Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Me againnnn

coopdog

330 Posts
Member #: 9628

ive come back from uni now and had a look at the car.

i got it running and at about 1500-2000rpm to check the blowby,
i didnt get it completly up to temp had it halfway up to temp and the oil pressure was 60 psi, i checked how much crank pressure there was by taking the rocker cap off and held my hand over it and it was like someone was blowing on my hand decently hard.

im guessing it shouldnt be like that?

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

Did it stop smoking when you left the cap off ?

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

is it burning oil ? do a compression test ............. keep us posted

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

IIRC symptoms were oil leak from somewhere on the turbo, smoking at idle, smoking under load. Replies speculated drain angle, oil pressure, excess crank case pressure.

Amongst other suggested tests, I think I asked him to retest without the oil cap, as he had questioned whether he needed more breathers.

Coopdog, maybe a quick recap of symptoms as they stand now and what you've tested so far?

coopdog

330 Posts

It burns no oil at all until it gets up to full working temp :/

I had this blow by problem when it was NA too, guy at the rolling road thought it was the valves leaking, but even with that it put out 64bhp so it couldn't of been anything too bad if it put out that kind of power, also it didn't burn any oil at all, just leaked a little.

When I took it off the road for this build I had the valves lapped.

When I tried it earlier I didn't get it all the way up to temp but it didn't leak at all, but when the cap was off it was puffing a fair amount of air out of the cap,

What first happend was I got it up to temp via idling took it for a tiny drive left it in first and slowly accelerated until it started boosting, I let off and had a load of compressor surge and with that a load of smoke out of the exhaust and engine bay, drove a little but more and got it on boost one more time and it did the same pulled over and it was smoking a bit, looked underneath and it was leaking a bit got it back to the garage and took the turbo off and sent it back to the company who rebuilt it to check the oil seals and everything is spot on, put it all back together and it only leaked when it got up to temp and that's where we are now

Edited by coopdog on 20th Dec, 2014.

coopdog

330 Posts

just done the compression test :(

DRY

1: 130

2: 140
3: 135
4: 130

WET

1:150
2: 160

3: 150

4: 150

very annoying :(

looks like im gonna have to build up my 1275 engine.

just means more POWERRR

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

ive found valve guides to be at fault for smoke two out of two times for me

id take the intake/exhaust off and look in the ports both times for me it was as wet as a shag with oil

coopdog

330 Posts

On 29th Dec, 2014 Turbo This.. said:
ive found valve guides to be at fault for smoke two out of two times for me

id take the intake/exhaust off and look in the ports both times for me it was as wet as a shag with oil

It's the same head as before though

But I will check,

Gonna add another breather tomorrow and see if that helps :)

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

mmm not sure how you'd feel with a "hack" fix herd of guys doing it for a smoky turbo fix till pay day sort of thing with decant results
if your not keen to rebuild and if its still making power maby try some stop smoke additive??
just an option... not sure how it will go in the turbo housing? might cause trouble?

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Me againnnn
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: