Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Meight the mini. Now mini van

BronkoMini

301 Posts
Member #: 10610

Wiltshire

On 16th Dec, 2018 Steve220 said:
I made a bracket for the GT17 as no one seemed to make a good enough mounting solution.

That looks neat, it looks like its gonna be nicely tucked away

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

Glad you found it!
HAHA yeah he did a great job of polishing it! *oh well*

On 15th Dec, 2018 nev100 said:
Ah ha.....

Bryn. Just found your post mate.

Looking forward to reading through from the start.

One thing I've just noticed, is your brothers highly polished oil filter !!

Neil (Mini Fixers)

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

So went to my local metal supliers to get some sheet and it looks like they've shut for Christmas, buggger!

Anyway, had a play around with what i want to do for the fuel return, took out all the carpet and some sound deadening to give access to the harness points so i can make up spreader plates for them as there's not even washers on the under side*surprised* You can see the 2 nuts in the pic below:
I'm gonna T in to the rubber pipe from the tank to pump, gonna put new rubber in there too:
Untitled by Bryn Kinsman, on Flickr
Some piping and connections etc:
This is it with all the deadeing etc in it, theres a fair weight to it all, also had to take all the other stuff out which was in there, like tables and chairs haha:
Here it is striped out, i removed the front passenger seat, next was to remove the seat frame, but i couldnt do that as its gonna take two of us so will have to wait for tomorrow, then i can remove all the carpet and start drilling:

Edited by BronkoMini on 21st Dec, 2018.

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

Maybe it has been mentioned, but I hope you haven't just swapped the diff covers from, only the diff itself?
Did you shim it properly afterwards?

On 21st Mar, 2018 BronkoMini said:
So i Swapped the diffs over, hace got it sat home but it seems pretty tight turning it even with it out of gear etc, im sure it shouldnt be so tight, ive had a google and cant find anything.
The old and new
The hole
It sitting flush but bolts not done up

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Also that pump won't be suitable for turbo use unless you're using it as a lift pump

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

Yeah i shimmed it up properly after as far as im aware, i hope ive done it right haha

On 28th Dec, 2018 Vegard said:

Maybe it has been mentioned, but I hope you haven't just swapped the diff covers from, only the diff itself?

On 21st[/quote BronkoMini said:

Edited by BronkoMini on 29th Dec, 2018.

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Did you swap the diff covers as these a machined clamped to the box casing so effectively a matched pair.

Shane

On 29th Dec, 2018 BronkoMini said:
Yeah i shimmed it up properly after as far as im aware, i hopw ive done it right haha

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

So im hopeing this is ok but im not sure now.
Put some p clips in:
So its an 8mm ID braided line going into a 8mm T piece, which has a 8mm ID rubber line running to the pump then a 8mm rubber line to an 8-6mm reducer to a 6mm ID rubber line which goes to the solid line leading to the fuel tank.
It looks so bodged with all the cable ties. Theyre just holding it out of the way, also, put some rubber pipe over the braided line where it comes into contact with the subframe:
So it all came to a stop when i started on drilling the holes in the front, lifted the carpet and sound deadening and it was sodden, and there was a hole and the floor was pretty damaged so im gonna have to weld it up before i go any further:

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

I can't actually remember what i did, so you're supposed to use the same casing that was on the gearbox orrigonally and just change the diff inside it, and then re shim it?
Thanks

On 29th Dec, 2018 shane said:

Did you swap the diff covers as these a machined clamped to the box casing so effectively a matched pair.

Shane

Yeah i shimmed it up properly after as far as im aware, i hopw ive done it right haha

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

The cover should remain with its original casing as they are line bored, swapping them leads to a potential misalignment of the bearing holes/retainers.
Another thing to be mindful of is some of the casings were machined to be used with a dab of RTV sealant others with use of a paper gasket. I think it was on the guessworks mini gearbox site I read this?
To check you’d need to pop the diff out refit the cover and measure it for trueness and size.

Shane

I can't actually remember what i did, so you're supposed to use the same casing that was on the gearbox orrigonally and just change the diff inside it, and then re shim it?
Thanks

On 29th Dec, 2018 shane said:

Shane

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

I’m pretty sure I used the cases from the gearbox, also looking through my pictures it looks like the one that was on there so hopefully it should be ok and as you say I did originally use gaskets but then got advised that it should just be the sealent so I took it all off and just used sealent. Thanks for the advice

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

I’ll go and have a check when I next work on it as I’d rather be safe and make sure it’s correct

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

Another bad day today!
So i set about finishing off the oil drain, spent ages filing the holes making sure they were of the right size etc:
Cutting out the rough shape out of the sheet metal:
Cut out and marked up where i need to drill:
Cut off the tube from the old one:
Went to tack it together and i had no gas, i did check before i started but i ran out just as i started.
[/url]Untitled by Bryn Kinsman, on Flickr
Id already decided i was gonna go big bottle after i used this small one up, but didnt think id run out this quick.
So i went on hobby weld found my local dealer, phoned them up and reserved what i needed, told them id be straight over, went out side and my bloody land rover started then died straight away ffs, i nearly cried haha, i hope its nothing bad as im running out of money and i dont get a lot from work currently. So borrowed my brothers car, £150 later and i have this:
I ordered a welding trolley in machine marts VAT free day, the other day, just waiting for it to get delivered to the store before i can pick it up and start welding again.

Also waiting on my brother to stop being lazy and order a fuel pump, and adjustable engine steady etc from turbo Phil, before i can sort out the fuel lines properly

Edited by BronkoMini on 15th Jan, 2019.

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

It’s normally the minis getting recovered haha
https://flic.kr/p/Quma6F

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

Well that didn’t work 😂

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Ah! Whats wrong?

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

On 16th Jan, 2019 minimole23 said:
Ah! Whats wrong?

Im not actually sure, some sort of fulling issue, its still at the garage, and ive not heard anything back yet

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

So on the way back from the most Northern point in Wales i stopped in at Machine Mart and picked up my order, i've put it all together now, i made the most of the vat free code, oops:
Having done this it meant i could use my welder, so i finished welding up the oil return, i went overkill massively, so i spent a good hour grinding and filling it so it looks presentable, not that it will be visible once on, just needs some paint then i can put it on:

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

Finally got the right fuel pump, need to fit this, my brother got it from Turbo Phil at bingley, which i must say was an awful show, was nice to see some turbo cars to look at routing of pipes etc, also bought a multi coloured steady bar, my brother must have taken 10 mins to choose which colours he wanted.

So ive got the turbo and carb etc on, plumbed it all in, just need a 90 degree hose for the drain, also im an idiot and cut the water drain pipe shorter and realised it was long so it could be routed out of the way of the exhaust haha:
So next is to, sort out the hoses, Fit thermostat housing, radiator piped and bracket, might have to make a bracket for the radiator, make up the actuator bracket, am thinking i'll weld the bracket to one of the ends of the water pipe on the inlet manifold as im not gonna use that. i think that's about it before we can drop the engine in.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

What made bingley awful?

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

It wasn't as busy as usual, there seemed to be a lot less stands, for example there were no racing minis. Obviously this is my personal opinion, there just seemed to be something else missing, but i cant put my finger on it. Just to be cheesy there was only a couple of turbo minis that i saw with their bonnets open haha

On 2nd Feb, 2019 D4VE said:
What made bingley awful?

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

One day i'll actually have a good update.
So ive been flat out at work, travelling all over the country, so not had much time on this.

I ordered a bloody expensive but of silicon pipe for the turbo drain but the angle is to big plus i cant get the tube over the drain pipe when i have a clamp on it so im gonna have to adapt it by welding more tube on at varying different angles, need to buy some now.
Also put the radiator piping on and the electric fan. Re did the water drain so that's right.
Shouldn't be much longer before its in, i keep saying that haha

nev100

2 Posts
Member #: 11838

Got on with it you two !!!!

Ha ha, can't wait to see it running.

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

On 15th Feb, 2019 nev100 said:
Got on with it you two !!!!

Ha ha, can't wait to see it running.

Thanks for the encouragement. We’ve had the new bit of fuel pipe and reducer arrive so I can get on with plumbing on the new fuel pump. I’ve made all the bracket up and that. It’s just a case of putting it all together now

Home > Show Us Yours! > Meight the mini. Now mini van
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: