Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Beginners Tech > 16V Conversion plate seal

R.Rodrigues

67 Posts
Member #: 8956
Advanced Member

Algarve/Portugal

Hi, what do you guys say for using this type off seal for the bottom plate of my 16V conversion?
I'm not using the cast front plate, will machine a 16mm alloy to fit the cam thrust plate and this seal whit 80x40x8.

The other option is to fabricate another peace whit a oring sealing on the outside and a small seal whit 3 holes for the 1/4 allen bolts as some aftermarket kits.

just saves time doing another peace and I dont have unf allen bolts available in Portugal, only UNC bolts.

Nick king

65 Posts
Member #: 9646
Advanced Member

Bristol England

I made all my plates to use the standard size front crank seal, I made the plates with clearance holes for the cams, then fitted rings with seals in to the cams, marked out and drilled n tapped to attach. I made stub shafts to extend the cams and to mount the pulleys, the seals run on those. The plates are made from 10mm aluminium gauge plate. I drilled and tapped the original cam to take the bolt as pictured.
For the top the bmw cams have a M10x1 thread, if you get the BMW crank pulley bolts they fit and are long enough.
Pic 3 shows the plate before I fitted the triangle cam retainer, I cut out the plate to clear the retainer before fitting the rings and seals, but before that I machined a 15mm slot in the back of the plate joining the cam hole to the crank hole, this was for oil return.

Attachments:

Edited by Nick king on 27th Feb, 2015.

R.Rodrigues

67 Posts
Member #: 8956
Advanced Member

Algarve/Portugal

I'm using the std mini front seal for head and crank also, for the top I use a 10mm alloy also.

For the bottom I like the idea of only one 16mm plate whit seals, the camshaft thrust plate will fit in a 80mm hole and take this seal above, an 8mm seal will stay at face whit alloy, 4mm seal plate 2,3mm cam retainer and 8mm seal.

If this type of seal cant handle whit the oil, I have do make another peace with a smaller seal and use the 1/4 holes from the retainer to fix it, a bit like yours but flushed on the 16mm alloy.

A bit like this...
https://twincammini.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/img_1298.jpg

Edited by R.Rodrigues on 28th Feb, 2015.

Home > Beginners Tech > 16V Conversion plate seal
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: