Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > Exhaust manifold pressure reading

Custard

283 Posts
Member #: 8215

Rayleigh

So I've been speaking to a Chris from chris isaacs race cars about my custom manifold.

I asked how to find out if it's restricting power and he said I need to monitor the back pressure in the manifold before the turbo.

Does anyone do this? If so what have you used?

He said the EMAP should rise fairly evenly with the boost, and obviously if it gets a lot more then it's becoming restrictive.

Cheers

Dave the Cake

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

compression fitting(or similar) in exhaust, length of metal pipe so the gasses can cool down a bit (remember theres no flow just pressure so you dont need to go nuts) then normal hose and a suitable pressure transducer.

All that said I dont see how that will tell you if the manifold is restrictive, itl only tell you if stuff downstream of the pressure tap is restrictive, i.e turbo/exhaust. perhaps he meens monitor back pressure at close to the head? or even better, at head and turbo ? I dunno. quite a complicated dynamic to try and measure.

EDIT
Infact the more i think about it, the more i think you simply cant determine an exhaust manifolds effectiveness by simple pressure taps. I meen, if you measured the pressure at the exahsut port, then measured it at the collector (pre-turbo) as the area in the collector is larger itll give a lower pressure, and thus the appearance of a restriction. and god knows what all the pulses and still burning gasses and all that do. The only way really is to go by rules of thumb, and if your loaded/desperate, make two manifolds and try em on the rollers to see what direction to go in.

Edited by evolotion on 25th Feb, 2015.

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

jakejakejake1

293 Posts
Member #: 10010

Northants

On a similar note, I would like to measure exhaust pressure on our Formula Student car, as it will be running a turbocharged single cylinder, and I'm interested in the effect of the single pulses on turbo speed.

Is there a way to monitor the exhaust pressure as accurate as possible, as using a long line to reduce temperatures will also dampen out the pulses I suspect.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

Use a transducer thats rated to a very high temp and a nice short metal line?

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Custard

283 Posts

Rayleigh

Humm I really don't know, he definitely said to take the reading from the collector. He seems like a very knowledgable bloke and I didn't understand all of what he said.

I was hoping someone has done it on here and could shed more light lol

Dave the Cake

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

What you would actually be measuring is the turbine inlet pressure.

I have this, although I've never rigged it up to a transducer:

I have an array of the MS map sensors setup on an IO Extender to collect the pressure data from 4 different places.

I did some heat transfer simulations recently and actually found that the length of pipe, in stainless, does not need to be more than 100mm long:

However, this would not give you any information regarding the performance of your manifold. It would just tell you the exhaust pressure required to generate your set boost.

The cycle average pressure would normally be 1 bar above boost pressure. However, through a cycle this could swing 1 bar either way. So if you are running 1 bar boost, the exhaust pressure will swing between 1 and 3 bar during a single engine cycle.

The important thing in turbo manifold design is not to make it less restrictive, but to time the pulses, by adjusting runner length, so that you get the low pressure pulse at the back of the exhaust valve when its open. After all, that's what an LCB does.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Similar bit of pipe to Paul's, for the same reason, and also waiting to be installed...
The usual Freescale sensor is only 2.5bar(a) but they are available in higher pressure ratings.
Re. the Formula Student question, stainless bodied sensors are available at a reasonable price but the electronics inside (and plastic terminal connector) would probably still die so why not make the tube the largest practicable diameter. That would avoid the pulses being damped and, because of the greater surface area, could possibly be even shorter and still dissipate the heat.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 25th Feb, 2015 Custard said:
So I've been speaking to a Chris from chris isaacs race cars about my custom manifold.

I asked how to find out if it's restricting power and he said I need to monitor the back pressure in the manifold before the turbo.

Does anyone do this? If so what have you used?

He said the EMAP should rise fairly evenly with the boost, and obviously if it gets a lot more then it's becoming restrictive.

Cheers

What is the design, application and expected power output ?

And the longish line used to allow exhaust gases to cool slightly before the sensor will have negligible effect on the readings

And in most cases, the turbine/housing is the main restriction anyway, so even horrific looking manifolds can make huge power.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

i was shocked to look down the metro t3 and see like a 15mm hole that the engine must breath threw instantly thought how the heck will this make power pushing the exhaust past that then i thought well its only going to flow threw there till its at full boost then it gets bypassed in the waste gate so not all that bad really but defiantly the biggest restriction to bulk flow in the whole exhaust system

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

As said above, its the turbo that is going to cause the restriction as long as the manifold is something like sensible. But I think measuring the back pressure in the manifold is still a useful exercise, it could maybe point you towards running a slighly "larger" turbo at less boost pressure to make the same power for e.g.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 27th Feb, 2015 Turbo This.. said:
i was shocked to look down the metro t3 and see like a 15mm hole that the engine must breath threw instantly thought how the heck will this make power pushing the exhaust past that then i thought well its only going to flow threw there till its at full boost then it gets bypassed in the waste gate so not all that bad really but defiantly the biggest restriction to bulk flow in the whole exhaust system

And a metro T3 is huge by modern standards, in every respect

When you compare it to modern units that are capable of 150-200hp, including diesels etc...it's huge !

There is no doubt that manifold design, tube sizes etc can affect many aspects of performance, but from an outright ability to make power...almost anything will work.

I know it's at the comical end...but check out the "sloppy mechanics" guys. Yes some of it is laughable...but bare in mind it's all very much cheap DIY, they use junkyard engines for a few hundred dollars and chinese turbos etc And most go remarkably fast for very very little money !

And some of that isnt even the worst I've seen LOL

http://sloppymechanics.blogspot.co.uk/2013...hung-turbo.html

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Any combination of pipes will "work", but if you want the most power for a given boost, then the design needs to be pretty precise.

Particularly with the 5-Port. The centre siamese exhaust port is sensitive to poor design, in my experience.

Material costs for a decent manifold is less then £100 and if you have the welder, then it is money well spent in terms of hp/£.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

on the subjecto of manifold fabbing this series of vids is quite useful,

stick with it ( all 6) theres a few obvious but useful hints I hadnt thought of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9knDsi-td8

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Custard

283 Posts

Rayleigh

Thanks for all the replies!

Here's my manifold

It made 140bhp and 160lbs at 15psi

From memory they are 1 1/2" pipes

Dave the Cake

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

There is no way ever that would restrict power on an A-series.

The scroll in the turbo is probably less than half the diameter of any 1 of those tubes.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Custard

283 Posts

Rayleigh

Fair enough :)

Dave the Cake

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Pipes are too large on diameter and too short in length for maximum power.

Just saying.

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

Makes sense Paul and I understand you've got the simulations to back it up. But 95% of OEM manifolds are short, uneven lengths - is it really so bad?

If you wanted to go with the same shape as Custard's, for packaging reasons, what's a good diameter tube to use?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

No, it's not bad just not the best way to do it, particularly with the 5-Port.

I'm way past just simulations, just need the cars sorted to get some real data.

As you suggest OEMs don't do it because of packaging reasons.

If you are putting the turbo at the back of the engine, then the 38mm/1 1/2" pipe is best because it creates low amplitude pulses that do not have too much negative impact.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

On 28th Feb, 2015 Custard said:
From memory they are 1 1/2" pipes

On 28th Feb, 2015 Paul S said:

Just saying.

On 1st Mar, 2015 Paul S said:
If you are putting the turbo at the back of the engine, then the 38mm/1 1/2" pipe is best because it creates low amplitude pulses that do not have too much negative impact.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 28th Feb, 2015 Paul S said:

Just saying.

I'm sure cam profile, head design, exhaust design, intake design, turbocharger etc are also not best for "maximum" power..

And with approx 150hp build...clearly "maximum" power isnt the ultimate goal.

As with OEM and many builds, maximum power is really the least of the considerations. Spool, spread of torque, power delivery etc are all more important, simply because actually making good power is the easiest bit and where the driver spends least time using.

There is no need to over think things. The manifold will work just fine.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

So if you can't tune / lengthen the runners to make use of the pulses, then just make the pipe large enough that it has no +ve or -ve effect ?

I cut up an old LCB to make a temporary turbo manifold. I'm certain it will work fine, but will be one of the first things I change once the car is up and running so looking forward to seeing the results Paul.

Edited by PhilR on 1st Mar, 2015.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

haha,

If you want maximum power from a given boost use smaller, longer pipes to generate pulses to improve cylinder scavenging and filling. This invariably means a remote/side mounted turbo as the space is not available.

If you put the turbo down the back of the engine, there is not enough space for the longer pipes, so make them bigger to reduce the pulse amplitude otherwise the small pipes could have a negative impact on cylinder VE.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Measuning exhaust pressure on its own is meaningless. You neet to compare it to inlet manifold pressure. This gives you engine pressure ratio. Anything above 1:3 is considered poor, while 1:1 is excellent and achievable, it requires careful consideration of complete engine design.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Isn't that what that nut-job Mini1071 used to bang on about?

He was aiming for less that 1:1 iirc? But that might need magic to achieve!

On 1st Mar, 2015 Sprocket said:
Measuning exhaust pressure on its own is meaningless. You neet to compare it to inlet manifold pressure. This gives you engine pressure ratio. Anything above 1:3 is considered poor, while 1:1 is excellent and achievable, it requires careful consideration of complete engine design.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Home > Technical Chat > Exhaust manifold pressure reading
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: