Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Non-Mini Discussion > And so it begins… Blowing a Midget!!!

Ianjtyrer

11 Posts
Member #: 11036

Wirral Merseyside

So, my dream since I was an ankle biter is to have a car with a turbo or a supercharger. Having had a couple of classic Minis, Minor 1000, Midget and a couple of modern Minis I now own a modern diesel Cooper clubman, which is my first turbo car, but a turbo diesel is just so normal and bland.

I still have my Midget and am in the process of building a garage to get it to my house from my parents garden where it is slowly dissolving under a tarp. The engine is still strong without an ounce of smoke and as it will be by my house I will be able to spend more time on it. I also now have the funds to be able to do a proper job on it and that includes engine modifications… this is where this post becomes relevant.

I am definitely going to be installing some kind of blower on it, but the big question is Supercharger or Turbocharger. My gut feeling is supercharger as there are just so many turboed cars out there and I feel like a challenge. Im thinking down the lines of an Eaton M45 as fitted to the modern Mini Cooper S or, as there seem to be loads on the market, the setup thats in the Mercedes Kompressor cars. My other thought was the smaller charger thats fitted to the VW/Audi 1.4 TFSI motors, there are a few of those knocking around as well and may be more suited to the 1275cc.

I'm no stranger to engine building but am a stranger to this kind of big modifications. (I say engine building, I mean strip down and rebuild of either broken or worn out truck engines)

What do we reckon?

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Turbo every time. There is a Midget on here with over 200hp and sub 12 second (Maybe 11 sec by now) times and it is driven to and from the drag strip.

Don,t worry about the learning curve because there is so much experience and expertise on here - and it is all freely shared -it is the way I learned anything I know about turbocharging an A series

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

welcome IMO most peeps who go super charger regret it and go turbo charger ............. thats my advise also.

lets see what other members advise ?

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Blowing a midget! Lol

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Ianjtyrer

11 Posts

Wirral Merseyside

Thanks guys. I have always wanted to put a supercharger on it, but then spotted a complete original metro turbo and carb including manifolds pop up on ebay last week and that sparked something inside my mind, then I went back to the idea of a supercharger purely because I just like the idea and simplicity of them. Now i know they're not simple, but generally speaking the principal is simple.

now I'm leaning towards a turbo again…

Ianjtyrer

11 Posts

Wirral Merseyside

Couldn't help it. It had to be said…..

On 6th Jan, 2015 John said:
Blowing a midget! Lol

theoneeyedlizard

7262 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Great thread title!

Turbo is simpler and better. Just buy all the metro gear and bolt it on.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

steve1275

849 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

This is the place to be for help on blowing an A series, in every sense! Depends what you want from the car,if it's a fast road cruiser on modest boost then a supercharger would be good. Remember though the A series crank is fashioned from a bent hairpin so won't take kindly to big low speed torque which is what the blower will deliver. also worth thinking about the rest of the drivetrain, David (tadge 44) and I have some ideas on what works and what breaks on a Midget or A35. And welcome to the forum! *happy*

'Where does the engine go?'

Ianjtyrer

11 Posts

Wirral Merseyside

On 6th Jan, 2015 theoneeyedlizard said:
Great thread title!

Turbo is simpler and better. Just buy all the metro gear and bolt it on.

Thanks!

That was my initial thought, but, if I'm modifying, i may as well do something interesting. I'm not going for massive performance, just something a little different.

Ianjtyrer

11 Posts

Wirral Merseyside

On 6th Jan, 2015 steve1275 said:
This is the place to be for help on blowing an A series, in every sense! Depends what you want from the car,if it's a fast road cruiser on modest boost then a supercharger would be good. Remember though the A series crank is fashioned from a bent hairpin so won't take kindly to big low speed torque which is what the blower will deliver. also worth thinking about the rest of the drivetrain, David (tadge 44) and I have some ideas on what works and what breaks on a Midget or A35. And welcome to the forum! *happy*

My guess is, just by looking at my midget, the half shafts will be a weak spot, not sure about the standard gearbox either, I snapped the layshaft in a gearbox, trying to get a power slide going, which when I stripped to rebuild it I discovered it was actually a Minor 1000 gearbox! Also the rear springs don't look very substantial either. Thats interesting to know about the crank! Thanks.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Brilliant thread title *Clapping*

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Just do what you fancy doing. Turbos are simple and easy and give better power but that's not really what building cars is about. Build what you want. Hey way not use both!

If you make decisions purely on how much power it will give you might aswell pop the a series in the scrap pile and fit a modern engine.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

You are right about the half shafts - but replacing just them with stronger ones just moves the problem to the rest of the transmission -but it is all solvable.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

My supercharged mini drives pretty well (about 30 miles so far...). It has better manners than an a series with a T3 turbo. There are a few issues to sort out, but I don't regret fitting it and won't be swapping it for a turbo.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Half the problem with superchargers is people fitting them badly and expect them to work like a turbo. If i was fitting one it would be blow through with proper injection and most importantly wouldn't be about massive boost. I would retain good compression ratio and optimise the engine around the strengths of a blower rather than max BHP

still in the shed

18 Posts
Member #: 11028

You have a mini engine in a mini because it's pretty much all that yu can get in there.

Midget engine.....well.

Chuck that straight out. What else could you get to fit with a bit of modding?

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

VR6 different and sounds amazing will make more than enough power stock although probably to heavy??

apbellamy

16540 Posts
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

On 7th Jan, 2015 still in the shed said:
You have a mini engine in a mini because it's pretty much all that yu can get in there

Don't be silly. You can get all sorts in there. One bloke put a rover V8 in a clubman...

i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

On 7th Jan, 2015 still in the shed said:
You have a mini engine in a mini because it's pretty much all that yu can get in there.

Midget engine.....well.

Chuck that straight out. What else could you get to fit with a bit of modding?

?? I think every kind of engine conversion has been squeezed in a mini at somepoint?

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

On 7th Jan, 2015 apbellamy said:
My supercharged mini drives pretty well (about 30 miles so far...). It has better manners than an a series with a T3 turbo. There are a few issues to sort out, but I don't regret fitting it and won't be swapping it for a turbo.

will hold you to that andy ........lol*happy*

Ianjtyrer

11 Posts

Wirral Merseyside

On 7th Jan, 2015 slater said:
Half the problem with superchargers is people fitting them badly and expect them to work like a turbo. If i was fitting one it would be blow through with proper injection and most importantly wouldn't be about massive boost. I would retain good compression ratio and optimise the engine around the strengths of a blower rather than max BHP

Definitely on my wavelength there, except I was thinking suck through with an SU carb, purely for simplicity. Then after I've had a play around with that I might start looking in to EFI. I'm not interested in raw power or track days or run what you brung. I'm even going to leave the brakes and suspension fairly standard, maybe a servo and some higher spec pads and drilled discs maybe and some poly bushes, panhard rod and anti tramp bars, just to keep the wheels on the ground!

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

That all sounds eminently sensible and exactly what I was going to do with a turbo -low blow and keep it sane.

Look where that got me with the A35 - and Robert is hinting we can squeeze some more power out of it yet.

apbellamy

16540 Posts

On 7th Jan, 2015 BENROSS said:
On 7th Jan, 2015 apbellamy said:

will hold you to that andy ........lol*happy*

I'll bring it round when it's back on the road and you can have a drive. See what you think to supercharged minis then. Tom drove it and was pleasantly surprised.

*hehe!*

steve1275

849 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Yes David I agree. We've all had a degree of 'mission creep'.....

'Where does the engine go?'

seancv1

24 Posts
Member #: 10973

has anyone looked into that podifold for the eaton charger yet ?

Home > Non-Mini Discussion > And so it begins… Blowing a Midget!!!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: