Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Non-Mini Discussion > l200 getting slow

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium

Hi.

I had to pull a horse traile the other day with my wife's 4x4. A mitsubishi L200 from 96. 2.5 litres. It usually had all the power you would need but now it felt ( been a 2 years since i pulled a heavy trailer with that one ) like the handbrake of the horse traile stud shut. Even had trouble getting to 90 kmh on the highways. Did get to 110 after long long full trotle driving ( like 3 or 4 miles)
Hardly made a difference between 2x4 or 4x4 yet it starts alway perfect engine runs smooth. No smoke etc. Anyone has an idea? Turbo on its way to heaven? Drives a bit bad when cold or at least my wife claimes so.

Edit: has about 85000 km on the counter and rarely gets used for of road ( maybe 300 km in its live now)

Edited by Rammie2000 on 5th Feb, 2015.

you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018

Sir Yun

510 Posts
Member #: 1592
Smart Guy!

mainland europe near ze germans

Id wager a turbo problem ( wastegate stuck open or something ? ).

maybe the brakes on the horsebox where seized *wink*

That sir, is not rust, it is the progressive mass reduction system

http://aseriesmodifications.wordpress.com/

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Post Whore

belgium

Dont think so cause i could push it by hand. Hm can i test that?

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

Rammie Blow your tyres up. ...lol and change the oil and filter and airfilter and the fuel filter is my bet.
Keep us posted.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

L200's are bloody slow anyway in my experience! Check brakes are not binding, it's common on the Shoguns don't know if the L200 brakes are the same.
Also you shouldn't use 4x4 on hard surfaces as it doesn't have a centre diff.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Post Whore

belgium

Tyres are blown for economics... ( 3.6bars) oil should have been changed in the garage last month. Don't know about other filters though.

As for 4x4 it has 2 stands of 4x4. It has road stand ( like that power gets set to the wheels with the most grip. Ment for road use. ) and lock 4x4. For driving in a field or hilclilbs on gravel and so on. Cant even drive that on a paved road. ( top speed is 60 kmh in that stand!)

edit just asked the wife. answer = "diesel filter been a while"... if she says it like this it would mean 15000 to 30000 km ago...

Edited by Rammie2000 on 5th Feb, 2015.

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Split boost hose?

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

clubman91

263 Posts
Member #: 8923

North Wales

My 2000 l200 was very sluggish when i looked N/S/F brake caliper was seized replaced that and front discs and pads...goes 10 times better now.
Mark.

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

many excellent replies there rammie ............ keep us posted buddy

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Post Whore

belgium

Ill have a look at it in the weekend if possible . And for tom fenton. Yes they are slow. Been googlin the past night and should have said underpowered?

smokestack-lightning.

144 Posts
Member #: 10557
Advanced Member

Seems to recall EGR'S on those can stick....dependant on age of vehicle in question though.

Double-Blind experiment, N:
An experiment in which the Chief Researcher believes he is
Fooling both the subject and the lab assistant. Often accompanied by
a belief in the Tooth Fairy.

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Post Whore

belgium

Okey. So as a prospectus i rang the garage. Filter was replaced 20 k ago so he says cant be that. Asked him about split hose or so same answer... then he asked are youa mecanic? Sayd no. Then hesaid then how do you know what you talk about. If there wor any problems it should show on the ecu as a fault reading. .. and besides why would you want to drive more then 80 kmh with a trailer??? Wtf!! It soaked up like 40 litres on 100 km to go 80 with a trailer and he finds that normal? Told him ill pick up the trailer come to the garage and let him test drive it. Then get my mini with the same trailer and but merely 40 hp instead of 120 hp and check the difference. .. if he dares to give me an answer like that then i swear to f... god ill run him over.

Sorry needed to vent after the answer he gave me that was more to say that im a idiot who doesn't even know ythe difference between a nut and a bold.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

Just relax and take your car somewhere else. I have to say though i find l200 s to be slow as hell lol. Turbo or turbo controll is another place to look, if its vnt and vacuum controlled an airleak in the vacuum line will stop you making boost or limit you quite a bit.

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

As Denis says take it elsewhere. I have a Shogun 3.2 and it tows brilliantly, 170bhp/275ftlb but the L200's get the 2.5 engine at 115bhp/175ftlb and it isn't great.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

oli79

1713 Posts
Member #: 8480
MS Paint flat cap champion & Morris Ital Lover

From Sheffield now live in York tha noz

Ive driven toms and it certainly shows its bigger power output like our old mk2 shogii?? 3ltr petrol and its predecessor a 2.8 diesel, whilst our challenger/l200/shogun sport is slow it will easily pull the hoss box with 2 hosses in at the legal limit, mainly cos it has fucking ridiculous gearing, meaning that any motorway work leaves me pining for the old shogie, my remedy is to just use the van instead lol. I mean they were made to fill a gap when the shogun became too expensive and high spec, so the sport is there answer to the 200 tdi defender basically, near as damit same engine output but I couldn't get a decent landie for twice what that cost me, plus it does have some marginal comforts which being Japanese still work even though its 300 years old

I have heard similar musings over egr valves however,I will stand corrected but I think its gotta be worth blanking off to try?

Edited by oli79 on 6th Feb, 2015.

On 18th Oct, 2013 apbellamy said:
I am feeling particularly BACish today.

On 5th Oct, 2014 Shauna said:
What that's crazy, you go commando hahaha! How heavy is your helmet *tongue*?

The Morris Ital assassin!

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Post Whore

belgium

My main problem with changing over garage is that its the only one miles around. Can i blanck of those egr valves my selves? And second up. Is it possible that it has one of those problems without chowing on the computer system of the car.... its freezing outside and my friends goat ( 2cv) is preventing me of driving it inside but wil try and check the boost pipes and so on from close by today. It did indeed feel like what my van had some time ago ( and that was stuck egr valves it just had a dul flat powercurve and the higher the reves the duller it felt... got that one chipped to bypas the valves because they were computer operated instead of vacuum)

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Post Whore

belgium

Gave it some time yesterday. Found that the clamp arround the bothem of the boostpipe was gone. Fittet one of those metal screw on things. Did not yet test it with a big load. Now i did some googlin in between and seen there are diesel addetiefs to clean turbos..... bardholl selles such stuf. You recon it would be worth a try to be on the safe side?

Home > Non-Mini Discussion > l200 getting slow
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: