the time.

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

On 18th Dec, 2014 wil_h said:

Then stick half a turn on the enrichment screw, if it still pinks, stick another half turn on.

I tuned my 998 this way, but by bit. But I was stopping at the road and filing the needle evey mile or so. I also had mapped ignition which meant I knew what the advance was all the time.

But surely to do this Wil you had a wideband hooked up so you could see what the fuelling was doing?

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

yes and no,

they would have been run up on a RR and checked that everything was within limits, which would be the case nearly all the time, but occasionally there would be a reject, this would then go back for re work... not sure what this would entail, but as an example... at fords in the early 70's on the cortina line if an engine assy had a faul they would often just lob the whole assy back into the foundry!

getting O/T but this is an interesting vid, suprising the amount of checking even back in the 60's/70's

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/automati...chang/query/BMC

Your making the assuption (as already pointed out) that every thing is std metro turbo and working as it should, after 20+ years it probably isnt, plus youve got some non std stuff in there, non metro turbo carb, higher boost, even the exhaust will have an effect.

just a few thougts on what to look at,

sort that spring, red ones are 4.5 oz, yellow are 8 oz, green are 12oz,
I supose 2 reds might work... but god knows what the rising rate would be with two springs, pluss I dont like the idea of them getting tangled and possible changing rate.

check the dizzy ( as this is new to the buld and unproven) is actually doing somthing,
get a timing light on it and rev it to check the advance is changing as it should, advance sorings can get weak, or break, or the weights can get stuck etc. check the vac advance is doing what it should too, suck on it and check the timing moves. some people set the timing at 5k where the engine will be at max advance.

On 18th Dec, 2014 All-agroA+ said:
right, so your telling me that every metro turbo that came off the production line was put on a Dynamometer and power tuned? no. they didn't have a AFR gauge stock either, they were put together the idle mixture set and bunged out the door.

so if im running everything as a standard metro turbo engine everything should be right throughout the rev range.

the only thing un known about the set up is the colour of the spring, cause it ain't got any colour on it.

if i have the wrong spring is it going to affect the mixture at a standard boost level. thats it, if yes then i need a yellow spring. if not then i need to look some where else for the problem.

im after help not criticism.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

wil_h

9258 Posts
Post Whore

Nope, just did it by ear and maybe a narrowband (which is as good as guessing). I stuck it on a rr at some point in the future and it was pretty good. But I've been doing it for years so had a good idea what I was listening/feeling for.

It was the 998 cc green mini I converted in 20 hours. It was lowish boost so it was never a big risk. It was also before widbands were available for pennies.

On 18th Dec, 2014 Tom Fenton said:

On 18th Dec, 2014 wil_h said:

But surely to do this Wil you had a wideband hooked up so you could see what the fuelling was doing?

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Detination at 7psi boost.
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: