Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > piston ring gapping

tony 69

134 Posts
Member #: 10548
Advanced Member

chesterfield

As above does anyone know how big the ring gap should be on omega piston rings. I have no paperwork with mine so have no idea what it should be.

Im thinking the gap size differes from make to make is that correct. Im assuming someone on here has done this and if so what did you use to grind them down true and straight

Cheers Tony

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

I just use a good quality file...probably not perfect, but never posed any problems.

And with gaps...a little loose is always safer than too tight.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

I always use a diamond file to file them to size. I'm not sure what omega spec on their rings but I would guess around .010" to .012" and second ring and oil control ring around 015" to .020" based on we what set ours to at work and taking into consideration increase in bore size.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

tony on those omegas just fit the rings and install them they are a precision and need NO fooking about with ..... simple as buddy.

if you dont heed this advise it will all end in tears

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

As Benross says, it's very unlikely they'll need to be adjusted. Rings these days are such good quality, I've only ever had to do the odd few in several hundred fitted.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 24th Jan, 2015 matty said:
As Benross says, it's very unlikely they'll need to be adjusted. Rings these days are such good quality, I've only ever had to do the odd few in several hundred fitted.

Obviously different suppliers may take different approaches.

But as ring gap will vary with both ring type, and actual application. I havent used an aftermarket ring set in the last 15 years or so that hasnt needed gaps adjusted ( non Mini )

They are all supplied a tight fit for the bore size in question and up to you to file fit to suit your specific application. That is usually a gap relative to bore size, with gap based on usage. be it n/a, boost, nitrous, race, road etc etc

The only rings Ive used that havent needed this were OEM supplied for OEM bore sizes and applications.

It isnt a quality issue, it's simply the seller doesnt know exactly what the buyer might use them for, unless they generically supply them with large ring gaps which would be safe for all.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

tony 69

134 Posts
Member #: 10548
Advanced Member

chesterfield

Cheers guys that's really great i just got myself worried as when I placed the ring in the bore there was no gap to speak of and I was expecting to see one.

That,s my nights this week sorted now then lol

*Clapping**Clapping*

Cheers guys

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

take it easy with the file it whont take much to over shot the mark

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > piston ring gapping
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: