Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > clutch balancing

fixitphil2

116 Posts
Member #: 10945
Advanced Member

scarborough/ northyorkshire

finaly got the car on the road,my spi verto clutch is not up to it so im after a upgrade, been looking at minispares turbo 20% uprated clutch, it says it will need balancing with flywheel,is this really needed?anyone not done this and had any problems?clutch was ok till i let my mate have a go in it,cheers phil

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

in a perfect world you need all the "rotating" assembly ballancing......... IT DOES MAKE A MASSIVE diffrence on how the engine runs so smoothley !!!!

its your mates right foot and boost that killed it ............ i doubt that the uprated clutch in the future would cope with anyones hunger for more power ?

fixitphil2

116 Posts
Advanced Member

So it's rts clutch or pre verto then, don't really want to go pre verto cos of thrusts wearing out , how quickly do the thrust washers wear with say a grey cover

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

Problem. With thrusts are . . . Clutch in and Mega rpm sat on the quarter mile line. . . That's where the problems come from usually not the road or track IMO.

The prevertro ultralight is much lighter than the vertro set up

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

how much poer/ boost you running? I reckon the minispares turbo 20% should be fine upto about 150hp

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

fixitphil2

116 Posts
Advanced Member

just running 7psi this year then going to up it when i upgrade pistons and gearbox,iv got a matty manifold with gt1752 so boosts up quite quick which wont help the clutch

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Why doing the pistons why not have a fully balanced rotating assembly done? Gonna boost it do it right first time

fixitphil2

116 Posts
Advanced Member

Cos of money and happy to run low boost and iron out any problems this summer,would turn boost down some more but actuator is backed off as far as it will go to save this clutch

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

id be spending the cash to make a healthy core first rather than boost a compromised engine imo

i sacrificed a new modern turbo and other things for a better long block easy to change the turbo out later vs open the engine up to balance it or change pistons or what ever
better to spend cash to get the internals and long block right then get better turbo or nice bling stuff
if you know what im mean not having a go or trying to tell you what to do im just voicing my thoughts

Edited by Turbo This.. on 9th Feb, 2015.

fixitphil2

116 Posts
Advanced Member

I know what your saying and agree but I wouldn't have the car on the road till next year, I'm shure it will be ok on low boost this year, I'm nearly 40 so have abit more mechanical sympathy than a young lad, think I'm going to go pre verto with grey now.

theoneeyedlizard

7263 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Go for the standard turbo verto or, if in doubt, the 20% updated one that Joe mentions.

I'd rather either if those in mine over a grey.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

Which clutch you choose depends on max boost.
Whether you need to balance it depends on your max RPM.

(EDIT:As pointed out by stevieturbo below, boost isn't the same as torque. One effects the other, but an oversimplification on my half to keep in context of the original question)

My non balanced 1275 saw 5000 rpm daily. It had an unbalanced, uprated clutch, but I didn't know the clutch was also imbalanced due to one of the spring fingers snapping off and rattling around inside. I was aware of a slight vibration for thousands of miles, but nothing that I would take it apart for.

My last set of mods gave more power at higher revs, so I temporarily set the rev limit to 7000 and started tuning the last part of the map... It destroyed itself in 30 minutes.

The effect of any imbalance at 5k rpm is DOUBLED at 7k rpm. If you can tune your engine to make loads of torque low down the rev range and set a sensible rev limit, IMO, you shouldn't worry about balancing it just for a clutch swap (Just don't be tempted to lift the rev limit).

Edited by PhilR on 9th Feb, 2015.

stevieturbo

3577 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Which clutch you choose depends on torque vs rpm.

Boost isnt the same.

And I'd be a bit concerned about buying any clutch where the seller is saying it has to be balanced. That would raise huge alarm bells about the quality of the parts they are selling.

All items like clutches and flywheels would be neutrally balanced as individual parts because they are changed often.

Yes there may be some longevity improvements by having these things and the entire rotating assembly balanced...but clearly that isnt always practical for all.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Minispares state that new Verto's need rebalancing with the flywheel!

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/...e/GCK151MS.aspx

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

And how many folk have ever re balanced the flywheel when changing the clutch on a Mini or Metro when there were thousands of them on the road in the 80's??
Ok nice to do but I certainly wouldn't lose much sleep about it personally. The clutches as fitted to 99% of modern cars are no different in principle to a verto and you never rebalance a modern clutch assembly before fitting it.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

fixitphil2

116 Posts
Advanced Member

It was minispares that I had seen about balancing, minispeed are selling the same clutch but don't say anything about balancing ,PHIL R that makes sense to me and I won't be taking it much over 5000 anyway not with standard cam in it, after reading everyone's posts I'm going for turbo verto20%then il have two clutches to have a go at making an rts next time round

stevieturbo

3577 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 9th Feb, 2015 Tom Fenton said:
And how many folk have ever re balanced the flywheel when changing the clutch on a Mini or Metro when there were thousands of them on the road in the 80's??
Ok nice to do but I certainly wouldn't lose much sleep about it personally. The clutches as fitted to 99% of modern cars are no different in principle to a verto and you never rebalance a modern clutch assembly before fitting it.

When I was hunting for a clutch for mine near 20 years ago, I must have tried half a dozen Vertos...

One genuine turbo spec clutch I fitted to the car and it near shook the damn thing apart !! Clearly faulty/unbalanced...but I was shocked.
It didnt grip for shit either, 7-8psi and it was fucked !

Ended up with a cheap Balco replacement for a Mini 1000...which I had to make do for years, it had no trouble at all holding over 20psi with a paddle disc.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

has anyone ever taken time to measure the ft pounds that different clutches will take like bolt the flywheel to the bench and make an old primary gear and cheep socket welded together to take a torque wrench drive? be interesting to see what combinations can be had or more so to preempt if a clutch it up to the job before balancing and all the jaz

fixitphil2

116 Posts
Advanced Member

Stevieturbo do you think il be ok to swap just the friction plate for a paddle disc? It only just slips as is, I'm not going to be doing a lot of mileage either

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Imo why the engines in bits get it balanced it's not that expensive then you have peace of mind it's done.

I properly don't need it on My 998 but it's getting itit. Difference in driving I found was very different on a friends one it idles better and revs up more freely. The lads on here have tired everything and made the mistakes learn from them. They've taught Me alot since joining.

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

That would work in a fashion for a static load test, the tricky bit would be to test dynamic load like when slipping/re-engaging the clutch after a gear change. I also guess heat becomes a factor here too.

On 10th Feb, 2015 Turbo This.. said:
has anyone ever taken time to measure the ft pounds that different clutches will take like bolt the flywheel to the bench and make an old primary gear and cheep socket welded together to take a torque wrench drive? be interesting to see what combinations can be had or more so to preempt if a clutch it up to the job before balancing and all the jaz

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

stevieturbo

3577 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

I found the strongest clutch for mine through a simple test....but I did have access to multiple clutches to do so.

Set cover on the floor, place the cup over the fingers and stand on it.

Some would depress the fingers with ease, some actually took a good push to depress them. These were by far the strongest clutches.
Even for clutches in the same packaging, intended for same fitment...the vast difference in diaphragm strength was shocking.

This test wont give you any units of measurement as far as torque ability goes....but it's a fast and easy test if you have a few covers sitting about.

It was easy for me as mini/metro clutches would have been more popular back then and the local factors always had several in stock I could check out before considering trying them. Plus I had a good few OEM and turbo clutches from cars I took apart.

I used the same cover for many many miles, easily over 100k.
That said, I did have the friction surface replaced at least twice and also flywheels as the paddle discs did eat into them with normal daily use.
But the main flat steel bit and diaphragm spring remained the same.
It wouldnt last forever though, as where the cup presses on the fingers was wearing

As John says, getting a real test figure would be impossible...but getting a simple clamp/diaphragm clamp strength should be easier.
Testing the fingers as I describe is almost the same....end of the day if it's harder for you to depress the fingers, you can be 99% sure it will also clamp harder.

@ Phil, if the organic plate was hanging on well then yes I'd have good confidence a paddle disc would make a huge difference. Certainly isnt expensive to try it.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

This balncingv thing is very subjective. The verto clutch was a complete balanced unit, flywheel included which is why(as well as a financial gain point of view) Rover only sold complete balnced assemblies more so towards the end.what that meant was the whole assembly was a single balanced unit rather than indivudual balanced parts. This is the current situation. I have found huge variation in balance of just the verto pressure plates. Add that to a flywheel balanced as a single unit from another clutch and it either gets bettet or Worse

it us generally assumed that it is going to be balanced as an assembly so the individual parts are supplied un balanced.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

t3gav

2395 Posts
Member #: 229
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

100% balance them as an assembly. AP themselves do not recommend fitting or trying to balance the clutch by itself.

stevieturbo

3577 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

I have never seen any aftermarket Verto clutch of any make been sold with a flywheel.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Home > General Chat > clutch balancing
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: