Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Carb Fan / Cooling (UPDATE)

mossy2a

389 Posts
Member #: 9751

Derbyshire

Gents,

Just looking for a little help advise.

Its been a while since I've had the mini out and it was a nice day on saturday so i fired her up and went for a blast. The only changes since emu last outings is i have managed to fit the bonnet properly. Perviously it was raised at the rear due to the piping around the plenum chamber just stopping the bonnet fitting correct. I have since changed the hoses and done some repositioning.

Anyway...... After 10-15 minutes of blasting around (fairly spirited driving) i had to pull to one side of the road to let a car past traffic, on depressing the clutch the mini cut out. It didn't start straight away and after 5 minutes of having the bonnet off and having a poke around i didn't see anything wrong. I then went back in the car and it started.

I turned around and started to go home, it happened again when i pulled up to a junction. It wouldn't start immediately again.

I tried multiple things to get it started immediately, no choke, then choke, open throttle, no throttle etc. with no luck

I think it is the fuelling. The carb getting hot and fuel changing phase within it.

It sort of makes sense to me due to the change in air flow through the engine bay and my fairly spirited driving.

I do have a stainless steel heat shield fitted.

I have made up some prototypes for a small fan above the carb on a thermostatic switch and have also extended the heat shield to come further round the carb past the throttle and choke but with a hole for the mixture screw.

Here are a few mock ups of the fan plate.

I plan on running some ducting to the fan..

whats your thoughts...

Edited by mossy2a on 8th Mar, 2015.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Before owt else I would return the bonnet to where it was eg raised and see if your problem goes away. The Metro turbos were known for poor hot starting but that was usually when shut down and left for 5 minutes say at a petrol station.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

I had the same problem on a n/a 998. One of the plug leads was breaking down with high under bonnet temps. It would splutter and die. 5 minutes later it would run fine for a short while.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

mossy2a

389 Posts

Derbyshire

maybe i have jumped to conclusions.......

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

On 26th Feb, 2015 mossy2a said:
maybe i have jumped to conclusions.......

i think so, my guess is that theres another fault here ....... coil braking down or what andy has mentioned

many contraptions have been knocked togeather to sort the hot starting out ........ sadley to no avail *frown*

IMO hot starting its vapor lock what causes the problem ......... we all learn to live with it *smiley*

would be a nice for a easy solution to sort this, i have placed heat resistant padding in the heat shield this helps some what.

Edited by BENROSS on 26th Feb, 2015.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

The A35 used to be a real pain to start when hot, but since Robert set it up it is fine.even when it has stood for 5 minutes.

I do have a cold air feed to the area round the hot side of the engine, but that stops when the car does, of course.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

another good head scratcher that can cause this is the little black module on the side of the dizzy.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

Crap in the fuel tank ! Check your inline filter etc

mossy2a

389 Posts

Derbyshire

Im running MJ. Although like several of you guys have said, it could well be the coil / leads / plugs.

On 26th Feb, 2015 Joe C said:
another good head scratcher that can cause this is the little black module on the side of the dizzy.

mossy2a

389 Posts

Derbyshire

It was weird, when it did start, it would rev freely and pick up like normal, it was only on idle it would go to die.

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

whats the in car afr gauge say when this happens?

perhaps take a spare plug and ground wire with you and when it whont start check each lead has spark on in??

have you got fuel pressure during the no start deal

on a side note be good if there was a way to have a feed and return in the bowl to allways have fresh fuel in there so long as the pumps running like when you fill up the tank and go to hot start it put the key on ign for 30 seconds then start it and hae fresh cold fuel in the bowl

mossy2a

389 Posts

Derbyshire

OMFG

after many many hours of checking, cleaning and eetting up i 'think' i have found my problem.

I have not fixed it yet but i can replicate my problem.

I have checked the coils, had them tested, new plugs, seed around with the carb done everything. It was only in the heat of the moment i took the damper out the top and it started and idled perfectly, revved ok. I put the cap back on and it seemed ok. went for a blast and the twat cut out again. Took the damper out and the needle holder is not fully returning without a faint touch, something is catching somewhere but until further investigation when i touch the top of the needle holder (i don't know its technical name) it would return a further 8 isn mm and then fire straight back up and rev nicely.

I think i got away with it zoo much on my spirited drive as i was normally no where near tick over.

hopefully tonight i can take it app ark and find the reason.

thanks for all the replies. fingers crossed

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

perhaps the ball bearings in the damper plunger bit are crappy?

mossy2a

389 Posts

Derbyshire

I had many hours working on this last night, and found the carb body had some sharp burrs, must have been from factory. I removed and polished with 1500 grit on both slider assembly and carb and it now works a treat, strats, stops, starts again. its like magic..

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

And here is you making up brackets and wiring in fans *hehe!*

Sometimes the simplest things are the most dificult to see

Edited by Sprocket on 9th Mar, 2015.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

On 27th Feb, 2015 cossierick said:
Crap in the fuel tank !

How often do you have to do this?

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

*hehe!*

On 9th Mar, 2015 John said:
On 27th Feb, 2015 cossierick said:
Crap in the fuel tank !

How often do you have to do this?
*hehe!*

Dazed and Confused....

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Member #: 648
Post Whore

Northern Ireland (ex AUS)

I had something similar happen, the piston would stick a bit in the carb during a bit of a blat and not return back down. It would stall and not start, if I pulled the plunger out it would drop and the problem was fixed. In my case I had some grit in the carb sticking the piston, it turned out to be swarf coming from my modded intercooler.

On 7th Nov, 2008 Nic said:
naeJ
m
!!!!!!sdrawkcab si gnihtyreve ?droabyekym ot deneppah sah tahw ayhwdd

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Carb Fan / Cooling (UPDATE)
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: